Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

Bowling or no? Where do we finish?

Tough question to answer now. WKU is a very solid team they have a stud QB and an up and coming coach. Very explosive offense, it will be a good test for our team.

The next two weeks will tell us how good this team is. Have to be able to beat WKU and Wake to believe we have any chance against UMD, PSU or Rutgers.

The state of the division is very encouraging. PSU's offense is terrible, and UMD is in a rebuilding year and has miserable QB play. We should be able to easily out score these teams. Rutgers is a winnable game. MSU and OSU are losses. Michigan may be beatable, but I don't like the matchup of our defense against their power offense. Same goes with Iowa.

If we start 4-0, and assuming we keep the Bucket, we just have to win one game of UMD, PSU, or Rutgers. Win all three and that's eight wins, which is best case scenario in my opinion.

Tough question to answer now. WKU is a very solid team they have a stud QB and an up and coming coach. Very explosive offense, it will be a good test for our team.

The next two weeks will tell us how good this team is. Have to be able to beat WKU and Wake to believe we have any chance against UMD, PSU or Rutgers.

The state of the division is very encouraging. PSU's offense is terrible, and UMD is in a rebuilding year and has miserable QB play. We should be able to easily out score these teams. Rutgers is a winnable game. MSU and OSU are losses. Michigan may be beatable, but I don't like the matchup of our defense against their power offense. Same goes with Iowa.

If we start 4-0, and assuming we keep the Bucket, we just have to win one game of UMD, PSU, or Rutgers. Win all three and that's eight wins, which is best case scenario in my opinion.

"Very explosive offense" and our defense sounds scary. I think after WKU you can start to make assumptions about where we are headed.

All of you who were planning on a December bowl trip might want to reconsider. Just a thought.

Why do people do this after one game? Why? Aren't we all adults here? Can we use our brains? Is it too much to ask not to freak out because we ALMOST lost game #1?

We've already shown some pretty good improvement...I guess anyone not planning a trip to Pasadena might want to reconsider!

Why do people do this after one game? Why? Aren't we all adults here? Can we use our brains? Is it too much to ask not to freak out because we ALMOST lost game #1?

We've already shown some pretty good improvement...I guess anyone not planning a trip to Pasadena might want to reconsider!

You ask this question on a fan board?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
We gripe about the highs and lows of every play.  One play we are world champions, the next, we will lose every game by 40 points. 

It doesn't matter what sport.  That is why we all follow IU, so we can blame our high blood pressure, on something else besides being over weight, and not exercising. 

My point after game one was that it wasn't a large enough sample size. I still feel the same way after game two. Now, if IU is 3-0 this time next week I would think the chances are solid that this team is bowling by the end of the year.

It's funny though, the same question being asked here is being asked of Colts fans on talk radio. How big of a deal as that first loss to the Bills? Lots of people jumping off that bandwagon, too, but I bet the Colts will be just fine as well.

My point after game one was that it wasn't a large enough sample size. I still feel the same way after game two. Now, if IU is 3-0 this time next week I would think the chances are solid that this team is bowling by the end of the year.

It's funny though, the same question being asked here is being asked of Colts fans on talk radio. How big of a deal as that first loss to the Bills? Lots of people jumping off that bandwagon, too, but I bet the Colts will be just fine as well.

I'm not sure, Hutch.  The Colts look in trouble to me.  Too much talk, too much dysfunction.  I'm honestly more comfortable with IU than I am with the Colts relative to post-season success.  I need one more week to make any kind of convicted prediction about IU, but this is a game they can win; and if they do, I can easily see 6 or 7 wins this season.  There's not much margin for error, but their tendency (until last season when an injury did it) has been to win a few games, then lose one they could easily have won, and it sends the thing on a downward spiral.  If they can avoid that and get this win, I'll feel really good about saying "yes...we're going bowling this year."   The Colts, on the other hand, have a lot of work to do.  They just need to shut up and bring it.  

I'm not sure, Hutch. The Colts look in trouble to me. Too much talk, too much dysfunction. I'm honestly more comfortable with IU than I am with the Colts relative to post-season success. I need one more week to make any kind of convicted prediction about IU, but this is a game they can win; and if they do, I can easily see 6 or 7 wins this season. There's not much margin for error, but their tendency (until last season when an injury did it) has been to win a few games, then lose one they could easily have won, and it sends the thing on a downward spiral. If they can avoid that and get this win, I'll feel really good about saying "yes...we're going bowling this year." The Colts, on the other hand, have a lot of work to do. They just need to shut up and bring it.

The Colts are fine. It was one game against a stud defense. If you're more confident about IU making the playoffs than you are the Colts then with all due respect you have no clue what you're talking about.

The Colts are fine. It was one game against a stud defense. If you're more confident about IU making the playoffs than you are the Colts then with all due respect you have no clue what you're talking about.

Try reading what I said again.  I said nothing of the Colts "making the playoffs."   I said "post-season success."  You know....when they'll face those pesky "stud defenses?"

Stampede Blue was not a good place to be on Sunday. To be honest, I had to leave the game thread before I started "Chicken litteling" myself. That was a tough one to watch, but the season is far from over. We will still be in the playoffs, and I'd expect a beating of the Jets next Monday at the Luke.

I'll admit what you said about being more comfortable with IU than the Colts right now did cause me to step back for a moment but the reality is I think there's a lot to that. 

The big difference for me though is that IU's schedule once Big Ten play rolls around is extremely difficult. Not a good division and you just hope you're not completely banged up when you get around to playing the teams you should be competitive with.

With the Colts, some people think that with the exception of New England that Buffalo may have been one of their toughest games. I think the Colts' schedule alone will allow them to bounce back and have some success. Andre Johnson and company need to step up for sure and Luck needs to file last week's performance away as one that's not to be repeated. I thought he was awful. 

The only thing that saved me on Sunday was that my wife made this killer guacamole that we had while we watched the Colts game and it caused me to fall asleep for two quarters. That may be an 'old' thing, too. Not sure.

I'll admit what you said about being more comfortable with IU than the Colts right now did cause me to step back for a moment but the reality is I think there's a lot to that. 

The big difference for me though is that IU's schedule once Big Ten play rolls around is extremely difficult. Not a good division and you just hope you're not completely banged up when you get around to playing the teams you should be competitive with.

With the Colts, some people think that with the exception of New England that Buffalo may have been one of their toughest games. I think the Colts' schedule alone will allow them to bounce back and have some success. Andre Johnson and company need to step up for sure and Luck needs to file last week's performance away as one that's not to be repeated. I thought he was awful. 

The only thing that saved me on Sunday was that my wife made this killer guacamole that we had while we watched the Colts game and it caused me to fall asleep for two quarters. That may be an 'old' thing, too. Not sure.

Indiana wins on Saturday, they're in good shape.  With a healthy Sudfeld, they can get Rutgers, Penn State, Purdue, Wake Forest, and Maryland.  They have Iowa (who they play with competitively about half the time, and beat them once in a while) and Michigan at home.  They won't win all of those games...but they can get 3 of them.  Indiana has a really solid offense.  They've stalled a little, but that'll clean up.  They're gaining experience every week; and they just allowed 22 points and less than 50 yards rushing in the same game.  That defensive line is decent, too.   Others should step back and think, too.

The funny thing for me here is how that one performance against Southern Illinois has just put a complete Kabosh (sp?) on the optimism people had for this team early on. That image of SIU going for two and the win in the closing seconds is going to stick with people for a long time. And while I get that I also look at how different the D line looked last week with Latham and Green in there and how different I think the LB position, for example, will look when your most athletic linebacker is back out there in Tegray Scales. Add in Chase Dutra and things are coming back around. 

The truth is with Indiana this is a "Just Win Baby" scenario. Ultimately that's the only thing that is going to turn the tide. Winning six or more football games. And if that record gets to 3-0 heading to Wake Forest I just think the stars are beginning to align with the explosiveness of the offense and the potential of a defense post SIU.

I think what surprised us the most with the SIU game, was that we believed our second string should be stronger than SIU.  Nothing to back up that belief, other than the fact that our Coaching staff keeps saying this is the deepest team we have had.  If that is our depth, we are in big trouble if our first string goes down. 

The funny thing for me here is how that one performance against Southern Illinois has just put a complete Kabosh (sp?) on the optimism people had for this team early on. That image of SIU going for two and the win in the closing seconds is going to stick with people for a long time. And while I get that I also look at how different the D line looked last week with Latham and Green in there and how different I think the LB position, for example, will look when your most athletic linebacker is back out there in Tegray Scales. Add in Chase Dutra and things are coming back around. 

The truth is with Indiana this is a "Just Win Baby" scenario. Ultimately that's the only thing that is going to turn the tide. Winning six or more football games. And if that record gets to 3-0 heading to Wake Forest I just think the stars are beginning to align with the explosiveness of the offense and the potential of a defense post SIU.

The bigger picture though, says Indiana was without Scales, Dutra, Green, and Latham.  Those two guys up front would have made that game completely different.  Indiana just allowed 22 points to FIU.  They have allowed (if I heard this stat right) 22 points or less just 5 times since 2010.  Our defensive line is very good, as is our offensive line.   Among the top 5 in the Big Ten.   We lose some key players there, it changes things.   And it changed the game - especially against their running game - in the SIU game.  That just showed the lack of depth and slim margin for error.  When healthy, Indiana is a decent football team.  Like last year however, one key injury or playing without a key kid or two just kills them.