Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

(2018) PG Robert Phinisee to Cincinnati

I agree with you I'm not 100% sold either. I have only seen him at the IU camp but I would gladly take Devoe or Duke. I love that he is a in state kid and glad he won't be going to another big ten school just IMO not sure he contributes the next two years and I hope I'm wrong. But I do know a member of the staff who thinks the same thing because we have talked about it.

🤞

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

U left of Villanova main guy. Ryan A. Long name. He was a top 60 recruit as well

Looks like the depth chart I had was 16-17.  My bad.   He was 57, and Daniel Ochefu came in at #49.  So their average is 58, which is the same as IU in my little scenario.

And yes, experience matters.  We're talking about recruiting.  Can't give them experience until you recruit them onto your roster.  FFS.

The point, Helpy Helpertons, is that we're building a roster that is good enough.  

I agree with you I'm not 100% sold either. I have only seen him at the IU camp but I would gladly take Devoe or Duke. I love that he is a in state kid and glad he won't be going to another big ten school just IMO not sure he contributes the next two years and I hope I'm wrong. But I do know a member of the staff who thinks the same thing because we have talked about it.

Depends on who you talk to on the staff as to how they view RP. If all the staff felt the way u do and the staff member u talked to then RP's recruitment should be a no brainer for him. He should be a Buckeye. But other members of the staff have said glowing things about RPs ability to run a team and just being a winning player that if the entire staff felt this way he should be a Hoosier. It would be tough for me to draw a conclusion on a kid from a week team camp and disregard 3 years of high school tape. Hopefully the staff have watched film of his sophomore and junior year's especially his sophomore year where he led his team to the state finals

I can never see a staff member of IU basketball saying a top 100 kid will not contribute for two years before his Senior year. No coach in his Nostradamus mind would make essentially a three year proclamation. If they feel that way they don't offer or accept commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I can never see a staff member of IU basketball saying a top 100 kid will not contribute for two years before his Senior year. No coach in his Nostradamus mind would make essentially a three year proclamation. If they feel that way they don't offer or accept commitment.

I don't think he would tell just any fan this but I was trying to share what I was told about him. I should probably just keep that info to direct messages or myself

Assistants are awesome and I love ours, but Archie doesn't fly cross country for an IN STATE kid if he doesn't think he can contribute for half his scholly. Also knowing even with Garland they would need RP to play a bit leaves that statement very questionable. The in state thing is a factor, but remember Eric Hunter and Aaron Henry were recruited but not very hard by the staff and are both good in state talent. I have heard they want him not for his ceiling, but his floor. The floor being a pass first pg who handles the ball well and can hit shots every now and then, which in college plenty of good teams get away with.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Hit send before I was finished, but to finish the staff knows that floor, but also knows it is possible he could be very good. Imagine if our pg this year was a kid like Hartman. We would all be happy and that seems like what RP will offer with maybe a little more ceiling.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't think he would tell just any fan this but I was trying to share what I was told about him. I should probably just keep that info to direct messages or myself

I am guessing that staff member's opinion is not valued if that is how they feel. For AM to offer a scholly and accept one from this kid (a top 100 in state kid) and feel he won't play for two years? Sketchy at best. First it would be career suicide in this state with AAU coaches to bring a kid on like this from this state and not play him or think he is good enough. That would make him a liar, and like I said career suicide. Second, if this person is anything other than an assistant coach I doubt he has watched RP much. As those staff members can't recruit. Plus I have never been around a coach that blatantly said he didn't think a player would play until his Junior year. It's "he has upside and an opportunity his sophomore year as he sits behind xxxxx and learns his Freshman year". Thank you for sharing, but I am skeptical on this one.

This other team in our conference just won a B1G title with PJ Thompson as their PG. PJ is a past first guy that's capable of making open shots, never seems to hurt the team when he's on the floor, and is a good defender. RP checks off all of those things and is much better at this point than what PJ was.

I understand those that are skeptical bc he doesn't doing anything that jumps out at you in his highlights, but I'll take RP in a heart beat. Ik I won't be happy if he's not a Hoosier.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not worried about someone questioning what I know, I live this. I just liked this board the best when I started posting and trying to give everyone a different take. But once the season gets going I won't be around near as much so just trying to enjoy it now. It's all good.

In Chris007 we trust!!  Keep on keepin on sir!

Actually you would be surprised. Archie has listened to the staff a lot more than I ever saw Crean listen to his assistants. The staff member just said he thought there were better options at PG than RP in this class. But also understands that you should take a top 100 kid in the state if he wants to come here. Just don't be surprised if you see them recruiting a PG in next years class. 

I would hope they would as I am a firm believer of always having two quality PG and Bigs. One thing is glaringly obvious for 2019 is we seem to be going hard after a big. I like that move. I don't disagree about there being better options than RP this year. But outside of Garland the PG's aren't head and shoulders above RP. That's a tough sell on the local AAU scene if you go outside for someone not that much better than the local crowd. I think this move is as much political as it is they think he can play. I don't envision any scenario the local kid comes to ride the pine until he is an upperclassman. I have no doubts your guy gave you this info. I am just not sure he realizes what he is truly saying when he suggests these things. A lot more to it than on court. This is where Crean failed. I can't see Archie making the same mistakes this quick.

Pap and Chris, can you guys confirm this?

One of my best friends is a die hard Purdue fan and says that the guy that runs their rivals site is saying that none of the schools involved with RP are really pushing that hard currently. According to him, all of the schools would still take him if he committed today tho.

I do wish RP would stretch out his recruitment a little longer to the signing date. Garland is saying that he might decide and sign in the early period, whereas before he seemed like a definite spring kid. I know Vandy is the favorite but it seems like IU could make a great sales pitch to him with the playing time we have available. Bird in the hand and all that though, if RP commits at the end of the month I will be excited. 

Just now, HoosierD said:

One of my best friends is a die hard Purdue fan and says that the guy that runs their rivals site is saying that none of the schools involved with RP are really pushing that hard currently. According to him, all of the schools would still take him if he committed today tho.

I have no idea about rivals or any other schools but I know for sure we pushed hard on the day that Hunter and Anderson committed to get RP to commit also. It's known that Bruiser called and tried to get him to pull the trigger. I think that we are still in contact with him yes, but I'm also pretty sure that Archie has been in contact with Duke, Dort and Devoe more often. All of this is my opinion mixed if with what I have been told. 

I would hope they would as I am a firm believer of always having two quality PG and Bigs. One thing is glaringly obvious for 2019 is we seem to be going hard after a big. I like that move. I don't disagree about there being better options than RP this year. But outside of Garland the PG's aren't head and shoulders above RP. That's a tough sell on the local AAU scene if you go outside for someone not that much better than the local crowd. I think this move is as much political as it is they think he can play. I don't envision any scenario the local kid comes to ride the pine until he is an upperclassman. I have no doubts your guy gave you this info. I am just not sure he realizes what he is truly saying when he suggests these things. A lot more to it than on court. This is where Crean failed. I can't see Archie making the same mistakes this quick.

This was my thing a while ago. If he truly isn't going to be the guy you need and will use then you are better off doing something else. Can't recruit him like that, then not play or use him. That is the tricky thing about in state recruiting in particular. Those coaches want to see their players succeed. If we've scouted RP enough to know he is or will be that guy, that's all that matters.

If he doesn't have the success at IU that he envisions or that the staff sells him on, it's a bad look imo. Every school is going to have this, so I get it, but in state recruiting makes it trickier.

At RP last game in the July evaluations IU was 3 deep (Ostrom, Flint, and CAM) at his game