Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierTrav

Yogi CAN dunk!!

other than my answers above, something I really hope happens with ALL of our players; can they become good PEOPLE while they're here?

Yogi can dunk. Great....hope he gets the opportunity. Especially at home. It'd bring the house down.

Can he guard on the perimeter? {if he doesn't have to guard the 5, YES}  He's had an awfully hard time guarding anyone on the perimeter.  

Can he get shooters the ball when and where they need it?{proven}   In transition, yes.  In the half court?  Not proven consistently at all.

Can he make great decisions late in close games?{needs work, let's moment control him}  Agree.   I think he needs to be better here.

Can he lead?{last year on court, not off}  Not sure I agree.  I don't think he's been much of a leader.  I think he has the personality, but I think he's - for whatever reason - hesitant and sometimes a little selfish as a player.

Can he make his team and his team mates better?{proven}  No.  Not proven at all.  His teams (since Zeller and Oladipo left) have finished 8th and 7th place in the Big Ten, have zero post season wins, and the teams have under-achieved.  Disagree.  Which is why I made this point, and others.

Can he play games without thinking he has to take over and apply great shot selection?{proven, when we were good he flew with the game}  And when we're bad, many times it's because he takes bad, quick shots, or tries to force things that aren't there.  Yogi needs to let things come to him, and stop trying to be a forced catalyst.    

Can he be the coach on the floor?{watch games last year, told everyone what to do. Proven}  Very different than what I mean.  He told everyone where Crean wanted them to be.  He did not make adjustments or changes within the flow of offenses which set his team up for success.  He does run Crean's offense, and maybe he doesn't have the freedom to create like he needs to; but judging by how he performs in transition, I'd guess he has all the freedom he needs.

Can he be a great senior?{up to him.}  Yes.  But I think he's a lot more unproven than you do.

This is supposed to be a fun thread, so   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExg4ta2gbY

People can hate on Yogi all they want. But his sophomore and junior years he has had next to no help. He has had to put the entire team on his back. People complain that he tries too hard and tries to do too much, but if he hadn't, we would've been even worse. Its close to impossible to be the teams best defender, main ball handler, and leading scorer all at the same time. When someone questions his defense all you have to do is look back at how he single handedly shut down Nik Stauskas Yogi's sophomore year. IS Yogi a perfect player, not at all but I still don't think he gets the credit he deserves. Just because the teams he has been apart of the last few years haven't had much success doesn't mean it falls on him. Its hard to play 5 against 1 and thats what Yogi has had to do most of the time the past two years. If we want to start judging players based on their team's performance and whatnot there are a lot of great all time players that never won championships or played on fantastic teams.

I sometimes wonder how different Yogi's career would have been if Zeller had stayed another year. Yogi has made it pretty clear that Zeller's commitment pretty much is what made him commitment to IU. I bet he was thinking they'd be teammates for more than one year. Would have been a great duo if they had a couple years together.

[font='Droid Serif']Yogi can dunk. Great....hope he gets the opportunity. Especially at home. It'd bring the house down.[/font]

[font='Droid Serif']Can he guard on the perimeter? {if he doesn't have to guard the 5, YES} [/font]He's had an awfully hard time guarding anyone on the perimeter.

[font='Droid Serif']Can he get shooters the ball when and where they need it?{proven} [/font]In transition, yes. In the half court? Not proven consistently at all.

[font='Droid Serif']Can he make great decisions late in close games?{needs work, let's moment control him} [/font]Agree. I think he needs to be better here.

[font='Droid Serif']Can he lead?{last year on court, not off} [/font]Not sure I agree. I don't think he's been much of a leader. I think he has the personality, but I think he's - for whatever reason - hesitant and sometimes a little selfish as a player.

[font='Droid Serif']Can he make his team and his team mates better?{proven} [/font]No. Not proven at all. His teams (since Zeller and Oladipo left) have finished 8th and 7th place in the Big Ten, have zero post season wins, and the teams have under-achieved. Disagree. Which is why I made this point, and others.

[font='Droid Serif']Can he play games without thinking he has to take over and apply great shot selection?{proven, when we were good he flew with the game} [/font]And when we're bad, many times it's because he takes bad, quick shots, or tries to force things that aren't there. Yogi needs to let things come to him, and stop trying to be a forced catalyst.

[font='Droid Serif']Can he be the coach on the floor?{watch games last year, told everyone what to do. Proven} [/font]Very different than what I mean. He told everyone where Crean wanted them to be. He did not make adjustments or changes within the flow of offenses which set his team up for success. He does run Crean's offense, and maybe he doesn't have the freedom to create like he needs to; but judging by how he performs in transition, I'd guess he has all the freedom he needs.

[font='Droid Serif']Can he be a great senior?{up to him.} [/font]Yes. But I think he's a lot more unproven than you do.

This is supposed to be a fun thread, so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExg4ta2gbY

Yogi sucks. Let's call him Jeremiah Rivers.

Social media is giving a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes with our favorite team. From my point of view it looked like a nice team building moment for the players. Would people feel better if they stopped posting these moments for the outside world to see. As a fan I like watching these videos of the offseason workouts. Someone makes a thread about yogi dunking a basketball that somehow turns into yogi sucks at defense. I will worry about his defense and leadership skills in a month

" 'Social' media" has made people able to express their bitterness and be mouthy about everything.

Yogi sucks. Let's call him Jeremiah Rivers.

Yes.  Let's do that.  Let's blow something out of proportion because you don't like it.  (accuracy and reality don't matter)  Always productive.  Or, let's inflate him to something he isn't because we like him.   You choose.

Yes. Let's do that. Let's blow something out of proportion because you don't like it. (accuracy and reality don't matter) Always productive. Or, let's inflate him to something he isn't because we like him. You choose.

This is what you just did. It was a fun thread showing us something we haven't seen and you blew it out of proportion because you THINK your right. Knock off the accuracy and reality you posted an opinion.

People can hate on Yogi all they want. But his sophomore and junior years he has had next to no help. He has had to put the entire team on his back. People complain that he tries too hard and tries to do too much, but if he hadn't, we would've been even worse. Its close to impossible to be the teams best defender, main ball handler, and leading scorer all at the same time. When someone questions his defense all you have to do is look back at how he single handedly shut down Nik Stauskas Yogi's sophomore year. IS Yogi a perfect player, not at all but I still don't think he gets the credit he deserves. Just because the teams he has been apart of the last few years haven't had much success doesn't mean it falls on him. Its hard to play 5 against 1 and thats what Yogi has had to do most of the time the past two years. If we want to start judging players based on their team's performance and whatnot there are a lot of great all time players that never won championships or played on fantastic teams.

Disagree.  He had Sheehey and Vonleh one year (an NBA lottery pick and a kid who played a significant role 4 years in the same system), and he had another McDonald's all american (Blackmon) the next year, along with a vastly improved Troy Williams (who may well be another lottery pick) the next.  Yogi's had more "help" than most guards in the country.

Yogi is a very solid college guard.  He's OUR solid college guard, but that doesn't make him a better player than he is.  Yogi has displayed awful shot selection several times, poor decision making others.  He's also a streaky shooter who's won some games for us, and a very creative and efficient passer in transition.   He's still a 43% career shooter who took 2x as many shots as the rest of his team 2 years ago.  You say he had no help.  I say he didn't use his help, didn't make anyone better, and his team ended up missing the post-season.  He's a scorer first, with a very vanilla A/TO ratio.   He's just fine.  I like him.  He needs a lot of help to be at his best.  This year...he has more.  Hopefully, that'll make him better.

This is what you just did. It was a fun thread showing us something we haven't seen and you blew it out of proportion because you THINK your right. Knock off the accuracy and reality you posted an opinion.

Deep breath.  I am not trying to be right.   I simply asked a series of questions.  I personally don't care one bit if he can dunk.  I couldn't care less about hype or highlights.  I missed the "fun thread" angle...just thought someone was making a point that "Yogi can dunk."  Okay...good.  Can he do other things that will actually help the team win?   The stats I've given are accurate.  They're not opinion.   Neither is his difficulty guarding the perimeter.  Where I gave opinion, I added I disagree."   Good grief....

I dunno...I kinda like this thread:

It's a slow time of year, and everyone is making effective points. This thread started out light-hearted, and it is reasonable to think that it might have stayed that way.

HOWEVER...Yogi is a lightning rod for discussion; and that's not a bad thing. There's a reason that we are having a big ol' Yogi-debate fest and not a Robert Johnson fest. It's because there's something about Yogi; there's a fierce look in his eyes, the perceived leadership mantle that's entering its third year, and sooo much talent. But, for many complex reasons, he hasn't found glory with team accomplishments. He has the potential and ablity to take a team there, and only one more year to do it.

Any fun thread about him is destined to be a lightning rod for discussion about whether his potential will be realized. That's why we visit boards like this. I think that Old Friend will be sky-high happy if he gets to type about how Yogi has finally realized that potential.