Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Clearly we all loved the group of guys we had in 12-13 as Indiana basketball players and as leaders for the program. But how would we compare the 15-16 team to them? If you think about it, there are quite a few similarities. Both having Yogi at PG. Troy is constantly being compared to Vic. No one knows how successful Bryant will turn out to be, but I'm optimistic. So no I am not comparing Bryant to Cody Zeller in terms of play style, but they are both stud big men. 12-13 had Jordy Hulls and 15-16 has James Blackmon, a better athlete than Hulls while yet maybe lacking Hull's incredible basketball IQ. Regardless, both can shoot lights out. Z3 also comparable to Hulls in terms of IQ and shooting. We don't quite have a replacement for CWat just yet, but I would like to argue that Hartman is working his way up there. You guys go ahead and add anything else you think would be comparable along with your thoughts.

- Yogi is much better and having a SR point guard is the most valuable assest in CBB

- James is comparable to Hulls in terms of shooting capabilities, more athletic and taller, Jordan was smarter

- Troy is arguably as athletic as Vic, but we'll see about the shooting improvement this year. Vic was the better leader and consistently stronger defender

- Bryant is a different type of big man than Zeller. Cody was very smart and could run the floor well, but played smaller at times. We'll see how well Bryant uses his body

- 2015 has more overall depth but no one as good coming off the bench as Sheehey

- The 2013 team had a huge asset in Watford being both a SR and having the ability to shoot with that size

- The 2013 team was more disciplined, focused, cohesive, and had better overall shooters in the starting lineup

- The 2015 team is more athletic and hopefully more well-rounded

- The 2013 team had more confidence and momentum going into the season

While the 2012-13 team was a title contender, they were limited in their overall upside by a small and unathletic SG, a freshman PG, little depth, and Tom Crean. 2015-16's limits may come from poor defense, maturity, focus, and Tom Crean. However, if our defensive weakspots are no longer a liability and they stay focused, this team is better built for the tournament.

This team this year has a legit shot at the national title.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'll take the '12-'13 team over this bunch all day long. And I think that team was a much more legitimate contender for the banner. Too much in the prognostications for this years team is based on potential (and their ability to not get kicked off the team) but too many questions that still have to be answered on the court. Maybe it all comes together. Glad if it does, and I'll still take the '12-'13 team over this one all day long.

No question the '12-'13 is better. The team just couldn't get things going at the end, but was the best team in college basketball. Just caught a tough draw where we were slumping. Zeller, Oladipo, and Watford would have a field day with this current team. 

12-13 all the way. They were Hoosiers!

This bunch is on paper very talented, and we will see if they can actually play ball. They lack the class that was so plentiful in 12-13.

I will always root for IU, but this has been a trying couple of years, and I hate that creans job is based on this one group of kids and not the bigger picture. He has not had success.

please, it wouldnt even be a competitive game.  12-13 would run 15-16 straight out of the gym.  would be fun to watch that asskicking though.

sr yogi .............. jr oladipo

so jbj ................ sr hulls

jr williams ......... jr sheehey

jr hartman ....... sr watford

fr bryant ........... so zeller

so rojo .............. so abell

sr zeisloft .......... jr creek

sr biefeldt ......... sr elston

bryant would routinely get his lunch eaten.  dude's raw, hasnt played a college game yet, matched against the preseason national poy and surefire lottery pick.  clinic in session.

jr-year oladipo was the best iu player since cheaney imo.  easily best iu player these young eyes have ever seen.  williams has a long way to go to become an intelligent basketball player.  i cringe hard when people compare the two.  dmv and athleticism, thats it.  basketball talent...

williams nor hartman would stand a chance defending cwat.  a sr hulls would put on a show with jbj on him.

yogi would need to look like an all-american plus hartman and jbj unable to miss for the 15-16 squad to make it a game.  unfortunately for yogi, a lockdown defender and future nba all-star would make that an incredibly tough task.

This team this year has a legit shot at the national title.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm not feeling it. Too many individual players, and very little team concept with this group. The attitude is totally different.

The 12-13 team brought the recovery from the Samsung cluster****. The program had been in the gutter and was struggling to rebuilt itself. We had endured several years as doormats in the B1G, and the 12-13 team had the talent, desire and teamwork to make some noise in the league and in the tournament. (Sadly, we all know how that ended, but I digress). But the outcome notwithstanding, those guys worked hard, pushed themselves and each other and grew together as a team - and as a team, they accomplished much.

The 15-16 group came into the program with a sense of entitlement. They hadn't lived through the really lean years, and "The Movement" was a bunch of unproven hype. It crashed and burned. With all of the distractions of the off court issues and players being dismissed from the team, it has and will affect this bunch. I don't see them as mentally tough enough to focus and survive all of the events. I hope that I am wrong, and I long for the day when a team of hungry, young men fight to bring back the glory to IU, but from what I've seen, we are not there yet.

No comparison.
Hulls- Indiana
Elston- Indiana
Yogi- Indiana
Cody- Indiana
Jeff Howard- Indiana
Taylor wayer- Indiana
Ethrington- Indiana
Raphael smith- Indiana
----------------------------------
Vic & Sheehey- Indiana gave them a shot. They loved their teammates, coach, & school.

Cwat went through it all with these guys. Played for them and his school to return pride.

They worked because they cared for Indiana University, each other, & their coach.

Seems like most of these guys who are returning play for themselves, not their team or coach or School.