Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Yogi'sBicep

A look at the future

I didn't mean to imply that we should only recruit from the midwest because we shouldn't.  But, it's no secret that CTC hasn't been overly successful in that regard and yet Izzo has drawn some very good talent from Indiana and Ohio.  I believe Fife would have connections that we seemingly don't have.  Bottom line, I think Fife would be a more overall effective recruiter and more capable of putting a product on the court that would resemble a quality basketball team and not a soap opera.  Just my opinion.

But objective evidence suggests he shouldn't recruit the midwest. He's statistically less likely to win a championship with a majority midwest team than without, that would suggest we recruit the midwest too much already.

I see iubb as a powerhouse basketball program with ctc as coach.
Now that we have hasn't creaned a player in 5 years, we actually have some seniors on our team. Ctc has also learned his lesson about recruiting idiots, and only recruits kids with 3.0 or higher gpa. We now have a consistent roster returning, instead of starting our roster over every single year.

Now that we have hasn't creaned a player in 5 years, we actually have some seniors on our team. Ctc has also learned his lesson about recruiting idiots, and only recruits kids with 3.0 or higher gpa. We now have a consistent roster returning, instead of starting our roster over every single year.

Huh???

Hell nah cuz

Sadly, I see us two years removed from firing our head coach. Young talent on our roster. The team at mediocrity in the big ten with a promising head coach.

If young talent on the roster is a factor in saving CTC's job then he's guaranteed to be head coach until he's 101 years old.  Hardly anyone seems to stick around long enough to have 'old' talent between transfers, dismissals, early NBA.

What high-level recruit is going to come to IU knowing the situation? or knowing that Crean is walking on thin ice and might not be here in a season? I guess winning changes those views, but I would not be surprised to see 2016 be one of the worst recruiting classes in the Crean era.

Think Dane Fife.  Recruited by Knight at the end of his tenure so all the Knight era hangeronners should be appeased.  Hardnosed kid without RMK's abrasiveness.  Played his heart out for IU.  Has minimal head coaching experience but he's been studying under a pretty damn good coach in Tom Izzo and from where does Izzo recruit the majority of his players?  The midwest.  I think he'd be well worth the gamble as our head coach.

I like Fife but he's not ready for the IU job. His next job needs to be a high level mid major program where he can prove to be a winner consistently. I'd prefer he took the Archie Miller route before we hire him. We have to start setting our sights higher and pull out the checkbook.  

I like Fife but he's not ready for the IU job. His next job needs to be a high level mid major program where he can prove to be a winner consistently. I'd prefer he took the Archie Miller route before we hire him. We have to start setting our sights higher and pull out the checkbook.  

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sold on the idea that the checkbook is the solution.  How did Kelvin Sampson work out and how's CTC working out?  And do I not remember correctly (remember I'm old and the memory isn't what it once was) that there weren't a lot of high profile coaches interested in our position when CTC was hired?  And don't forget RMK was kind of an off-the-wall hire and that worked out pretty darn well for the biggest part of his tenure.  I don't know who the right coach is, but a large number of us agree on who the wrong coach is.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sold on the idea that the checkbook is the solution.  How did Kelvin Sampson work out and how's CTC working out?  And do I not remember correctly (remember I'm old and the memory isn't what it once was) that there weren't a lot of high profile coaches interested in our position when CTC was hired?  And don't forget RMK was kind of an off-the-wall hire and that worked out pretty darn well for the biggest part of his tenure.  I don't know who the right coach is, but a large number of us agree on who the wrong coach is.

The problem here is that we threw money at a guy who didn't deserve it. I'm talking about targeting proven, elite level coaches and making sure that money isn't the reason they turn down the job. Knight was definitely someone who established himself as a winner at Army, and he was a fast riser. Fife HAS to prove more before he gets the Indiana job. We cannot afford anything less than a homerun with the next hire. 

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sold on the idea that the checkbook is the solution. How did Kelvin Sampson work out and how's CTC working out? And do I not remember correctly (remember I'm old and the memory isn't what it once was) that there weren't a lot of high profile coaches interested in our position when CTC was hired? And don't forget RMK was kind of an off-the-wall hire and that worked out pretty darn well for the biggest part of his tenure. I don't know who the right coach is, but a large number of us agree on who the wrong coach is.

Do you honestly believe the current conditions on the team are comparable to when Crean was hired?

Not many coaches wanted to sign up for a program under sanctions in an absolute pit. They didn't want four years of "not going to count that one" seasons.

The situation is totally different this time.

If I had to guess...Stevens turns us down this offseason, we hire a different coach then him and everyone on this site are having pretty much the same arguments as they are now but with whoever we hire in place of Crean.  

Do you honestly believe the current conditions on the team are comparable to when Crean was hired?

Not many coaches wanted to sign up for a program under sanctions in an absolute pit. They didn't want four years of "not going to count that one" seasons.

The situation is totally different this time.

Of course the conditions are nowhere near as deplorable as they were when CTC was hired.  That wasn't my point.  To me, opening the checkbook and allowing the next coach to fill in the amount isn't necessarily the right solution.  We're kind of in that position right now with the extension CTC was given and the size of his buyout aren't we?  

If I had to guess...Stevens turns us down this offseason, we hire a different coach then him and everyone on this site are having pretty much the same arguments as they are now but with whoever we hire in place of Crean.  

He already turned us down this last offseason. There was a group from IU that went to Boston to gauge his interest and he wasn't interested at all. He is where he wants to be. Plus in Boston there is no pressure to win