Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

swatford

Thomas Bryant and Emmitt Holt cited for illegal alcohol posession

Have you ever, in your entire life, had one single beer and driven your car?

In all honesty, no. I haven't had any alcohol in over 25 years... and I only drank at home when I did drink. I doubt you will believe me, but it's the truth.

But this is not about me. It's about an 18 (at the time) year old, on scholarship to play college basketball, who had been exposed to the dangers and trappings of these events in the recent history of his (then) current basketball team. And the event in question happened MERE HOURS after being lectured/warned/told about the every situation in which he placed himself.

Call it stupid. Call it selfish. Call it poor judgment. Just don't try to whitewash it as "kids being kids". And dammit, find a way to fix it.

My opinion would be different if this wasn't part of a trend. If this is one incident, I'd call it stupid and that's it, because it is, suspend them a game or two and move on. This isn't a solitary incident though, it's part of an alarming pattern that says there is no leadership or accountability in this program. It's another symptom of a much bigger problem. The current system for punishment obviously isn't working.

Fair or not these players are held to a higher standard. Like if or not that's how it should be because their actions don't just reflect on themselves; they reflect on this program and the university itself.

In a vacuum this is barely a blip on the radar. But the recent past is a harsh reality and these guys have been given warnings based on that past. I don't know if booting him is the best response, but I was just saying I wouldn't be outraged if it were to happen.

I hear you. I definitely can respect that position. It's obvious that there is a pattern developing. These things are impossible to ignore. I suppose that I just can't bring myself to even hold Holt at fault for the first incident. I think people are being extremely irrational, selfish (in their own right), and hypocritical. If a guy had a single beer, it's a single beer. It in no way influenced/impaired his actions. Devin Davis, while drunk, did something so incredibly dumb, that he put a few innocent people in a horrible position. Now I hear that Holt never had a sip and was around it, and it drives me insane that people still want him kicked off. I truly feel that deep down this just comes from some people's bloodthirst for CTC. They aren't willing at all to hear all of the facts surrounding the event. It has nothing to do with fair justice/punishment for these young men. It's more of an opportunity for some to exploit the smallest miscues of the team, in the name of cranking back up the #FireTomCrean machine. Kicking Holt off of the team is a huge mistake on our part. I think it contributes as a deterrent towards the possibility of a desirable coach taking the job, in the future. It has to make recruits wonder whether they want to come here. I wouldn't want to come to a school where I was under the strongest of microscopes. A microscope that doesn't always see things so clearly. No jersey is worth that to me, honestly. And I love IU basketball to death.

I'm in the minority that thinks kicking anyone off the team for this would be an overreaction. I don't like what happened, and Holt especially is disappointing. But, I think this is a "we'll handle internally" situation. The internal handling should be fierce though and make more than just Bryant and Holt puke on the track.

who on this team is going to intimidate these two? I remember being a freshmen/sophomore and knowing that if I f'd up I was going to get it from the upper classmen. Who is that here?

who on this team is going to intimidate these two? I remember being a freshmen/sophomore and knowing that if I f'd up I was going to get it from the upper classmen. Who is that here?

Ding, ding, ding!  Since the Hulls, Watford, and Elston class left we've had upperclassmen who don't care or upperclassmen who won't do a damn thing.  Didn't the story go Sheehey was laughing inside Sports when Robinson and Yogi got busted outside?  I guess when your "leader" has been busted he doesn't have much pull to straighten others up.  I feel bad for the players who actually do the right thing or don't get caught like Hartman, JBJ, RoJo, Zeisloft, MSB (not that he could be caught), and... is that all?

Yes because almost everyone on the team parties. And that's a fact.

Ding, ding, ding! Since the Hulls, Watford, and Elston class left we've had upperclassmen who don't care or upperclassmen who won't do a damn thing. Didn't the story go Sheehey was laughing inside Sports when Robinson and Yogi got busted outside? I guess when your "leader" has been busted he doesn't have much pull to straighten others up. I feel bad for the players who actually do the right thing or don't get caught like Hartman, JBJ, RoJo, Zeisloft, MSB (not that he could be caught), and... is that all?

I wouldn't say the right thing but they do not get caught. It's just the reality anymore that everyone is going to party. It's gonna happen and it's a risk They are willing to take

This is me admittedly stretching things and moving into speculation, but there were two people cited and three others in the car. One could assume those other three weren't cited because they weren't minors. Anyone completely convinced that there were only two IU basketball players in that car?

Here's my take: up to this point I'd said a lot of the same things I'm reading in this thread (knucklehead stuff, Crean needs to get control, no leadership, if you're gonna drink do it smart, don't s*** where you eat, etc, etc). But at this point, I feel like something - and I don't know what it is - but something else is going on. IU has 15-20 players at any given time. That constitutes what percentage of all the D1 men's basketball players in the NCAA, and yet we seem to account for 100% of the publicized arrests. And you KNOW good and well that kids are partying at other schools too. I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but at this point it's honestly starting to look like our players are being targeted. I don't mean "the cops are Purdue fans" either, I mean something broader. Again, I have no idea what or why this would be, but it's starting to get beyond just a "pattern."