Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Prepare early for a meltdown!!!

I think it's getting pretty clear that none of these guys will be at IU next year. I really hope I'm wrong. Also PU seems to be on Brown very hard. Let's not lose him to those guys. Please lord.

IMO odds are we still land Davis and Brown. Though odds arent as good as they were couple months ago. If we lose both and Brown goes to PU, UGH!

Going to be a GREAT 6 days to be a Hoosier!!
Day 1 - Victory
Day 2 - watch victory replay on TV
Day 3 - get big time commit
Day 4 - get big time commit
Day 5 - Victory (that counts)
Day 6 - watch victory replay on TV (hopefully it airs)

Day 1 - Victory

I like your line of thought.

Day 1 - Victory

These things would make me happy.

I think it's getting pretty clear that none of these guys will be at IU next year. I really hope I'm wrong. Also PU seems to be on Brown very hard. Let's not lose him to those guys. Please lord.

The only thing clear right now is that Kegler is going to MSU. Other than that, everything else is pretty damn cloudy.

Saw where Davis is not only giving verbal but signing his LOI on Thursday... Any word if Kegler is doing the same... I have a strong feeling they both are #in but a LOI is even better than the verbals

Let's say you were looking at two programs. Both out of state (so you did not grow up dreaming of playing for one of them). As you near your decision some of the negative recruiting about whether CTC will be at IU for your 2,3 or 4 years begins to really look realistic. Meanwhile your second choice is an upstart program that is bringing in a lot of talent with a coach that coached in 3 FFs. Sure he had some baggage too but he is hungry now to rebuild his rep and build a winner.

So if we had 11k show up vs them having 3k but the pitch you get is that as you build this the 3k will grow every year there is an appeal Especially when the bigger more traditional school has much of its fan base questioning their coach.

The problem is that Howland's time in Miss St. will end one of two ways.  With low expectations he will do great and jump ship a la Petrino.  No way does he voluntarily stick around a football school any longer than is necessary to jumpstart his career.  Alternatively, Miss St. continues their current ways, and he ends up fired and coaching DIII at Depauw.  If I am Davis, neither of those things sound pleasurable to me.  Just as much risk with Howland not being there after 2 years as there is that Crean is gone from IU (granted, Crean may be out one year earlier).

The problem is that Howland's time in Miss St. will end one of two ways.  With low expectations he will do great and jump ship a la Petrino.  No way does he voluntarily stick around a football school any longer than is necessary to jumpstart his career.  Alternatively, Miss St. continues their current ways, and he ends up fired and coaching DIII at Depauw.  If I am Davis, neither of those things sound pleasurable to me.  Just as much risk with Howland not being there after 2 years as there is that Crean is gone from IU (granted, Crean may be out one year earlier).

The difference is, Howland isn't at Miss State because he hasn't had his shot. He was the HC at a blue blood, did quite well, and was fired because he had dwindling returns and off-the-court issues. So, a few seasons of good recruiting at Miss State and outperforming expectations doesn't get him to a lot of places. There aren't a lot of ships for him to jump to that weren't there when he took the Miss State job. He would have to be very very successful to make people forget his last few years at UCLA.

The difference is, Howland isn't at Miss State because he hasn't had his shot. He was the HC at a blue blood, did quite well, and was fired because he had dwindling returns and off-the-court issues. So, a few seasons of good recruiting at Miss State and outperforming expectations doesn't get him to a lot of places. There aren't a lot of ships for him to jump to that weren't there when he took the Miss State job. He would have to be very very successful to make people forget his last few years at UCLA.

Desperate people forget quickly, look no further than Petrino, Rodriguez, Eddie Sutton, Kelvin Sampson, Pearl.  Coaches may fall down a rung, but they are immediately looking to move back up it again.  And someone on the next rung is always willing to give that second chance.

Desperate people forget quickly, look no further than Petrino, Rodriguez, Eddie Sutton, Kelvin Sampson, Pearl.  Coaches may fall down a rung, but they are immediately looking to move back up it again.  And someone on the next rung is always willing to give that second chance.

The more desperate a school is, the more desperate the measures they take in hiring HC's. Indiana will be desperate when looking for their next HC but they won't be desperate enough to take a chance on a guy who has already been fired for bad performance at a blueblood program. We will be looking for a superstar HC. Either one who already has a stellar resume, with little to no blemishes, or a young coach who is majorly trending upward and shares most or all of the characteristics that the game's most elite coaches share.   

The more desperate a school is, the more desperate the measures they take in hiring HC's. Indiana will be desperate when looking for their next HC but they won't be desperate enough to take a chance on a guy who has already been fired for bad performance at a blueblood program. We will be looking for a superstar HC. Either one who already has a stellar resume, with little to no blemishes, or a young coach who is majorly trending upward and shares most or all of the characteristics that the game's most elite coaches share.   

Don't think Howland will end up at IU, just saying that I highly doubt he will be at Miss St for the entirety of DD's career if DD is is including coaching stability in his decision process.

The problem is that Howland's time in Miss St. will end one of two ways. With low expectations he will do great and jump ship a la Petrino. No way does he voluntarily stick around a football school any longer than is necessary to jumpstart his career. Alternatively, Miss St. continues their current ways, and he ends up fired and coaching DIII at Depauw. If I am Davis, neither of those things sound pleasurable to me. Just as much risk with Howland not being there after 2 years as there is that Crean is gone from IU (granted, Crean may be out one year earlier).

As others have said a coach like Howland who is on the rebound will take a little longer to bolt. I think that may be the primary argument though and a coach who is not likely to stay four years because of success is probably more enticing than a situation where the coach is not likely to stay because of the lack of success.

That being said, I think IU should be his choice - I presented this because someone mentioned that there weren't good reasons for him to choose MSU over IU.

Don't think Howland will end up at IU, just saying that I highly doubt he will be at Miss St for the entirety of DD's career if DD is is including coaching stability in his decision process.

I agree. Not sure why, but the other half of my post is missing.