Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Emmitt Holt dismissed from team

Agree. I did not really share you opinion on all of this. Agree with your sentiments, but felt dismissal was too harsh and that Holt was paying for Crean's ineptitude and other players transgressions. But, with this news, my opinion has changed and Crean's quotes from last week make much more sense.

You just can't keep Holt knowing he got in trouble hanging out with Hanner, and bringing two freshmen into that. It changes the equation.

It it's true that Perea was there, this whole scenario is beyond belief. To quote Forest Gump, "stupid is as stupid does".

But its inconsistent with Troy and Stans multiple failed drug tests and the course of action taken there. No consistency or real punishment until it's really too late to salvage his career. Look no further than a 2 game suspension Hanner received for a DUI or preseason game punishments handed out to Stan and Troy. I also believe what Crean's done now is proper and deserving, but his lack of this previously has led his team to many of the same mistakes. Wonder why?

My only thought is that either McRobbie and/or Glass got the message across. Unfortunately, you can't go back and change history (politics notwithstanding)... you can only adjust your course from where you currently find yourself.

Jake Query @jakequery
It appears Emmit Holt's final violation was compounded by the fact he was in the company of Hanner Perea.

With this being added to the equation, I am totally behind this move. Holt obviously has ridiculously poor judgment. Shouldn't HMP be in Tennessee by now?

But its inconsistent with Troy and Stans multiple failed drug tests and the course of action taken there. No consistency or real punishment until it's really too late to salvage his career. Look no further than a 2 game suspension Hanner received for a DUI or preseason game punishments handed out to Stan and Troy. I also believe what Crean's done now is proper and deserving, but his lack of this previously has led his team to many of the same mistakes. Wonder why?

Crean himself has even come out and said he made mistakes not being tougher one players in the past. He is someone who wants to help kids out and sees a lot of potential in them and its backfired on him many times. He saw that what was going on didn't work and now has a different mindset and it shows. I know not everyone is a fan of the man but he is allowed to make mistakes as well and learn from them. He made mistakes with previous punishments but the last few situations he has handled them properly

What was Crean supposed to do? He isn't the parent, he can't be with them all 24 hours a day. I don't get how anyone puts stupid college kid mistakes on the coach.

Crean is supposed to create an environment and culture where making these kinds of mistakes is neither tolerated nor accepted.   A kid can get busted once.  Every kid's entitled to a mistake.  But you cannot, within 10 months, put yourself in multiple positions like this.  It's very easy to say no coach can monitor his players.   But that's a cop out.  A coach who's in charge of players on campus for free is absolutely responsible for those kids' behavior and actions whether he's there or not.   Kids who understand a program and culture don't want to let those entities down.  Those who feel no accountability nor loyalty will put themselves, and their program, in a horrible position....repeatedly.   Which is what you have here.   You have players who clearly have no respect for their coach, no respect for their program, and no respect for their team mates.  They're in it for themselves....which is completely counter to the best interest of any team, and especially one with the visibility of Indiana Basketball.  

Kicking Holt offf the team is excessive punishment for posessing an unopened bottle of alcohol. Last year Davis was at fault for jumping into Holt's car. Holt had what amounts to one beer last year and he loses his scholarship while Hanner got a two game suspension for driving drunk. CTC has committed the greater sin of stealing money from IU for many years . I would have recommended that Holt not be allowed to go to Maui and miss 10 games in total.

Kicking Holt offf the team is excessive punishment for posessing an unopened bottle of alcohol. Last year Davis was at fault for jumping into Holt's car. Holt had what amounts to one beer last year and he loses his scholarship while Hanner got a two game suspension for driving drunk. CTC has committed the greater sin of stealing money from IU for many years . I would have recommended that Holt not be allowed to go to Maui and miss 10 games in total.

I don't think it's excessive punishment because after May 15 these guys had to know they were basically on zero tolerance. 

The other thing though that I believe is that if Crean was thinking about 10 games as you suggested and as I actually thought was going to be about right, I'm guessing that President McRobbie's words changed everything. After that, this outcome was almost scripted.

Crean is supposed to create an environment and culture where making these kinds of mistakes is neither tolerated nor accepted. A kid can get busted once. Every kid's entitled to a mistake. But you cannot, within 10 months, put yourself in multiple positions like this. It's very easy to say no coach can monitor his players. But that's a cop out. A coach who's in charge of players on campus for free is absolutely responsible for those kids' behavior and actions whether he's there or not. Kids who understand a program and culture don't want to let those entities down. Those who feel no accountability nor loyalty will put themselves, and their program, in a horrible position....repeatedly. Which is what you have here. You have players who clearly have no respect for their coach, no respect for their program, and no respect for their team mates. They're in it for themselves....which is completely counter to the best interest of any team, and especially one with the visibility of Indiana Basketball.

needless to say they had a fifth of Vodka in the car ..sitting less than 2 blocks from assembly hall and ..they were not going to drive ?!? They are lucky they got off with this and the 2 unnamed riders too

Crean himself has even come out and said he made mistakes not being tougher one players in the past. He is someone who wants to help kids out and sees a lot of potential in them and its backfired on him many times. He saw that what was going on didn't work and now has a different mindset and it shows. I know not everyone is a fan of the man but he is allowed to make mistakes as well and learn from them. He made mistakes with previous punishments but the last few situations he has handled them properly

I would buy this if he hasn't been a head coach at a division 1 level for 15 years and an assistant for 10 before then. I do agree it has backfired but establishing a discipline program in year 9 is 8 years too many. Let's be honest Hanner would still be on the team if Crean really had it his way.