Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierReb01

IU-SIU Post game thread

If it makes u all feel better, UK barely squeaked out a win over a team about like SIU. Their defense was atrocious in the 2nd half. And Purdue most likely loses to Marshall tomorrow, so it's all good boys.

No way, BIG difference between ULL and SIU. ULL's head coach Mark Hudspeth has a career .692 winning percentage in five years with the school, one conference title, is 4-0 in bowl games, and has turned down multiple power 5 conference jobs. The guy is going to be the next LSU head coach. SIU is an FCS team.

Idk if this has been covered or not... But do we know why those players were suspended?

When asked the question after the game, CKW didn't really specify, but as it has been pointed out, Green and Griffith are undoubtedly because of their off-season arrests. CKW meandered around such topics as drinking, cutting classes, missing workouts, etc. So you can probably fit the rest of them somewhere in that. 

No way, BIG difference between ULL and SIU. ULL's head coach Mark Hudspeth has a career .692 winning percentage in five years with the school, one conference title, is 4-0 in bowl games, and has turned down multiple power 5 conference jobs. The guy is going to be the next LSU head coach. SIU is an FCS team.

They are down this year though.

Wish I could have watched it, but man it seems that we played absolutely terrible! Can't wait to watch highlights from the offense though!

Were they offensive highlights or defensive lowlights? I think the majority of the game was just horrible defense on both sides. I love what our offense did, but these were too BAD defenses.

I don't think our D is as bad as they showed today.
I don't think our offense is as good as they showed today.

Never get too high or too low on any aspect of Indiana Football.

When asked the question after the game, CKW didn't really specify, but as it has been pointed out, Green and Griffith are undoubtedly because of their off-season arrests. CKW meandered around such topics as drinking, cutting classes, missing workouts, etc. So you can probably fit the rest of them somewhere in that. 

So sick of hearing about these kinds of issues with IU athletes, although, in fairness, really only the basketball and football players.

Do these guys need babysitters? Do they need to put leg monitors on them (illegal, of course, and suggested only facetiously)?

More realistically, how about designating some guys to be monitors? A scholarship for completing a season without issues? An "honor society" designation for those who come through the year clean?

An app?

Something? Anything?

I'm searching desperately for something that would work, be legal and keep these guys in line.

WestCoast Hoosier

So sick of hearing about these kinds of issues with IU athletes, although, in fairness, really only the basketball and football players.

Do these guys need babysitters? Do they need to put leg monitors on them (illegal, of course, and suggested only facetiously)?

More realistically, how about designating some guys to be monitors? A scholarship for completing a season without issues? An "honor society" designation for those who come through the year clean?

An app?

Something? Anything?

I'm searching desperately for something that would work, be legal and keep these guys in line.

WestCoast Hoosier

Well, in fairness, we don't tend to hear much from the other sports, but I suspect that it has to be pretty horrendous for anybody to take notice of a Womens Field Hockey player getting suspended for the same things. I also doubt that its really any worse than it ever was, just more public. 

No, they don't need babysitters. They are legally adults, and they need to learn to make good decisions, and take responsibility for the consequences. This is part of the process. There is a lot of scrutiny at the moment (and that's easy to understand) but to some extant that's making it look worse than it is. And I'm not suggesting that its not bad, just that added scrutiny brings to light more details making it look worse. 

I don't know why these 9 were suspended, there are no details on that. Green and Griffith's suspensions are more than likely due to their off season arrests, but I have no details on the others. They could be suspensions for transgressions such as cutting classes, missing workouts, etc. Or they could be for much more serious violations. We'll probably never know, but I wouldn't let my mind run too wild with the idea that these were all legal issues. 

In the end, you make rules, establish penalties, and discipline as needed under those rules. The players ultimately make their own decisions. Its not much different than as your own kids become teenagers, at some point, no matter how you raised them, they are going to make their own decisions, and their not always going to be in line with how Mom and Dad raised them.

Has the football team really been that bad? You had the Allen incident but outside of that I don't think our team has been any worse than most.

Green was arrested involving a drinking incident which involved a assault, not sure what he was ultimately charged with. Griffith had a DUI I believe. Allen, half the felonies in the book. 

Several people have alluded to the impact social media has in today's world vs. my college years of "x" years ago.  And while that's certainly a fact, you'd think by now these bozos would know that their every action is liable to end up on one form of social media or another.  As a college athlete and certainly as a pro athlete you have a target on your back and someone is just waiting to catch you in the act of doing something stupid and be the first to blurt it to the world.  Years ago, most of the transgressions we're learning of today would never have become known outside of the IU campus but that's definitely not the world we live in today.  But what does it take for these schmucks to get that through their heads? 

Several people have alluded to the impact social media has in today's world vs. my college years of "x" years ago. And while that's certainly a fact, you'd think by now these bozos would know that their every action is liable to end up on one form of social media or another. As a college athlete and certainly as a pro athlete you have a target on your back and someone is just waiting to catch you in the act of doing something stupid and be the first to blurt it to the world. Years ago, most of the transgressions we're learning of today would never have become known outside of the IU campus but that's definitely not the world we live in today. But what does it take for these schmucks to get that through their heads?

Unfortunately when you're placed on a pedestal there's an air of entitlement and invincibility that comes into play. Social media is fuel for that fire.

Unfortunately when you're placed on a pedestal there's an air of entitlement and invincibility that comes into play. Social media is fuel for that fire.

They aren't placed on that pedestal by the students. That's for sure lol. (For the football team, anyways)