Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MartintheMopMan

Tim Beckham fired from Illinois

I wonder if Groce is safe?

My guess is this new AD was brought in to clean house. Really doubt anyone is safe over there. Groce had some rotten luck this season. Surely expectations for next year were discussed or Groce will be shown the door.

Yes, with our 0 year bowl drought, we should definitely be targeting coaching candidates.

Wilson vs a long tenured, popular, widely known NFL coach... Hmm I wonder which I would choose.

This would be like IU hiring Tony Dungy or Chuck Pagano. No contest. Illinois is making a home run hire if true.

I like Lovie, but he's no Tony Dungy. Not really the best comparison imho.

I mean, if you're comparing NFL hires then sure go ahead and make that argument. But this is college. The Lovie hire is compared to programs like Illinois hiring some small conference nobody and hoping it works out.

Lovie is a popular, out of work coach being hired by the state university in the state where he made his name. Tony Dungy would be the same for IU. Not sure why you would argue with that comparison. It's why I chose Dungy as an example. I thought that was obvious but happy to explain.

It's definitely a swing for the fences hire. Could be a grand slam or a strike out. 

I like Lovie and think he's a good coach. But he's a career .500 HC who's been out of the college ranks for 20 years. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. If it works, glad they're in the other division.

I can't think of a recent example of a decent NFL HC heading back to college. 

*edit--totally forgot about Harbaugh. D'oh!

Wilson vs a long tenured, popular, widely known NFL coach... Hmm I wonder which I would choose.

This would be like IU hiring Tony Dungy or Chuck Pagano. No contest. Illinois is making a home run hire if true.

Its absolutely a big name hire, but there is a very good chance this turns out poorly.

Its absolutely a big name hire, but there is a very good chance this turns out poorly.

Yes, it could absolutely turn out poorly. Will UI have the budget for both Lovie and top notch assistants? Cheaping out on assistants is one way to derail that hire. 

I maintain that it is a home run hire though. Definitely winning the press conference and electrifying the fan base. Time will tell if that translates to wins on the field.