Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) PG Robert Phinisee to Cincinnati

I hope any of you who watched the stream haven't started heading for the cliff to jump off.  Without a doubt, tonight was the worst shooting night I've ever seen from Phinisee.  Despite not being able to hit any kind of jump shot, he still finished with 16 pts. and McC beat Laf. Jeff 65-55.  I had him with 6 reb., 4 assts., 3 stls., 1 TO.  

45 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

What’s awesome about him is he had that bad shooting night. He wasn’t pissed or pouting in the interview about that. It was more about finding other ways to impact the game. Very mature for his age. Excited to see what he brings to the team next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

And I'll bet he still hit his FT's too.

Overall a very impressive interview.  Very comfortable and well spoken.  I also like that he described himself as a pass first PG (one that can obviously score) - just what an elite scorer might want to team up with (hint, hint).

I haven't seen many interviews with the other two, but the things I have heard from Phinisee and Anderson lead me to believe the leadership and toughness will not be in issue going forward under Archie. It might take time to develop the new culture, but these two seem ready to impact that. 

I watched the Stream- Thanks General... he’s very smooth and looks to get others involved. Good defender. Outside shot was off, but just changed gears and effected the game in other areas. ‘Winner’ And yes he hit his FT’s... I actually enjoyed the commentator’s calling the game. Thought they did a good job.. I miss Indiana HS basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 hours ago, Ranger78 said:

I watched the Stream- Thanks General... he’s very smooth and looks to get others involved. Good defender. Outside shot was off, but just changed gears and effected the game in other areas. ‘Winner’ And yes he hit his FT’s... I actually enjoyed the commentator’s calling the game. Thought they did a good job.. I miss Indiana HS basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You touched on an excellent point with "looks to get others involved."  I've always felt that in the early stages of his games, he's much more interested in distributing the ball and making sure his teammates are actively involved in the game rather than getting his own points.  Don't have the data to back it up, but usually seems he gets the bulk of his points in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Brief recap of tonight's North Central game between McCutcheon and Marion.  Final box score info probably won't be available until tomorrow morning, but this is how the game played out.

Phinisee with 7 points and a pair of steals early, Mavs lead Giants 13-7 with 3:31 remaining in opening quarter.

End of 1:   McC 15     Marion 14.

Halftime:  30-19 McC lead.  Robert Phinisee leads all scorers with 13 for McCutcheon.  Jalen Blackmon has 8 for Marion.

End of 3:  McC 46     Marion 34

Final score McC wins 52-51.  

This is how the game ended:  Blackmon fouled with 1.2 seconds to play and makes the first of a bonus.  Misses 2nd on purpose.  McCutcheon called for rebounding foul with .3.  Howard hits 1st, misses 2nd for Marion.  Game over.

Solid defensive effort by McC playing on the road at Marion a team that has averaged 87.4 ppg in 9 games since Jan. 2, and has a season average of 78.9 ppg.  

3 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

What did Rob finish with? I was intending to go to this game but work kept me later than expected. 

@indiana_ice: @indianaelite 2018 & @indiana_ice 2018 PG Robert Phinisee (@robphinisee1) of McCutcheon HS with 20 points in win vs Marion HS! #IEFam #ICE @PrepHoopsIN @Phenom_Hoops @INPrep @LafayetteScout @JamieShaw5

On 1/29/2018 at 8:12 PM, Feathery said:

I was talking with a friend at work today. He was telling me that his dad went to watch Phinisee play and reported back that Phinisee is a fantastic player. We are going to love him as IU. The reason I bring this up is that his dad played basketball at Ohio St back in the day and keeps up with high school and big ten basketball still. So it’s not just a random guy watching and giving an impression. 

I've been saying this for 2 years.  This is the kid I wanted as much or more than Langford.  Nice to see someone "not random" agreeing,   Phinisee is terrific. He can score....he just doesn't all the time.  He gets everyone involved, he runs the offense, he guards, he makes smart plays, and he is sneaky explosive/athletic.    Yes..he is fantastic, and he'll be here 4 years.

MARION - What figured to be a high scoring North Central Conference shootout between Marion and McCutcheon Friday night, ended up far from it. It was more like a good old fashioned NCC grinder.

The Mavericks came to Marion averaging nearly 70 points per game for the season while the Giants had been lighting up the scoreboard at nearly 90 a game since the calendar changed to 2018.

McCutcheon controlled the tempo and the scoreboard for most of the first three quarters, as neither team shot the ball particularly well. But a dramatic fourth-quarter rally by the Giants fell just short as McCutcheon held on for a 52-51 win. The Mavericks (16-4, 8-0 NCC) assured themselves of at least a share of the conference championship.

"It's a big one and we don't want to have to share anything," McCutcheon coach Tyler Scherer said. "From the beginning of the season, you could have circled at Marion to be one of, if not the toughest conference game on our schedule. To come here and get a win, we're certainly thrilled."

But the Giants almost made a long drive back to Lafayette even longer for the Mavericks.

McCutcheon jumped out to a 10-2 lead as Indiana University-bound recruit Robert Phinisee scored seven points in the first three minutes of the game. Phinisee finished the first quarter with nine of his team-high 20 but a late run pulled the Giants within 15-14 at the break.

The Mavericks took control in the second quarter, holding the Giants without a point for more than 7:30 and extending the lead to 30-19 by halftime. Marion made just 2 of 15 shots from the floor in the period and finished the first half with 3 for 17 shooting from long range.

A Ben Miller rebound and basket with just over 2:30 to play in the third quarter extended McCutcheon's lead to 44-29, its largest of the game, and the Mavericks took a 46-34 advantage into the final eight minutes.

The Giants began to chip away as McCutcheon started to struggle putting the ball in the basket. Phinisee and Rowen Ferrell each scored a field goal, McCutcheon's only two in the fourth quarter, in the first 2:30. Ferrell's basket had McCutcheon leading 50-38.

Freshman Jalen Blackmon started a 10-0 run for the Giants with an old fashioned three-point play, and it was followed by a Dre Aguilar putback and a steal and two-handed dunk from Tyrese Cobb to cut the Giants' deficit to 50-45 in about 60 seconds.

Blackmon drained a long-range 3-pointer to draw Marion within, 50-48 with 3:25 to play. The Giants had two possessions to tie or take the lead but twice turned it over.

McCutcheon had its chances to salt the game away from the free throw line but after making 10 of 13 through three, converted just 2 of 9 from the line in the fourth.

"It was contagious, the first couple guys missed one in the fourth quarter and it spreads to every one," Scherer said. "That was concerning there late because we had chances to put the game away late and couldn't from the line."

McCutcheon normally shoots 78 percent from the line as a team.

The Giants had chances from the line as well, but Latrell Simpson made just 1 of 2 with :51.1 to play to make the score 51-49.

Isaac Angstadt hit 1 of 2 with 31 seconds left to put McCutcheon in front 52-49, and Simpson missed a three from the corner with just over 10 seconds to go that would have tied for Marion.

The Mavericks turned it over with 3.1 seconds to play setting up one final chance. Blackmon took the inbounds pass near midcourt and started to dribble around Phinisee, who fouled him to prevent a 3-point attempt. On Blackmon's continuation he made the shot from midcourt but it was rightly waved off.

He calmly drained the first free throw then intentionally missed the second, but McCutcheon was called for a foul on the loose ball sending junior Qu'Ran Howard to the stripe for Marion with .3 seconds to play. Howard hit the first but missed the second securing the win for the Mavericks.

"( McCutcheon) is a good team but I thought we put ourselves in a position to win," said Marion coach James Blackmon. "A lot of shots didn't go down. We had an opportunity and that's all I can ask for."

Both teams made 19 of 55 from the floor. Marion hit 7 of 30 from three-point range while McCutcheon made 5 of 16. The Mavericks were 9 of 18 from the line, while the Giants were just 5 of 11.

"For the most part in the first half we took their best shot, came back and put ourselves in a position," Blackmon said. "There were a couple of shots I would like to have back, but I was proud of our effort and they way we competed. All we can ask for is to be in a situation to win a ballgame and we were in it tonight."

Jalen Blackmon had a game-high 22 for the Giants while Simpson finished with 10.

Farrell added 11 for McCutcheon and Kobe McNeely chipped in 10.

"I was really proud of their effort. Some things didn't go our way as far as foul shooting and a couple balls bounced the wrong direction for us," Scherer said. "I though we showed some perseverance and some toughness in a hostile environment in a game that's really going to pay off for us come tournament time. That's as good of an environment as we've played in."

8 hours ago, ccgeneral said:

@a_mat24: McCutcheon beats Muncie Central 70-58. #iubb signee Rob Phinisee finishes with an unofficial line of 32 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, and 4 steals.

That win gave McC the championship of the North Central Conference with a perfect 9-0 record; 17-4 overall.