Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

Analysis: The hunt for a 4-0 start

The OOC gMe that scares me the most is Western Kentucky. They might throw for 600 yards if we're not careful. We can't let our guard down against them. I would to see a 4-0 start going into the tOSU game. I think it'd mean something big for Indiana football. And all of these games are more than winnable. We should be favored in all 4. Who knows when the last time we were favored in 4 straight games.

I enjoy the optimism. I really do. But my point of reference is 17 prior years covering Indiana football, and as we all know the Hoosiers have only played two games beyond Dec. 1 in all of that time.

You do know what the two games are, right?

The OOC gMe that scares me the most is Western Kentucky. They might throw for 600 yards if we're not careful. We can't let our guard down against them. I would to see a 4-0 start going into the tOSU game. I think it'd mean something big for Indiana football. And all of these games are more than winnable. We should be favored in all 4. Who knows when the last time we were favored in 4 straight games.

A 4-0 start would be amazing and it would turn a few heads around the Big Ten. A 5-0 start might get the Hoosiers ranked (but I'm not going down that dream path just yet).

In three of Bill Lynch's four years the Hoosiers opened the season at 3-0 and provided a little hype. In all three of those years, though, IU then moved into Big Ten play, twice losing to Michigan and once to Illinois.

The last 4-0 start for IU football? You have to go all the way back to 1990 and that Peach Bowl team that lost a tough one to Auburn.

If it seems like that was forever ago, that's because it was.

I enjoy the optimism. I really do. But my point of reference is 17 prior years covering Indiana football, and as we all know the Hoosiers have only played two games beyond Dec. 1 in all of that time.

You do know what the two games are, right?

2007 Insight Bowl beaten by OK St. 49-33 at Tempe, AZ on 12/31/07.  The other is probably an Oaken Bucket game that by a quirk of the calendar fell in December.  The latter game is a guess.

2007 Insight Bowl beaten by OK St. 49-33 at Tempe, AZ on 12/31/07.  The other is probably an Oaken Bucket game that by a quirk of the calendar fell in December.  The latter game is a guess.

You obviously have the first one right but the second one is one of my favorite IU football trivia questions because few people remember it right away.

The answer was 2001 when the IU-Kentucky game was postponed because of 9/11 and eventually played after the Bucket game in early December. It was also a noteworthy game because it would be Cam Cameron's final game as the IU coach. Another thing that happened that night was IU lost in basketball at Southern Illinois. Southern Illinois did end up going deep in the NCAA Tournament but that would be the IU team that went to the national title game against Maryland.

Lots of fun facts there. I feel like Donald Davidson sometimes.