Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) PG Robert Phinisee to Cincinnati

Phinisee is gonna climb in the rankings. I can assure you that. The guy is so underrated. I love how he can finish with the left hand. That always comes in handy. When I play ball, I actually prefer to finish with my left even though I’m right handed. Makes a player unpredictable at the rim. And that only helps against the big guys underneath there

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The thing that stood out to me was that Phinisee was held scoreless the first 11:44 of the game. Then the last 4:16 of the first half, he scores 16 points. Talk about carrying a team on your back into halftime. That got McCutcheon going for the rest of the game. This guy is so underrated. So excited for him. I have a real vested interest in him too because he committed on my birthday back on August 19 haha. IU won’t need a PG in 2019 with Durham and Phinisee running the show

I've watched Phinisee since he was the starting PG for McCutcheon as a freshman.  My perception is that he works very hard in the early stages of his games to get his teammates actively involved and oftentimes, much of his scoring has been in the second half.  I've watched many of his games and I don't recall any game where he simply took control from the opening tipoff in terms of scoring.  The game summary states he was held scoreless for 11:44 but it would interesting to know how many shots he even attempted in that time.  

Game write-up:

LAFAYETTE - In just his second varsity high school basketball game, McCutcheon senior Koby McNeely scored a game-high 18 points Tuesday night to spark the Mavericks to a 67-46 victory against Benton Central.

McCutcheon (2-0) advances to Friday night's semifinals of the Franciscan Health Hoops Classic against either West Lafayette or Harrison. Benton Central will play the Red Devils or Raiders in Thursday's consolation round.

McNeely played intramural basketball as a sophomore and junior but tried out for the varsity this season at the urging of star player Robert Phinisee.

"Robert got me out during the summer and I just fell in love playing with him," McNeely said. "Who wouldn't want to play with Robert?"

He did not score on opening night against West Lafayette but when his first shot fell against the Bison, McNeely's confidence grew.

"The first game I got the jitters but once I knocked down that first shot I knew I was going to get it going," McNeely said. 

Phinisee didn't have one of his better shooting nights but he still managed to play a big role in the victory. The Indiana-bound guard handed out eight assists and recorded six steals while finishing with 17 points.

Isaac Angstadt also was in double figures for the Mavericks with 13 points.

"I thought Rowen Farrell, Koby McNeely and Isaac Angstadt did a nice job of stepping up, especially in the first quarter seeing some different defenses," McCutcheon coach Tyler Scherer said. "That's a hard thing to simulate. We moved the ball well and got some nice shots."

Zach Fry led Benton Central (1-2) with 13 points, sinking three of the Bison's eight 3-pointers. Drew Brock, like Fry, was 3 of 4 from behind the arc for nine points.

ADVERTISING

McCutcheon built a 38-22 halftime lead behind 10 points apiece from Angstadt and McNeely. With Benton Central concentrating its defensive effort on containing Phinisee, Angstadt took advantage by scoring the game's first six points.

"We had kind of stressed trying to establish an inside game with Isaac, having thought they would come out in man to man," Scherer said. "Obviously they came out in some different zone defenses but we were still able to make his presence felt. That just opens up our perimeter game even more."

Six turnovers limited Benton Central to just two shots from the field in the first quarter, putting it in a 21-4 hole it could not escape. A pair of 3-pointers by Drew Brock and one apiece from Zach Fry and Payton Hall, the Bison slashed a 19-point deficit to 12 before the Mavericks scored the final four points of the half on a pair of Angstadt free throws and McNeely's bucket just before the buzzer.

McCUTCHEON 67, BENTON CENTRAL 46

McCUTCHEON-R. Phinisee 7-16 3-3 17, McNeely 7-11 0-0 18, Farrell 3-6 2-2 9, Tyson 3-6 1-2 8, Angstedt 5-8 3-4 13, McGhee 0-4 0-0 0, Miller 1-1 0-0 2, J. Phinisee 0-4 0-0 0. Totals 26-57 9-11 67.

BENTON CENTRAL-Brackett 0-1 0-0 0, E. Hallenbeck 3-4 0-0 6, Fry 4-6 2-2 13, Knotts 3-5 2-3 8, Hall 2-7 2-2 7 Lambeck 0-2 0-0 0, Gray 1-1 0-0 3, Green 0-1 0-0 0, Brock 3-4 0-0 9, Creek 0-2 0-0 0. Totals 16-33 6-7 46.

End of 1st quarter-McCutcheon 21-4. Halftime-McCutcheon 38-22. End of 3rd quarter-McCutcheon 54-34. 3-point goals-McCutchoen 6-17 (McNeely 4-7, Farrell 1-1, Tyson 1-2, J. Phinisee 0-3, R. Phinisee 0-3, Angstadt 0-1), Benton Central 8-20 (Brock 3-4, Fry 3-4, Gray 1-1, Hall 1-6, E. Hallenbeck 0-1, Lambeck 0-1, Green 0-1, Creek 0-2). Fouls-McCutcheon 10, Benton Central 8. Rebounds-McCutcheon 29 (Angstadt 5, McGhee 5), Benton Central 21 (Hall 7). Turnovers-McCutcheon 7, Benton Central 21.

McCutcheon is 2-0; Benton Central is 1-2.