Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

swatford

Thomas Bryant and Emmitt Holt cited for illegal alcohol posession

I'm also positive that is wasn't just them drinking that day. Probably the whole team except MSB. I don't know how in the world, out of thousands of students, these two managed to stand above the rest and get caught.

I'm also positive that is wasn't just them drinking that day. Probably the whole team except MSB. I don't know how in the world, out of thousands of students, these two managed to stand above the rest and get caught.

... Really? They literally stand above the rest.

I'm in the minority that thinks kicking anyone off the team for this would be an overreaction. I don't like what happened, and Holt especially is disappointing. But, I think this is a "we'll handle internally" situation. The internal handling should be fierce though and make more than just Bryant and Holt puke on the track.

My problem with handling it in house is that there has been a zero tolerance policy set. Also this contributes a lot more bad PR for the school. 

I don't like this at all BUT it seems like our campus police are a bunch of Purdue fans that want nothing more than to make a name for themselves. If I was a want-to- be cop at IU, I would be like guys you know better than this, now get the heck out of here before I call your coach. Anyway,I think Holt should be punished more than Bryant but I don't feel this is a kick off the team situation with the facts that have been released. HOWEVER, These are some bone head moves for sure.

Holt was under age, he was drinking alcohol and he was driving a car. Regardless of whether he hit Davis or Davis jump in front of (or on, depending on the version you read) the car, Holt was definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time. Guilty of horrible judgment at best, and potentially even worse. Of course the de facto leader (Yogi) had earlier in the year been busted for illegal consumption, along with Stan - trying to get into a bar with fake ID ... so leading by example? Mission accomplished.

Have you ever, in your entire life, had one single beer and driven your car?

i don't think you're getting what I'm saying. If you'd like a pm, more than welcome to do that for you

I would love the PM, because I know 100% what happened, and I can't wait to see what else is out there.  Holt absolutely hit Davis with a car.  There's more to the story, but that's absolutely what happened.  I'd love to see what you're selling if you disagree with that.

I'd need to know more about the zero tolerance policy. I remember it being mentioned last fall after the Davis incident and Williams/Robinson suspensions. But, was that an indefinite zero tolerance policy? Was it just in effect until the end of last season? I can't imagine there is an indefinite zero tolerance policy? If there was, then you need to kick Bryant out of school too, which would be an extreme overreaction.

My problem with handling it in house is that there has been a zero tolerance policy set. Also this contributes a lot more bad PR for the school.

This is very naïve. By itself u have a point, but with IUs recent controversies, you would think they would care enough to not cause more trouble for their coach.
I don't think anything or should happen as well, but don't make it sound so simplistic .

People are selfish and immature. I hope our coaches can help teach these players to learn how to act unselfishly and learn accountability and maturity. I fully expect this behavior from 18-20 year olds. Hopefully they have people around them helping them learn from their mistakes, but they won't learn if you turn your back on them (kick them off the team/write them off as bad apples).

I would love the PM, because I know 100% what happened, and I can't wait to see what else is out there. Holt absolutely hit Davis with a car. There's more to the story, but that's absolutely what happened. I'd love to see what you're selling if you disagree with that.

I'd be interested in a PM to compare the accounts.

My take: This was a minor event and can't really fault the boys for this. However, like most, we as fans are fed up with iubb being in trouble for behavior involving police. College kids get in trouble for this stuff all the time, but it is getting very old with this team constantly getting in trouble. Now that it's becoming a pattern, IU fans have a reason to be worried about leadership and lack of internal control. Enough is enough, regardless of how small it is.

Ditto. I'm less concerned about 18-20 year olds making dumb mistakes than I am the pattern of individuals making these mistakes under current leadership.

I'm in the minority that thinks kicking anyone off the team for this would be an overreaction. I don't like what happened, and Holt especially is disappointing. But, I think this is a "we'll handle internally" situation. The internal handling should be fierce though and make more than just Bryant and Holt puke on the track.

I think we're beyond blaming kids.  This is now something above their pay grade (may not be true at other schools, but here.......).    We are now to "pattern" stage and judging "institutional control."    If this were an isolated incident, no big deal.   If this were the second minor drinking incident....no big deal.   But....it's not.   It's neither isolated nor the second minor offense.   We've had DUI's.  We've had public intoxication.  We've had fake ID's.  We had a near death.   On and on and on.   It's clear to me these kids have no respect for their university, their scholarship, or their coach.  Or...they're all dummies.   Either way.....we're beyond "kids will be kids."   Of course they will.  No argument with that, and I don't judge kids if they drink beer at 19.  Good Lord...how hypocritical.   BUT...when you're a basketball player at Indiana, you're in a fishbowl and there are different expectations on you, fair or not.   And it's up to the coach to develop and maintain that culture.  That's clearly not happening, and Crean is a dead man walking.

Who would want to come play at a school that has players that let down their teammates every year? This team doesn't care about each other or they would take care of their business and look out for the others. Kick Holt off and put Bryant on an 11:00 curfew. No exceptions unless you are in the library or with a coach.

I am done with two-time losers. Time to step up Mr. Morgan!

I completely agree with you. I have feelings on this well beyond what I posted, and they're more aligned with your post below, but I also don't think kicking Holt or Bryant off the team for this offense is warranted.

From the outside, it appears this program has a huge problem with lack of respect for the coaching staff. I know you played college sports, and I did as well. I'm sure like me, you did my fair share of drinking. But out of respect for myself, my teammates, my coaches and the university, I took steps to keep myself out of trouble. I curtailed my drinking during the season. I didn't go to bars or big house parties during the season. I mostly kept to drinking with people I knew and at places where I knew the people (ie. close friends places) even in the offseason. I made sure I was smart about it, because I didn't want to embarrass myself, my coaches or team. That's lacking from this program for some reason.

Many of the things that these guys are getting busted for seem just flat studpid, and to me it shows they don't respect the staff. I agree something is wrong here.

I think we're beyond blaming kids.  This is now something above their pay grade (may not be true at other schools, but here.......).    We are now to "pattern" stage and judging "institutional control."    If this were an isolated incident, no big deal.   If this were the second minor drinking incident....no big deal.   But....it's not.   It's neither isolated nor the second minor offense.   We've had DUI's.  We've had public intoxication.  We've had fake ID's.  We had a near death.   On and on and on.   It's clear to me these kids have no respect for their university, their scholarship, or their coach.  Or...they're all dummies.   Either way.....we're beyond "kids will be kids."   Of course they will.  No argument with that, and I don't judge kids if they drink beer at 19.  Good Lord...how hypocritical.   BUT...when you're a basketball player at Indiana, you're in a fishbowl and there are different expectations on you, fair or not.   And it's up to the coach to develop and maintain that culture.  That's clearly not happening, and Crean is a dead man walking.