Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) PG Robert Phinisee to Cincinnati

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Also, we are losing 6'1, 6'3", 6'5, 6'6", and MSB at a hulking 6'9".

in other words, our current 2018 recruits already have slightly increased team size and length.

Hartman gets listed as 6'7" and McSwain 6'6". Buy yeah, it's pretty much an even swap height wise.  Phinisee loses an inch or 2 for Newkirk, Langford gains 2 inches on Rojo, Hunter swaps with Hartman, Damezi swaps with McSwain, and Race swaps with Priller almost.

Rob will be fine, my hope was more that we could have pulled Garland.  Rob will be a fine backup instead just not the immediate level I was hoping.  I know I've been crucified by suggesting I worry about his size/athleticism to face Big Ten guys.  I still worry about these things.  I don't believe the 6'1" talk.  

Its a solid double in my mind and could turn out great if Rob fulfills his pass first tag.    Looking forward to following Rob his Senior year.  Indiana BB will be very exciting to follow this year.  

1 hour ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Forrester isn't going to IU. Even if he wants to commit, I highly doubt Archie takes him. It's now all in for Romeo

The staff offered him and scheduled an official visit this fall knowing full well that Phinisee was likely to commit anyway.  I've seen nothing to suggest his offer was conditional on what Phinisee would do.  They play much different positions.

I'm curious...

This may deserve its own conversation at some point (and not because I'm bringing it up, but because I think it's good banter).   

Romeo is likely a one and done.  Phinisee is at least a 3 year kid, as are most of the players on our roster now.   I want Romeo as much as the next person, however if he decides to go elsewhere, I don't think it'd be a huge loss, specifically because he's likely in and out.

Personally, I want kids who will be at IU for at least 2 seasons and ideally more than that.  I like building teams and consistent success, because I believe if Indiana is consistently "in the conversation," all of us will end up happy with the results.    I compare Indiana to Wisconsin with Indiana having far greater upside potential.   Wisconsin is ALWAYS in the conversation, and they've had terrific success.  Indiana will always be able to get better players than Wisconsin will simply because of the quality of basketball players in Indiana's immediate recruiting circle.

I think you build consistency with kids who will be around a few years, unless you can get enough of them every year to just out-talent everybody.  Individually, why do YOU want Romeo so badly?   Why does he complete things for you?  

P.S.  - I think I really like Archie Miller

6 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I'm curious...

This may deserve its own conversation at some point (and not because I'm bringing it up, but because I think it's good banter).   

Romeo is likely a one and done.  Phinisee is at least a 3 year kid, as are most of the players on our roster now.   I want Romeo as much as the next person, however if he decides to go elsewhere, I don't think it'd be a huge loss, specifically because he's likely in and out.

Personally, I want kids who will be at IU for at least 2 seasons and ideally more than that.  I like building teams and consistent success, because I believe if Indiana is consistently "in the conversation," all of us will end up happy with the results.    I compare Indiana to Wisconsin with Indiana having far greater upside potential.   Wisconsin is ALWAYS in the conversation, and they've had terrific success.  Indiana will always be able to get better players than Wisconsin will simply because of the quality of basketball players in Indiana's immediate recruiting circle.

I think you build consistency with kids who will be around a few years, unless you can get enough of them every year to just out-talent everybody.  Individually, why do YOU want Romeo so badly?   Why does he complete things for you?  

P.S.  - I think I really like Archie Miller

My answer will be in the 2018 recruiting thread 

6 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Romeo is an immediate game changer and would vault IU back to elite status. That's what we want, isn't it? We don't want a three year rebuild.

There are very few players who by themselves and as a freshman make team "elite."   I think he is very good, don't get me wrong.  Exceptional, even.  If we were going to have him for 2-3 years, I would never have posted what I did.   I'm not suggesting a 3 year rebuild.  I'm simply asking why people want him so badly given he'll only be here a year.  

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

The staff offered him and scheduled an official visit this fall knowing full well that Phinisee was likely to commit anyway.  I've seen nothing to suggest his offer was conditional on what Phinisee would do.  They play much different positions.

He's not coming to IU

This thread if for RP.   So to get back on track I feel with the interviews I've read after RP committed he is going to have a chance to come in and work for a starting spot. Just a feeling I get from his conversations about what the staff has told him 

@ old friend - Romeo isn't a must have recruit like a poster has said but he does a lot of things for Archie and IU. He shows other all-Americans that IU is a destination for top talent, he makes us better faster, a fast build will keep everyone's eyes on IU and it will give Archie his first NBA draft pick and maybe. Lottery guy. As much as I couldn't care less, having a history of putting guys in the league is important to recruits when evaluating which school and coach to play for. 

15 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Top 100 in-state point guard, I like it! 

I think this is much larger than just getting a point guard or a top 100 recruit.  From the interviews and others accounts, it seems as though RP can project an image that IU is working towards.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a recruit or two pick IU, in part, because of RP.  I think he will be a very good pg after spending a few years at IU. 

I don't see how someone could be bummed about this commit. Phinisee is a top 100 player and an in-state recruit at a position that is much needed. And it definitely helps with Romeo