Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Petition for permanent IU script football helmets

OK now you are really reaching lol.

Seriously, that's your argument?

Again, Block I = tradition

IU Trident = tradition

Indiana script = something else not even close to that level

The more I think about it, I don't even like the script Indiana, especially when it is placed next to real IU traditions. Script Indiana seems contrived in comparison, an afterthought in a focus group on uniform options.

Its been on the back of the basketball warmups for decades. They've sold shirts with the font for just as long. Its been used in other sports as well (baseball, for one). Its on the NEZ window. It may be on our new turf next year. It's a classy, traditional look.

I like the block I, and we wore it not 2 weeks ago, but it's not going to be our base look as it is not distinctive to IU.

I am mildly interested in hearing your argument that the script Indiana is traditional. Can you elaborate?

When I think IU tradition, I think Block I or IU Trident, not Indiana script.

Dude what are you talking about? You're going to make me use definitions, aren't you?

tra·di·tion·al
trəˈdiSH(ə)n(ə)l/

-existing in or as part of a tradition; long-established.
-habitually done, used, or found.

Are you meaning to tell me that the script Indiana found on the helmets on Saturday are neither habitually found on IU athletics gear nor long-established in IU athletics?

I would say it is not traditional on uniforms, but the script Indiana has been around as long as I can remember. Have purchased a lot of clothing over the years, with Script Indiana on the front.

Yeah but how far can you remember? I did some quick research and the mark generally seemed pretty new.

Cursive script is what you might select as your font for some small time promotional tool like a matchbook cover with your business' name on it when you are working with an extremely limited budget.  And you would only select the cursive script if you had very limited options and your other limited choices were even worse lol. 

You are completely changing the argument by using a different font and including clothing other than official game day uniforms.

We are talking about official game day uniforms and IU tradition.

Well, it's all subjective, but I'm not really sure why you are making such a huge deal out of this. It's been associated with IU for decades. It has nothing to do with Mike Davis. And talk to Ohio State fans. They seem to have a thing for cursive.

Just keeping the discussion going, same as you are.

Nothing more.

Somebody petitioned the A.D. to eliminate all other uniforms in favor of the cursive script.

I am stating my opinion against that.  I feel strongly about that.

I like the Block IU Trident, the Block I, and a lot of the newer helmets.

I don't think the cursive script does Indiana University justice.

I think it is lazy, and even boring.  I have a right to that opinion.

I'm getting lost in the discussion.  Is the argument that the script-Indiana is not viewed as a 'tradition' relative to IUFB or that it's just not a traditional element at all?

Historically, the Block I and the Pitchfork IU have been used the most frequently in terms of years of use.  However, the only true tradition I can relate to IUFB is losing.  There's no fancy candy-stripes that are some how tied to winning....because there just hasn't been any consistent winning.

Sure, we wore the Block I to our Rose Bowl defeat in 1968 but should that dictate the tradition?  That was nearly 50 years ago.

Personally, I think CKW is starting the tradition afresh with some of the helmet changes.  I'm OK w/using an assortment of helmets but I would love to have a 'go-to'.  If pressed for a "go to" I would probably say the IU pitchfork would be it.  That's what I've always related to IU regardless of sport.  That's the logo, to me, that's synonymous w/Indiana.  The others would be secondary and brought out on special occasions, night games, special games, senior night, etc.  

HelmetHistory2011-500x647.jpg