Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HereWeGoAgain

Best atmospheres at an IU Football game

I'm dating myself, but nothing can compare in my history to the 1987 game against Michigan in Memorial Stadium. The weather, Bo Schembechler, Bo's post-game quote, the losing streak...nothing comes even close for me. I was at Purdue game for Starr's FG and even that wasn't anywhere near what I felt in '87. That was a game to honor Hep and get to a lower tier bowl game. In 1987, it was about competing for a Big Ten title and being a legitimate top-15 team.

Anyone else have one that stands out?

I'm dating myself, but nothing can compare in my history to the 1987 game against Michigan in Memorial Stadium. The weather, Bo Schembechler, Bo's post-game quote, the losing streak...nothing comes even close for me. I was at Purdue game for Starr's FG and even that wasn't anywhere near what I felt in '87. That was a game to honor Hep and get to a lower tier bowl game. In 1987, it was about competing for a Big Ten title and being a legitimate top-15 team.

Anyone else have one that stands out?

Anthony Thompson baby. Didnt we beat Ohio St. that year? Yea, I was a fan of IU football in those years up through the Alex Smith years(local product).

November 1997. Memorial Stadium, Bloomington. Illinois comes to town winless in the BigTen and IU was also looking for their and Cam Cameron's first conference victory. Long story short IU pulls out a stellar 20 something to 6/7 victory. Students storm the field and my buddies hoist me up to the goal post. We party like it's 1967!!!!

I'm a little younger but beating Purdue to go to the insight bowl in 07 was just outstanding. People jumping all over each other and the way it happens stands out to me. Now if I'm including awayyyyy games some friends and I ventured over to mizzou last year on a whim, got tickets in the Missouri section and got to enjoy that beaut. Seeing the team celebrate and come to the iu fans corner (which we made our way over to) and sing the fight song was so cool.

Sitting high in the stands on the alumni side with my uncle at the 1967 Iowa game.  Early in the game John Isenbarger ran a called fake punt.  He tried it later in the game his own and got clobbered giving Iowa great field position.  The next time a punt was the obvious choice, the fans cheered, "Punt, John, punt."  He did and the Hoosiers rallied to win and remain in the hunt for their only Rose Bowl berth.

Sitting high in the stands on the alumni side with my uncle at the 1967 Iowa game.  Early in the game John Isenbarger ran a called fake punt.  He tried it later in the game his own and got clobbered giving Iowa great field position.  The next time a punt was the obvious choice, the fans cheered, "Punt, John, punt."  He did and the Hoosiers rallied to win and remain in the hunt for their only Rose Bowl berth.

Yep, I remember it well.   Also the season ender against PUke when Terry Cole ripped the 62 yard run right of the middle for the touchdown and secured our Rose Bowl berth.  Pretty easy to pick out the old guys on this forum isn't it?  :D

I've been too a lot of games where we lost.. obviously lol. I went to the Michigan State game when Blake Powers started to take over. Went the the Illinois game Tracy Porters Senior year. Went to the Bowling Green game a couple years ago when we whooped em. Went to the Navy game.. went to the Minnesota game... surprisingly the best atmosphere was the Minnesota game even though we lost. Coming back at the end had the crowd going and helped me not freeze to death because I was jumping around. Ready to go to a couple games this year. I actually had a chance to go to the Mizzou game last year with a Mizzou fan I know. Wish I would have.

October 3, 2015. 4-0 OSU came to town to take on the 4-0 Hoosiers. 56,000 packed in to see Sudfeld throw for 385 and 4 TD's, including the game winner as time expired to topple the Buckeyes and effectively ruin their playoff hopes. Hoosiers; students, fans, and alumni all rushed the field sparking the biggest party BTown had seen since 1987.

Better have some backup couches.

I was a sophomore and at the game against Wisconsin in 2012. If you recall, IU was in a position to actually make a run at the division title with a win. In my four years that was easily the most anticipated game and excited crowd. And then we got STOMPED on by the Wisco rush attack. Over 600 rush yards if I recall. That one stung, but wow was that first 5 minutes a buzz.

I was sitting in the rain that day in November 1987.  Best part of the day, the wind had been blowing one direction all day, at a pretty good pace, 10 - 15 mph.  Just as the teams switched ends for the fourth quarter the wind seemed to change directions. Bo had chosen to take the wind in the 4th quarter and suddenly he was facing the wind again. Maybe some divine intervention?

It was a cold, wet & dreary day, but nothing but warm & sunny for IU fans.

At the end of the 87 season, the Hoosiers played in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta. Our opponent was Tennessee. The atmosphere and the game was outstanding. Despite being outnumbered by fans in orange by a 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 margin, Hoosier fans were into the game. It was exciting and was decided by Tennessee's last possession. 

Tim Jorden scored a TD for IU on a fake field goal to take a 22 - 21 lead with about 4 minutes remaining. Reggie Cobb scored the game winner with less than 2 minutes to go.

Despite being overwhelmed by hearing Rocky Top way too many times that day, the 5K or 6K Hoosier fans that were there that day went away proud of the Hoosiers.

I went to every home football game in my four years at IU, but the only memorable atmosphere that still stands out for me was the IU/Purdue game in 2007. The "Play 13 Game" as others have mentioned. Game winning field goal to take the Bucket and go to a Bowl game, made all the better that one of my best friends from high school (a PURDOUCHE) was visiting and at the game with us dressed in all black and gold. 

EDIT: 2006 vs Iowa was wild too, because we left the game early (like seemingly every other student) to go back to drink at Briscoe and ended up running back to the stadium in the second half. Lol whoops.