Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

swatford

Thomas Bryant and Emmitt Holt cited for illegal alcohol posession

It was a slap on the wrist or have two cops get extra duty because of my actions. I couldn't justify me screwing up for them to work extra hours. Both parties learned from the situation. They followed procedures closer to the regs and I stopped drinking where I could be caught.

In this instance, Yogi, Hartman, Zeisloft, and the other older guys need to lookout for the younger players and "show them the ropes." Although, I'm not sure they know the ropes.

I agree Hoosier they should but to this point I'll just say the players have their own style and technique on leadership.  Better to say that than just plain absence of same I guess.   Hire Quinn Buckner or countless others to do a leadership academy every year.

All you people who want to kick these two off the team will be the same ones complaining in March that we aren't any good and don't have a post presence.

These are two completely different things. Initially I said that they should go, along with the coach. Not sure I've completely backed away from that position, and I do see the other side of the argument. However I am deeply concerned about the lack of control within the program and the seemingly continuous stream of these events. Holt should definitely know better. And while I DO believe that this underage drinking thing it a serious problem and should not be happening, I am also not naive enough to believe that it isn't a widespread activity on college campuses these days. It doesn't excuse Holt and Bryant for the offense. Whether one thinks it's a bad, outdated or irrelevant law is also immaterial. At the time the offense occurred, it was a law on the books in Blsoomington, Indiana.

But to say those who want either or both player kicked off the team will be complaining about how good/not good the team is in March is missing the point. To remove players because of violation of the law of the land and /or team rules will most definitely affect how good team is, especially given the talent of Holt and Bryant. But either Crean, Glass et al are serious about cleaning this crap up or they aren't. To look the other way and mete this Nth occurrence of this scenario with a slap on the wrist does nothing but wink at the offense, and guarantees that it will be repeated again and again.

Disagree. Lack of institutional control relies heavily on how an athletic department responds to NCAA violations and violations to their own policies. Based on some limited research, it appears that underage consumption and possession of alcohol is prohibited at the university level, and not addressed by the NCAA. Lack of institutional control would mean that we directly contradict our accepted policies regarding how we handle these types of situations, and a repeated basis.

Also, if you look at other lack of institutional control cases, there's a much greater history of non-compliance with NCAA rules and school policies, usually coupled with attempts to cover up various violations from both school and NCAA officials.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/fightingillini.com/documents/2015/3/24/institutional-control.pdf

This is no where close to demonstrative of a lack of institutional control. This is just concerning that our players continue to get into trouble for the same issue.

Ok, let me rephrase my statement. I was not referring to the "Lack of institutional Control" charge levied by the NCAA for recruiting violations, etc. But clearly the institution (Indiana University) appears to have no control over the athletes to whom it is providing a free education in exchange for their athletic prowess.

I did not mean to imply that the NCAA, as a governing body, has any involvement, responsibility or part in the disposition of the matter.

I don't think you understand what lack of institutional control means in the NCAA's eyes. If IU was going out of its way to sweep these transgressions with players under the rug that would be lack of institutional control.

Again, sorry for the misuse of the phrase. What I was trying to communicate is that the situation at the institution (Indiana University) is out of control, and the governing powers appear to be able to get these kids under control.

I get it - words mean things. Sorry for any confusion.

Ok, let me rephrase my statement. I was not referring to the "Lack of institutional Control" charge levied by the NCAA for recruiting violations, etc.

I did not mean to imply that the NCAA, as a governing body, has any involvement, responsibility or part in the disposition of the matter.

You can't walk back the cat on this one. When you use the phrase "textbook case," in regard to a subject, you're referencing a factual situation used by people studying that subject.

All you people who want to kick these two off the team will be the same ones complaining in March that we aren't any good and don't have a post presence.

Okay.....? So they should get away with it because they are our low post presence.

People are saying that a statement needs to be made that this type of behavior isn't going to be tolerated. Some of you guys seem like you could careless, or this is an isolated incident, it isn't

Okay.....? So they should get away with it because they are our low post presence.

People are saying that a statement needs to be made that this type of behavior isn't going to be tolerated. Some of you guys seem like you could careless, or this is an isolated incident, it isn't

This. This incident may be minor on it's own, and it is, but it's not in a vacuum. It's the latest in a line of incidents and something needs to be done.

So what.

I'm not misreading the fanbase.  I think much of the fanbase is a mass of squawking idiots, especially the usual message board fan.

Look around and tell me what you see.

If there is one way to endear yourself to other people it is to call them a mass of squawking idiots

If there is one way to endear yourself to other people it is to call them a mass of squawking idiots

I think you misunderstand me if you think I am trying to endear myself to the squawking contingent of the fanbase.

The uptight squawkers in our midst have annoyed me for many years.

To the people blaming the cops in Bloomington... Just stop it. The last thing we need is a cover-up culture like FSU and Happy Valley.

Every student knows when the excise cops will be out in force. Don't put yourself in that position. The basketball players at IU have enough jersey chasers (male and female) to bring them anything they need.

I think the blaming of cops was meant to be a joke. Atleast I hope it was.

I am not sure it was. The poster went off on a litany of charges regarding past arrests, racial profiling, etc. Either he was dead serious or he was posting to get a reaction ("trolling"). Take your pick.

Is there a limit on posts on a single topic? If not there should be. How many ways can we dissect this particular.....wait, what were we talking about?

I thought we were talking about PMs  or did I miss something?

I've been rather quiet on this one so far, so here is my opinion. Not into starting arguments with anybody and actually I probably won't respond if you tried.

My thoughts are we don't know the whole story. Seems funny I haven't seen anywhere that they tested positive for blood alcohol. NO WHERE! hmmm...So they must not have been drinking. Lets not hang anybody out to dry when we don't know the whole story. I'm not! And yes, kids will be kids. Thats a FACT!

I got Chill Pills for all !

Carry on!

They weren't arrested for drinking it, they were cited for being in possession of it. Still illegal. No blood test required. However, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, exactly what do you think they were going to do with the alcohol they were already illegally possessing? Do you think the excise police should have just tailed them for a few hours and waited to see if they decided to drink the alcohol before citing them?

PM? Really? Maybe if you need to relay info about someone else privately instead of publicly that maybe it should not be said at all? Seems more immature than these two charged with possession. I know it's just my opinion. Just seems dumb.