Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

Analysis: Was that the same defense we saw against Southern Illinois?

First half we stacked the box and dared Ohio St. to throw, and Jones looked weak. Everything was working. I had to work for the 2nd half, so I'm not sure if we backed off or of Elliot just found some holes. Still very impressed with this team, and who knows what would have happened if Sud/Howard didn't get injured.

First half we stacked the box and dared Ohio St. to throw, and Jones looked weak. Everything was working. I had to work for the 2nd half, so I'm not sure if we backed off or of Elliot just found some holes. Still very impressed with this team, and who knows what would have happened if Sud/Howard didn't get injured.

The issue with the Elliott runs is that the safeties were so close to the line that once Elliott got through the first hole, it was clear sailing. 2 of the 3 runs if I remember right were short yardage situations (3rd & 1, 4th & 1) where everyone was within 5 yards from the snap.

Absolutely, if this program has turned a corner we will be 6-1.  Have to make a real statement next week.

Love the enthusiasm, but I hate counting a win we haven't played yet, just as much as I hate counting the losses we have played yet. Nor do I think "turning the corner" hinges on any one game.

Love the enthusiasm, but I hate counting a win we haven't played yet, just as much as I hate counting the losses we have played yet. Nor do I think "turning the corner" hinges on any one game.

Agreed for the most part.  There is one game that you can pinpoint as the turning point, but it's a body of work thereafter that confirms that point.

The issue with the Elliott runs is that the safeties were so close to the line that once Elliott got through the first hole, it was clear sailing. 2 of the 3 runs if I remember right were short yardage situations (3rd & 1, 4th & 1) where everyone was within 5 yards from the snap.

I agree it had a lot to do with loading the box.  I also believe that there was a bit of fatigue and mental lapses.  I remember specifically on one of the long runs a LB overpursued and missed a chance for a tackle or at least slowing EE down. 

Agreed it needs to hinge on more than 1 game and I am not counting a win.  My point is simply that playing well against OSU at home is all well and good but it is about what comes next.  You have two games ahead that I think the team should win and should go into with the mentality that its a win.  It is easy to bring the intensity one week against the #1 team in the country at home.  Bring that same intensity every week for the rest of the season and the program has turned a corner.  

If we are 6-1 heading to East Lansing I think the program has positioned itself from the bottom tier to the middle tier at least for this year.  

Good analysis Terry!

I feel as others have stated, we attempted to jam OSU by loading the box and three runs got away from us. I was  concerned before the season began about our depth, and you said IU is definitely deeper this year than in the past. I do believe you had a little insight into this. But, we do need to stay healthy to keep the best team out there.