Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

swatford

Thomas Bryant and Emmitt Holt cited for illegal alcohol posession

The legal consequences are basically nothing. It's not worth the time and money to fight it. It's the public perception that's the problem, and there's no going back from that right now. Plea and get it over with legally.

I disagree.

If extreme elements of the fanbase are squawking nonstop about kicking guys off the team for this, then I think it would be well worth the time taken to bombard the courthouse with motions, subpoenas, continuances, and force the state to think about how much time, effort, manpower, and money they want to waste on these very small offenses.

I don't think Bryant and Holt should spend a dime.  I think they should go to the law library, check out a few books on beating a minor possession case in the state of Indiana, and do most of the legwork themselves.  Maybe see if they qualify for help from one of the IU legal assistance clinics through the law school, and/or let some IU law students gain some valuable court room experience helping file motions, etc.  

No reason to spend money on this.  The object is to make the other side spend the money and make them say "uncle."  Make them think twice about fu*klng with Bryant or Holt again.

Bryant and Holt should be focused on proving the alcohol did not belong to them.  That should be easy enough to do.

I disagree.

If extreme elements of the fanbase are squawking nonstop about kicking guys off the team for this, then I think it would be well worth the time taken to bombard the courthouse with motions, subpoenas, continuances, and force the state to think about how much time, effort, manpower, and money they want to waste on these very small offenses.

I don't think Bryant and Holt should spend a dime.  I think they should go to the law library, check out a few books on beating a minor possession case in the state of Indiana, and do most of the legwork themselves.  Maybe see if they qualify for help from one of the IU legal assistance clinics through the law school, and/or let some IU law students gain some valuable court room experience helping file motions, etc.  

No reason to spend money on this.  The object is to make the other side spend the money and make them say "uncle."  Make them think twice about fu*klng with Bryant or Holt again.

Bryant and Holt should be focused on proving the alcohol did not belong to them.  That should be easy enough to do.

Ahhhhh...

No.

Ahhhhh...

No.

Do you have anything more for us than that?

That's not really a very good argument.

Perhaps you suggest they should spend 5 or 6 grand with an overpriced lawyer to fight the case.

Or simply plead guilty to a crime they did not commit because it would take too much time, effort, and/or money to fight using a lawyer.

As students at IU, they have access to one of the best law libraries in the world.

And as IU basketball players, I doubt they would have much trouble enlisting help from hundreds of law students willing to write motions for them.  Bryant and Holt can go down to the courthouse and file the motions themselves.

Do you have anything more for us than that?

That's not really a very good argument.

Sure...Holt and Bryant are 18/19 year old college students who got caught red handed by the police with a bottle of vodka.

The last thing they should do is to pretend to be "crusaders for legal justice".

They need to apologize profusely to their teammates, family, fans, and fellow students, and get to work on their assigned college course load.

Sure...Holt and Bryant are 18/19 year old college students who got caught red handed by the police with a bottle of vodka.

The last thing they should do is to pretend to be "crusaders for legal justice".

They need to apologize profusely to their teammates, family, fans, and fellow students, and get to work on their assigned college course load.

Nope.

They should exercise their constitutional rights and prove their innocence.

They are innocent until proven guilty.

You have already convicted them.

I would not want you working on a legal matter of any importance to me.  I would go to you for help, and you would tell me I'm guilty, and that I should apologize.

And then on top of that, how much would you charge me for that service?

Too many random idiots in B'Town calling for their heads to just leave this alone.

Gotta fight it.

And win.

I just unveiled the blueprint.

Nope.

They should exercise their constitutional rights and prove their innocence.

They are innocent until proven guilty.

You have already convicted them.

I would not want you working on a legal matter of any importance to me. I would go to you for help, and you would tell me I'm guilty, and that I should apologize.

And then on top of that, how much would you charge me for that service?

A bad lawyer only tells a client they are "innocent until proven guilty".

A good lawyer tells their client...

The truth.

A bad lawyer only tells a client they are "innocent until proven guilty".

A good lawyer tells their client...

The truth.

A bad lawyer makes a judgment without even having seen the evidence, a very bad lawyer.

And a mediocre lawyer goes down without putting up a fight, and just collects a paycheck.

I know a lot of lawyers like that.

Many, many lawyers, just like everybody else, want to do as little as possible, and still collect the full price charged for having actually done a good job.

A bad lawyer makes a judgment without even having seen the evidence, a very bad lawyer.

And a mediocre lawyer goes down without putting up a fight, and just collects a paycheck.

I know a lot of lawyers like that.

Many, many lawyers, just like everybody else, want to do as little as possible, and still collect the full price charged for having actually done a good job.

My IU law degree educated me that the proper way to represent someone is to look out for the client's best interests. That may include fighting a charge, and it may include apologizing for a relatively minor legal indiscretion and moving on with your life. Especially when you got caught red handed committing that relatively minor legal indiscretion.

My IU law degree educated me that the proper way to represent someone is to look out for the clients best interests. That may include fighting a charge, and it may include apologizing for a relatively minor legal indiscretion and moving on with your life. Especially when you got caught red handed committing that relatively minor legal indiscretion.

But they did not tell you to make a judgment without even having seen the evidence, now did they.

Nope. They did not. However, I'm not representing these two. I'm just a message board poster about these two!

Please don't take this personally.

I am beginning to question whether you even have a law degree.

Evidence is a 1L course.  And you don't really follow the rules of evidence in your conversation style.

You don't talk like a lawyer.

Please don't take this personally.

I am beginning to question whether you even have a law degree.

Evidence is a 1L course. And you don't really follow the rules of evidence in your conversation style.

You don't talk like a lawyer.

Lol.

"Don't take it personally, but you're a liar or didn't learn a thing at law school."