Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
brtjohns

Indiana Men’s Soccer: 2015 Season Preview

I'm excited to see what Wedderburn can do. I spoke with a player currently on the team about a month ago who said he hadn't seen him play and didn't know anything about him until the press release from the team itself. TT can pull the strings from midfield and it will be nice to have an experienced finisher in Maurey up top. For this team to improve Femi will need to become better in front of goal and they'll need a bit of scoring from the bench in Thomas and Sparks. Lillard will likely be the best player on the pitch in the majority of games.

i concur with all of that, burch, and i'm really excited to see what buckmaster can do.  he was recently in the US u17 picture and ranking sites put him on top of IU's class (excluding wedderburn).  i've read that west brom wanted to extend wedderburn -- who's played for the club since he was 12 -- and some other english clubs were interested in him.  his interest in IU began when another youth player in england suggested IU's program.  that says something about the program's clout.  imagine a highly convincing sell was needed to bring him across the pond.  maybe he's genuinely interested in a few years' worth of college education.  hope so, because it sounds like yeagley got a hell of a player.

Can anyone give me some info on this Wedderburn kid? I'm kind of confused on the logistics of how he was able to come from the West Brom system to play in the NCAA.

A) Why not stay overseas in a big time development system?

B ) How does the amateurism side of that work? I'm under the impression that even youth academy players are paid.

C) I'm assuming he's pretty good. But how good?

surely if west brom was paying him then he wouldnt be ncaa eligible.  from what i understand (or tried to understand as i read this), playing in an academy is similar to being a collegiate student-athlete, except there arent really classes, just training in soccer and social skills, nutrition, exercise, basically how to be a pro soccer player on and off the field.  thats the form of compensation which leads to a professional contract.  it seems the term 'contract' in regard to academies means, after being accepted/invited, enrolling in their program for x years and establishing player rights, legality stuff.  wedderburn's contract with west brom expired june 30.  so like i said above, a college education must've been enticing for him to leave all of that and what he's used to.

if the players simply shook off some rust and elevated their 'game shape' yesterday night, it was productive.  the only exhibition worth taking seriously, though not fully so like an official match, is marquette.