Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

Analysis: Plenty of blame to go around in most recent debacle

When you're up 52-27 you should never ever, EVER lose.  After all of the bad defense and two interceptions they had 3rd and 1 to keep the ball and possibly drive to a winning FG. THEY LOST 3 YDS ON THE PLAY.  PITIFUL. 

Wilson has to go. I hate saying it because that condemns IU to a few more losing seasons while a coaching staff gains traction. However, look at the writing on the wall for future teams under Wilson. I think it's safe to say that next year's team will not be as good as this one. New qb, Howard possible pro, graduations and the same old defense to go with it. If Wilson can't win with this team, he won't win with any future IU team. He hasn't earned an extension of his contract and without one, recruiting will probably suffer. IU needs to take the sour medicine after the season, get a new head coach and suffer a couple more losing seasons in favor of a brighter future.

This loss is very painful to handle by everyone who is looking for better football outcomes this year.  The primary criticism I have had with Coach Kevin Wilson, is that he tends to "shutdown" the offense when we are clicking. We should start calling him Captain Shutdown, and everyone would identify with it.  One other thing, the defense just isn't that good or Rutgers would not be able to tag 55 on us.

I guess we need to keep pressing on so to speak.

Wilson is the problem. Boring predictable play calling instead of keeping the gas on....goes into conservative mode. It's on him and its ultimately on him.

There's no point in looking for a new coach unless we are willing to spend the money to hire a proven winner. IU football is a dumpster fire and has been for decades through several different coaches. If we are not going to spend the money necessary to hire a top ten type coach then we might as well be happy with what we have.

There's no point in looking for a new coach unless we are willing to spend the money to hire a proven winner. IU football is a dumpster fire and has been for decades through several different coaches. If we are not going to spend the money necessary to hire a top ten type coach then we might as well be happy with what we have.

Top ten coach???? Now that's just reaching.

Do you have any idea how much money it would take to bring a top 10 coach to IUFB?  It would take an amount not even Superman would be able to lift.  Not gonna happen.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do better, that's a defeatist attitude.

Offer Jeremy Pruitt a competitive salary.  If he doesn't bite go after someone like Rod Carey.  Either way we'd have to be willing to give the assistants competitive salaries too, which we should be anyway.  This "we're not gonna do any better" crap is a losers mentality.

Iu football is bad and always will be. Some things will just never change

P

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

No one is expecting us to compete for national titles in football, but even for IUFB a 52-27 lead should be safe especially when the opponent is Rutgers.  That's not just a "we're bad" moment, that's so pathetic someone should lose their job over it.

What is a reasonable expectation for IU football? Are we hoping for a middle third of the conference most years? Do we want more? Our recruiting, while better, is still bottom half of the conference. We need something that will change the pattern. A loss like yesterday sets the program back in just about every way. I guess I just don't see why we can't be as good as teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan State year in and year out.

What is a reasonable expectation for IU football? Are we hoping for a middle third of the conference most years? Do we want more? Our recruiting, while better, is still bottom half of the conference. We need something that will change the pattern. A loss like yesterday sets the program back in just about every way. I guess I just don't see why we can't be as good as teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan State year in and year out.

If you were to see their facilities and football revenue you would understand.

A few thoughts... two days after the fact:

- I mentioned this right after Game #1 this year... there will be a few games when we look pretty good and there will be a few games where we look horrible. We just needed to play well in the "toss up" games because that would determine whether we were going bowling or not. We played well enough versus Western Kentucky and Wake Forest. And we absolutely killed ourselves in the 4th quarter of a very important game vs. a not-so-good Rutgers. IU football has little margin for error and it's so disappointing to see how one quarter of football can COMPLETELY change the outlook of the program.

- That being said, don't be a bit surprised if we don't give MSU, Iowa or Michigan a good game. I'll venture a guess that we'll play (at least) one of them very close. We've got a solid offense, especially when Howard returns and like I said vs. SIU, we don't have THAT bad of a defense normally. One of those squads will overlook us and we'll give them a scare. Unfortunately, playing close with these teams isn't good enough like it was vs. Ohio State. We need wins now. Gotta have wins.

- This means that Maryland and Purdue become what might be "must-wins." And we can still win them both. Yes, we looked horrible with how we lost to Rutgers. But have you watched Maryland and Purdue this year? They are capable of playing every bit as bad as we have played (and they have.) So the season is not over, yet.

- Some personnel observations: Really liked seeing Majette as an H-back sort of guy. Brings much needed speed and burst to the backfield that we have lacked this year. But he's a change of pace guy, not a run-up-the-middle type... Sudfeld had a great first three quarters. Amazing that he fell apart in the 4th... Good to see the receivers make some plays. Nice to see Fuchs catch a couple of TDs... Happy that Redding broke a long one. People have gone from saying "he's great" to "he stinks" but he's somewhere in the middle now and really needs a confidence boost (as do the rest of the team.)... The punt team has not been special all year and played a role in losing the game.

- One more note... there are some people who get so upset when people won't support IU Football after going 4-0 like we did or when we were 4-2. Games like Rutgers are why. These sort of things have plagued this program for a while. People don't want to invest their time in something when they know there is a good chance they'll get let down. They use the past as a predictor of the future. Is it always fair? No. But can you really blame them? They certainly look justified at this point in time. I'm a fan and I'll always be a fan of this football team. But with the gut-wrenching feeling I had leaving Memorial Stadium Saturday night, I can understand why others don't want to subject themselves to it.

A few thoughts... two days after the fact:

- I mentioned this right after Game #1 this year... there will be a few games when we look pretty good and there will be a few games where we look horrible. We just needed to play well in the "toss up" games because that would determine whether we were going bowling or not. We played well enough versus Western Kentucky and Wake Forest. And we absolutely killed ourselves in the 4th quarter of a very important game vs. a not-so-good Rutgers. IU football has little margin for error and it's so disappointing to see how one quarter of football can COMPLETELY change the outlook of the program.

- That being said, don't be a bit surprised if we don't give MSU, Iowa or Michigan a good game. I'll venture a guess that we'll play (at least) one of them very close. We've got a solid offense, especially when Howard returns and like I said vs. SIU, we don't have THAT bad of a defense normally. One of those squads will overlook us and we'll give them a scare. Unfortunately, playing close with these teams isn't good enough like it was vs. Ohio State. We need wins now. Gotta have wins.

- This means that Maryland and Purdue become what might be "must-wins." And we can still win them both. Yes, we looked horrible with how we lost to Rutgers. But have you watched Maryland and Purdue this year? They are capable of playing every bit as bad as we have played (and they have.) So the season is not over, yet.

- Some personnel observations: Really liked seeing Majette as an H-back sort of guy. Brings much needed speed and burst to the backfield that we have lacked this year. But he's a change of pace guy, not a run-up-the-middle type... Sudfeld had a great first three quarters. Amazing that he fell apart in the 4th... Good to see the receivers make some plays. Nice to see Fuchs catch a couple of TDs... Happy that Redding broke a long one. People have gone from saying "he's great" to "he stinks" but he's somewhere in the middle now and really needs a confidence boost (as do the rest of the team.)... The punt team has not been special all year and played a role in losing the game.

- One more note... there are some people who get so upset when people won't support IU Football after going 4-0 like we did or when we were 4-2. Games like Rutgers are why. These sort of things have plagued this program for a while. People don't want to invest their time in something when they know there is a good chance they'll get let down. They use the past as a predictor of the future. Is it always fair? No. But can you really blame them? They certainly look justified at this point in time. I'm a fan and I'll always be a fan of this football team. But with the gut-wrenching feeling I had leaving Memorial Stadium Saturday night, I can understand why others don't want to subject themselves to it.

To your last point. It gets to next levels of annoyance when certain posters never post when things are going well. It seems like they are just sitting waiting for something to go wrong so they can gripe about it. I'd don't care if your critical, but when your entire shtick is throwing out cynical one liners, that isn't really being critical. Also, it is funny when people come out with the "well I'm done with this team", then they find themselves commenting on the game the next week

To your last point. It gets to next levels of annoyance when certain posters never post when things are going well. It seems like they are just sitting waiting for something to go wrong so they can gripe about it. I'd don't care if your critical, but when your entire shtick is throwing out cynical one liners, that isn't really being critical. Also, it is funny when people come out with the "well I'm done with this team", then they find themselves commenting on the game the next week

Exactly. Critical thinking requires recognizing both the positive and the negatives. To be completely positive, or completely negative is always going to be annoying. We had 30 minutes of decent football Saturday, followed by about 10 minutes of great football, followed by 20 minutes of absolute crap. That meant for about 40 minutes there was something positive going on. Too bad some people never have anything to say until the SHTF moments.