Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) PG Robert Phinisee to Cincinnati

I'd like to have someone who has played the PG position on the team versus trying to mold shooting guards and wings into floor generals. We have the room for RP, come on down. Take what you can get, and hope that stronger PG options are available in 2018/2019. If they aren't, hope it's because RP out did his ranking.

At RP last game in the July evaluations IU was 3 deep (Ostrom, Flint, and CAM) at his game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ik which is why it sounded to me like a 'we're (Purdue) not going to get him so let me play it off like he isn't even that good and nobody truly wants him' type of thing. Especially since it seems like he is IU's to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:
Actually you would be surprised. Archie has listened to the staff a lot more than I ever saw Crean listen to his assistants. The staff member just said he thought there were better options at PG than RP in this class. But also understands that you should take a top 100 kid in the state if he wants to come here. Just don't be surprised if you see them recruiting a PG in next years class. 

I would be more surprised if they weren't recruiting a PG in the 2019 class regardless of who the PG is next year

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Good post. I agree with you. I'm not mad though. Just convincing myself the staff knows more than me. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in being a know it all. emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Our problem is that we've been spoiled by having a Yogi Ferrell for the last 4 years.

Well...that depends on your tolerance:
The lifeblood of this board is well-written analysis, reasonable speculation, respectful disagreement, open debate, and interesting information. You have been a poster that contributes all of these dynamics in a major way. When a direct, staff-attributed assessment of a recruit is shared, I find it completely compelling, but it is wholly reasonable to expect that it will bring out the speculation and debate elements.
My take? I love posts like that, but you have to keep on keeping on only when you're okay with people questioning what you may know to be true. 

Perfectly said. It's your choice what to post. I enjoy debate and conversation whether my opinion agrees with it or not, doesn't mean your opinion and your sources are bad. Keep them coming.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I would take RP in a heartbeat. I think he could have a nice career here. He could be the starting pg on a B1G title and Sweet 16 type team. I'm just not sold on him being the primary pg on a Final Four team. If you surround him with great to elite talent, maybe.

I don't get the "recruiting over" side of things with the in state coaches if you're honest. As in, " Robert, we want you at IU but you'll have to earn your spot. There is playing time available but it'll be competitive and you could end up coming off the bench." Then, you're not burning any bridges if we land an elite pg in 2019 and RP is a backup pg on a final four team.

47 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I would take RP in a heartbeat. I think he could have a nice career here. He could be the starting pg on a B1G title and Sweet 16 type team. I'm just not sold on him being the primary pg on a Final Four team. If you surround him with great to elite talent, maybe.

I don't get the "recruiting over" side of things with the in state coaches if you're honest. As in, " Robert, we want you at IU but you'll have to earn your spot. There is playing time available but it'll be competitive and you could end up coming off the bench." Then, you're not burning any bridges if we land an elite pg in 2019 and RP is a backup pg on a final four team.

Maybe people are assuming you can't win a recruitment with that message when OSU is selling him the keys to the castle. I don't know what IU's message is to him, so I can't say either way. But the message you're putting out there is used, and certain recruits respond to it, some reject it. A lot has to do with the kid, his people, existing offers, etc. 

From what I've heard about Archie on the trail is he is pretty straight-forward with his intent for the recruit. There can be some harm in that within an individual recruitment. You may not get the kid 6'7 SF who needs to hear he'll play 40 min a game bringing the ball up the floor, but long-term you keep relationships intact. You win recruitments with relationships, plain and simple. 

Don't get me started on these in-state coaches.... :)

4 hours ago, HoosierD said:

Pap and Chris, can you guys confirm this?

One of my best friends is a die hard Purdue fan and says that the guy that runs their rivals site is saying that none of the schools involved with RP are really pushing that hard currently. According to him, all of the schools would still take him if he committed today tho.

I've not heard that, no. I'm not sure I buy that but, if so, more than anything that would speak to IU feeling good about another recruit they like more. I also don't think that is the case. 

RP reminds me a lot of Quenten Snyder of Louisville a couple years back. Played with very good talent around him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

A little bit. Quentin Snider was slightly bigger and a composite #38 and 247 #53.

I kind of get this comparison based on the whole floor general tag, near same size, below the rim type.

But again, Snider was quite a bit more widely regarded. Maybe it's like Pap said, and RP can blame his AAU team for that. Idk.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

RP reminds me a lot of Quenten Snyder of Louisville a couple years back. Played with very good talent around him.

A little bit. Quentin Snider was slightly bigger and a composite #38 and 247 #53.

I kind of get this comparison based on the whole floor general tag, near same size, below the rim type.

But again, Snider was quite a bit more widely regarded. Maybe it's like Pap said, and RP can blame his AAU team for that. Idk.

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I'm no Louisville expert, when did Snider start to make an impact with them?  Sophomore?  

My big concerns at the point are: Can he knock down the kick out jumper, can he make the right decisions on the break, and can he get us in the right sets in the half court. With Archies philosophy on defense, not really concerned about RP being exposed (or any other point)

RP is not the early answer. But RP could grow into a perfect situation. He is a pass first PG, (which was a major issue in AAU because his team was, frankly, horrible) and if IU is going to land all this talent we keep talking about 2-5, RP is perfect. Holds onto the ball, distributor, floor general. 
All the while IU can swing away at PG if they please. 

You've basically nailed my position on the matter.