Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

End of Game Strategy

First of all the ball went to the 1 not the 5 right?

Second you would have to take a knee because SIU was letting you score there.

Third what message are you sending to your team if you do all that?

I'm not saying I was confident the defense would hold them but here's the other thing.....

Did you see Oakes' 22 yard field goal attempt to make it 41-38? It was low and ugly,

What if you do as you suggest and take the clock down and they block the field goal or there's a poor exchange? You do have a first year long snapper .

That is what gets coaches fired.

I think the only time you don't do what 41 suggests is if you don't have confidence in the kicking game.

I can see it both ways in this scenario but...

Why not kneel on first down to force SIU to call TO and give them one less opportunity on their last drive.  On second down run it up the gut.  If we score good if not they use another TO.  Now, we either score and they're down to 1 TO or we're sitting 3rd and goal at the 2.  They have 0 TOs and less time if we do score on 3rd down.  If we don't score run the clock down and kick the field goal.

Griffin Oakes is 29/29 on PATs in his career. 100% success rate.

Our defense made stops on 5 of 13 drives.... That's a 38% success rate....

The correct play shouldn't be so difficult for you all to see!!!!

Honestly somewhat surprised we stopped them on 5/13 drives... Seemed like it'd be worse.

If we ran a play we were going to score, SIU is not stupid, they wanted as much time as possible to score, they were going to put up no resistance, that is why we needed to take a knee

If we ran a play we were going to score, SIU is not stupid, they wanted as much time as possible to score, they were going to put up no resistance, that is why we needed to take a knee

If you make them waste the timeouts they aren't going to let you score..

At that point they would of had what, 20 seconds or something and no timeouts? They would rather try to force us to kick a FG and maybe block it than let us score I would think.

You have to at least squeeze two plays out of that situation to make them use time outs so they can't stop the clock when they get the ball

https://btownbanners.com/topic/8240-sunday-morning-quarterback-what-did-you-think-of-ius-clock-management-in-the-final-minute/page-2#entry191605