Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) PG Robert Phinisee to Cincinnati

Phinisee went to the bench with 3 min. left in the game and McCutcheon leading 82-34 having scored 50 pts.  McCutcheon is on the road Saturday night at Winamac, a 2A school, and Phinisee could have another big night if he’s not too wore out from this game.

LAFAYETTE — Robert Phinisee keeps saying the McCutcheon basketball team is not the Robert Phinisee show.

On Friday night, it was the Robert Phinisee show.

And what a show it was.

The senior point guard scored 50 points, broke the program career scoring record and exited in the fourth quarter to a standing ovation, all equaling a lopsided 91-34 victory over rival Harrison at Resler Gymnasium.

"One of the shots I hit, I think it was a fast break, I pulled back and put up a 3 and it hit the front of the rim, bounced and hit the back of the rim and went in," Phinisee recalled. "Right then I thought it was going to be a good night."

That shot, one which looked like it had no business going in when it left his hand, did bounce, bounce again and fall through. And the fans just shook their heads.

What was Harrison supposed to do?

Phinisee got to the basket at will. He hit from the outside. He had rebound putbacks. He distributed to open players when the Raiders had their two tallest players swarm him at midcourt. 

Phinisee hit a 3 just before the first quarter buzzer.

That shot tied 2002 Indiana All-Star Avery Sheets, who went on to play at Butler, for a program record 1,470 points.  

Phinisee scored 15 more in the second quarter, amounting for 30 points in the first half, while Harrison had eight and trailed by 39 points. 

"When he had 30 at half, we said, let's just keep feeding him the ball," senior Kelden Tyson said. "They can't stop him. I think everyone in the gym might have known that."

Phinisee confided in Tyson that he felt exceptionally good in warmups, perhaps feeling a 30, or possibly a 40 point game on the horizon.

"I don't think he thought, 'I'll have 50,'" Tyson said.

Phinisee exited with four minutes remaining and eight points short of McCutcheon's single game scoring record set by Chad Peckinpaugh, who had 58 in a 1995 game against Fountain Central.

"He (head coach Tyler Scherer) asked me do I want to stay in and try to get it," Phinisee said. "I told him I wanted to come out. I didn't want to force that many shots."

Peckinpaugh was sitting in the front row and admitted after the game that Phinisee might have another run at that record this season.

Phinisee's performance overshadowed an all-around strong night on both ends for McCutcheon, who got stellar defensive play from Tyson and Isaac Angstadt, who had eight points and 10 rebounds. 

"Going into the game, there was extra energy because it's Harrison and because Rob is so close to getting the all-time scoring mark," Scherer said. "Everyone had a little extra bounce in their step and I thought that showed from the opening tip.

"Even though he scores 50, it really was a team effort where other guys were involved and moving the ball. You just kind of let it go at that point. He does an outstanding job of running the show."

Phinisee now has 1,505 points and needs 101 to break Lafayette Jeff graduate David Hanyard's Tippecanoe County scoring record of 1,606, set last year. 

But it is not the Robert Phinisee show, remember.

"We have other guys who can score," Phinisee said after the game. "But when one guy is hot, you keep feeding him the ball."

McCUTCHEON 91, HARRISON 34

HARRISON — Dunwoody 3 1-1 7, J. Walters 0 0-0 0, Bauer 6 0-2 12, C. Walters 0 0-0 0, B. Munoz 3 0-0 6, M. Munoz 2 0-0 5, Burgh 1 0-0 2, Jacobsen 0 0-0 0, Campbell 0 0-0 0, Newton 1 0-0 2, Urban 0 0-2 0. Totala 16 1-5 34.

McCUTCHEON — R. Phinisee 21 4-6 50, Farrell 2 2-2 7, Tyson 2 0-0 5, Angstadt 4 0-0 8, McNeely 3 2-2 10, Miller 2 2-2 6, McGhee 2 0-0 4, J. Phinisee 0 0-0 0, Douglas 0 0-0 0, Mallett1 0-0 2. Totals 37 10-12 91.

I liked the part where he said he didn't want to force that many shots (to break the single game record). It's something extremely small but I like that line if thought. Excited to watch him grow as a person and player at IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I liked the part where he said he didn't want to force that many shots (to break the single game record). It's something extremely small but I like that line if thought. Excited to watch him grow as a person and player at IU.

Glad we signed him befoe anchors down came after him. Sounds like a big time player. Sorry anchors down.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Is Rob’s school a lot smaller than the heralded teams in Indiana? I’d like to see how he’d shape up against some of the more talented teams, obviously played well against Eric Hunter but still.