Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

chicagoHOOSIER

Lindy's Sports IU Preseason #4

I'm not trying to say that are guards are good defensively whatsoever but a lack of inside presence last year to me makes their struggles look Huge compared to what they actually were. Just IMO

But does a freshman Bryant give you that presence? I'm not so sure. He might be a great defender straight up but even then I think he will have the usual freshman breakdown of missed assignments and rotations. 

But does a freshman Bryant give you that presence? I'm not so sure. He might be a great defender straight up but even then I think he will have the usual freshman breakdown of missed assignments and rotations.

He might not understand every rotation, no freshmen does, but just from watching this guy he understands the post defensive principles, and if you don't think he'll do a better job the HMP then I have to say I don't agree with you.

a freshman noah gave us that presence. With noah in the middle we had an kenpom adjusted defense of 47. I think bryant can bring a presence similar to noah. Without out noah in the middle our defense was in the 200 's.

[quote name="chicagoHOOSIER" post="188807" timestamp="1440792844"]

I agree. Our defense has been terrible for years now. That is my greatest complaint of the Crean era.

The 2 years before last year we were not awful in the defense department. 28 and 47 in adjusted defense according to kenpom. Did noah, will, and evan leaving really make that big of difference from a 47th defense to 1 that was in the 200's

[quote name="chicagoHOOSIER" post="188807" timestamp="1440792844"]

I agree. Our defense has been terrible for years now. That is my greatest complaint of the Crean era.

The 2 years before last year we were not awful in the defense department. 28 and 47 in adjusted defense according to kenpom. Did noah, will, and evan leaving really make that big of difference from a 47th defense to 1 that was in the 200's

I just think 28 and 47 should be our bad years on defense, not our good years.  That's all.  

Defense in the 200's and 300's is inexcusable.

He might not understand every rotation, no freshmen does, but just from watching this guy he understands the post defensive principles, and if you don't think he'll do a better job the HMP then I have to say I don't agree with you.

God, I hope he's better than Hanner.

I'm so confused here.  Are you telling me what my words meant?  Can I tell you instead?

No games have been played this year, so everybody has something to prove.  I'm fine with this preseason ranking.

We have the talent to be top 4 but that would assume we learn to play D, can play in a half court set, play together, have no major distractions and coaches put players in the best place to succeed.

I think 14 is about right as I doubt all of those pieces come together. Talent alone won't do it

Bryant gives an option and he gives us potential.   Right now, there's nothing but hope.  Being a difference maker on defense is far more attitude and mobility than size.   I've not seen him move like an elite athlete.  When I've seen him, he looks a little slower than elite players, but moves well enough to give Indiana a good option.  I'm not close to saying he is a "presence" or a difference maker.    We're still going to be a perimeter oriented team on the offensive end, and we'll still struggle out there on the defensive end; which means Bryant will have to help a lot in order to make a difference, but with that comes the risk of leaving a hole behind him, which exposes the real defensive weaknesses, which is our way-too-frequent allowing of penetration.

Hey guys, great stuff so far. I think we have the talent to be top 10, but I do feel we will end up the season around 15-20. We have arguably the best backcourt, but defense is too big of a question right now. Also, what will happen inside once Bryant goes out or is in foul trouble? Holt, Hartmann, and Williams struggled guarding bigger guys.

Our offense will be great, no questions there. To me, I just can't say they are a for sure top 15 team until the defense picks it up.

Hey guys, great stuff so far. I think we have the talent to be top 10, but I do feel we will end up the season around 15-20. We have arguably the best backcourt, but defense is too big of a question right now. Also, what will happen inside once Bryant goes out or is in foul trouble? Holt, Hartmann, and Williams struggled guarding bigger guys.

Our offense will be great, no questions there. To me, I just can't say they are a for sure top 15 team until the defense picks it up.

I agree that we'll probably hang between 15-20 (though I'm feeling more like 13-20, but that's just details). But don't forget that we have Max to jump in every so often to give Bryant a rest/if he's in foul trouble.

We do have Bielfeldt and Morgan which should help with interior depth.

I don't think the inside game will look even half as bad as last season.Crean even eluded to using the 3 guard set more sparingly.