Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Bowl Projections after week 6

If it's money for the athletic program, you take it with a smile.

I feel the same way about it. I won't feel super proud for being in a bowl at 5-7 and will be prepared to get made fun of at work. But, I certainly won't shun the benefits of going bowling.

It adds an interesting dynamic to the Coach Wilson question too that this isn't the thread for.

The monetary impact of playing in a bowl would be negligible. Under the B1G revenue sharing model we basically get the same $ whether we sit at home or play in the Rose Bowl. B1G also gives teams a predetermined amount if they are a bowl participant to cover travel expenses.

The three weeks of extra practice is another story.

How much of a profit would we make? Smaller schools lose money on these games, and I can't imagine we'd take much of a crowd at 5-7. 

I was under the same impression that many of the bowls actually end up costing the participating schools money.  I suppose there is some potential favorable impact on recruiting although I can't believe it's overly significant but the additional weeks of practice do have value as johnsoniu mentioned above.