Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2016) SF Mario Kegler to Miss State

With Stevens and probably Bridges out of the picture we really need to focus here. I'm concerned with LSU as they have recruited really well recently.

Edit. And Maryland in there as well.

It sounds like we're pushing pretty hard for Mario right now.

I have a feeling that Maryland is going to get this guy. Big Ten is pulling hard on the recruiting trail. What is going on with us?

To me it's simple. We underachieve when we have talent, off the court issues, I think everyone knows that Crean is on a likely hot seat. Why commit to that situation if you are looking at becoming a pro.

Then again we could land a stud, have a great year and all is looking up?

From Zag's blog on Mario's weekend visit to ASU...

As for Kegler’s upside, Oak Hill coach Steve Smith said: “Big strong kid, almost 6-7. Working with him on his body. He’s about 235, he needs to be 220-225. He’s more of a wing guard.

“Great shooter, 3- point range, good off the bounce. Very good in the pick and roll. Gets to the basket ball well. Can rebound his position and he’s a high, high level player.”

I'm all in with Kegler. Bridges is the obvious #1 option but Kegler is a stud. I think we often get mesmerized by a players next level athleticism and overlook their ability to put the ball in the hole. Bridges has some serious offensive limitations. IMO Bridges is at a very similar stage in his offensive development as Troy Williams his freshman year. Don't get me wrong, Bridges body and defensive ability is further along but he needs work when it comes to scoring the ball from anywhere other than the paint. Kegler on the other hand is an extremely skilled forward who can score on anyone in the country. Getting him is a huge get. Bridges is gone after his frosh season barring stalled development. I don't see that happening either. Kegler is going to be around for 3-4 years. Someone made the mention that Kegler reminded them of CWat. I'm not sure I agree but I see where it comes from. Kegler is quicker laterally and can score effortlessly off the bounce. He's also slightly a better athlete than CWat. CWat always seemed to have concrete in his shoes. Kegler isn't a world class jumper by any means but it looks easier for him than it did for CWat.

I don't think you're giving Bridges enough credit here. Bridges is an elite basketball player at his age, imo, while Troy Williams was/is an elite athlete. 

Kegler looks to be leaning some other directions, but great news on the visit. That could change things, obviously. Made it through the ASU visit without a commitment, still have that UM one to worry about. A lot of time between now and 10/23.

Kegler is, in my eyes, the most underrated player in the class. There isn't a guy in this 2016 class that can stop him from getting 20-30 on any given night. His offensive polish is pro level right now. One more thing that I dont think anyone is talking about right now is "fit". Tom Crean teams really depend on guys who can score the ball from the perimeter. Kegler fits this mold to a T, while Bridges will have to develop into that role and frankly, we dont have the luxury of waiting around with Bridges. Like I said earlier, he's likely gone after his frosh year. 

IU is applying the full court press with Kegler at this point. I believe Crean and Co. have come to the realization of just how well Kegler does fit. I read an article not long ago that mentioned how hard Ben Howland was pressing for a commitment from Kegler on an unofficial. Kegler refused to give that commitment and one of his reasons was that he still wanted to "see IU". Contrary to popular belief (or the 247 crystal ball) I think Kegler is ours to lose. I think his interest in IU is much higher than public opinion would suggest. Him resisting high pressure situations from Howland and Hurley,  combined with the scheduling of his visit during HH all but confirms this to me personally. Just a strong hunch.

ThanksTrav; a super-optimistic post on Kegler on all fronts.

A question:

All I've seen with Kegler is on video; have you made this assessment from seeing him in person?

If so...Wow!