Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierReb01

IU vs FIU Post Game Thread

Wonder if the ref that said "f u" on live microphone got reprimanded for it.

That was pretty crazy. I bet a good portion of the booing was actually due to sudfeld not hiking the ball when they jumped.

That's something I've noticed too. If the C sees someone jump. Hike the damn ball. Get the easy 5 yards and see what comes of the free play.

Wonder if the ref that said "f u" on live microphone got reprimanded for it.

That was pretty crazy. I bet a good portion of the booing was actually due to sudfeld not hiking the ball when they jumped.

I was wondering if you could hear it on tv. I was at the game so I don't know but you usually hear the ref talking on tv too.

The box xcore had 0 for penalties.  As we wer leaving the stadium, we tried to add up the penalties yards.  I believe we had 4 personal fouls (60 yards), 2 pass interferences (30 yards), at least 4 offsides (20 yards).  That was 110 yards and I know I am missing something.  That has to get better. The personal fouls are especially unacceptable.With a reasonable amount of penalties, we would not have needed a 96 yard pick 6 to end the game with a comfortable margin.

I really like Howard, Jones, and our OL.  Sudfeld can look indecisive at times and late on some throws.  He won't get away with that in conference play.  Overall he is doing what he needs to do.  I hope we can avoid injuries and start strong in conference.

Well, you are not wrong on that. The one PI called on Fant, I'll take every day of the week, 15 yards was better than what FIU would have gained. Until they make that a spot foul in college football, its a tool you use. The other PI IIRC was pretty nickel and dime. The personal fouls are the ones that really hurt as there is no advantage attached to them, and they are too often after the play anyway. That's guys just needing to keep their emotions in check a little more. 

I actually think their may have been more than 4 offsides. A couple were by Latham, I think, trying to get that jump. Several offsides were just players lined up in the neutral zone, and I think that could have got called a couple of other times. Yes, they need to clean it up. I'm betting the coaching staff is right on top of that.

Guys are giving the defense waaaaaayyyyy to much credit. We were tied with Florida Intl. in the fourth quarter. And they were ready to score to tie when their QB throws one in our lap. This defense still stinks.

This is some of the worst analysis I've ever seen. They played well for the most part. Still too many big plays.

Scales may be our best defensive player, but I could make a good argument that Dutra is our most important seeing how weak and inexperienced our secondary is.

indiana just posted the depth chart for Western Kentucky and Scales is listed as No. 2 behind Marcus Oliver and Chase Dutra is back on the depth chart at No. 1 at free safety. Now we'll see what all of that means. My guess is we see both a lot on Saturday.

I don't think we are giving the defense to much credit.  The defense gave us everything we asked of them. Were they perfect.  Heck no, but all we have asked of the defense is to not be awful.  Most of us think that our offense is good enough to win most games, as long as the defense shows up.  That is exactly what happened last Saturday.

They were far from awful this past weekend. 

You talk about the one the QB threw into our lap.  Why did that happen?  Because the defense was in his face, and forced him to do something bad.  That was caused by the defense, not just a bad play by their QB.

I go back to this way of thinking a lot but when someone says how good was the IU defense last week, I always think 'compared to what?' If you're trying to compare this defense to top level college football defenses they likely don't stack up. If you're comparing this defense to IU defenses of the past though, I think it's better. And the point I continue to make is that if this defense can give up 30 points or less to most opponents (and Florida International is not that bad of a team by the way) this team will win enough games to go to a bowl with the potent offense that Indiana has.

indiana just posted the depth chart for Western Kentucky and Scales is listed as No. 2 behind Marcus Oliver and Chase Dutra is back on the depth chart at No. 1 at free safety. Now we'll see what all of that means. My guess is we see both a lot on Saturday.

Dutra was listed as a starter last week too. Based on what I know about the situation, he will not be back this week. Still in a heavy brace.

Oliver has been very good these first 2 games. I'd imagine the coaching staff wants Scales to earn that spot back. 

Jonathan Crawford still starting.

Coaching staff must like him a lot, if he could tackle better he would be one heck of a player already imo.

It's funny, I would think that would be the one thing he should be able to do consistently. Things like play recognition, reacting quickly, etc. should be things you learn over time. I would think tackling is something a safety should be pretty darn good at. Then again, I never played football, so what do I know.

I go back to this way of thinking a lot but when someone says how good was the IU defense last week, I always think 'compared to what?' If you're trying to compare this defense to top level college football defenses they likely don't stack up. If you're comparing this defense to IU defenses of the past though, I think it's better. And the point I continue to make is that if this defense can give up 30 points or less to most opponents (and Florida International is not that bad of a team by the way) this team will win enough games to go to a bowl with the potent offense that Indiana has.

I would agree, 30 points seems like a good standard for this team. Hold a team under 30 and we should be in a position to win every game. That seems like a reasonable request. Saturday will be a big test against WKU.

Yeah, I think Indiana wins this week but I'm not sure about the holding them under 30 things. When you throw the ball around the yard 60 times or more there are big plays waiting to happen ... and this defense struggles giving up big plays some times.