Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

Analysis: Is Kevin Wilson on the hot seat?

You guys need to come live in Wisconsin like me.  Since the mid 90's  I always had to hear about how much better UW was in Football.   Now I have to hear it about Basketball, too...   :)

I still remember that day in Madison where Antwaan Randle El and Levron Williams put up more than 30 points against the Badgers in the first quarter. Not that it means anything but sometimes you cling to certain memories.

No extension for Wilson until he's down to one year left and that is only with a bowl game the next 2 years.

If he goes to a bowl game and then we just regress back I will have to just say the bowl was a fluke

So essentially we take a chickenshit approach, hamstringing him in recruiting, so that even if he gets it done the next two years, we've kicked the wheels out from under him for several more years. Now there is a wonderful plan. There will always be unknowns in this, if we have continued improvement, I think we have to make the extension decision quicker than that. 

So essentially we take a chickens--- approach, hamstringing him in recruiting, so that even if he gets it done the next two years, we've kicked the wheels out from under him for several more years. Now there is a wonderful plan. There will always be unknowns in this, if we have continued improvement, I think we have to make the extension decision quicker than that. 

Agreed, you can't have a lame duck coach. That's why buyouts are minimal at best in the last 2-3 years of a long term contract.

If he makes a bowl and we don't extend he will leave. No coach can't be expected to recruit at a high level bring in a lame duck status.

If he gets to a bowl and you believe he is the guy, then you extend. If not move on. You can't just let the contract run out.

He's not going to leave with 2 years left. Just because we go to a bowl doesn't mean people are going to be jumping to give him better offers. He'd have to go 7-5 for a decade to hit .500

That's the problem, no one wants to play for Indiana because they don't win. It's a cycle of losing.

Except that, you know, we have grabbed a bunch of 3 and 4 stars the last few years, finished in the Top 40-50 nationally up around teams like Mizzou and Baylor, and finished in the top half of the B1G. People seem to be ignoring this for some reason, deferring back to the WOE IS ME crap because our class has started out slow (as it does annually). We've finally put some momentum together...it's time to win.

He's not going to leave with 2 years left. Just because we go to a bowl doesn't mean people are going to be jumping to give him better offers. He'd have to go 7-5 for a decade to hit .500

It has more to do with recruiting and perception than anything. Continue to build off improvement.

No one would care about his overall record. If he takes us to 7-8 wins, it would get a lot of attention. This is looked at as an impossible job. Wilson is pretty well respected.

No one would care about his overall record. If he takes us to 7-8 wins, it would get a lot of attention. This is looked at as an impossible job. Wilson is pretty well respected.

Anybody can have a good year I'm sorry his track record of failure more that outweighs a potential single season mediocre. I still seriously doubt we even get that

Anybody can have a good year I'm sorry his track record of failure more that outweighs a potential single season mediocre. I still seriously doubt we even get that

Anybody can have a good year? Maybe in some other places but not at Indiana. I don't understand why some people are so down on Coach Wilson; he had to start from zero after inheriting a program with no talent, no pride, and no desire to win from Lynch. How many players left the program after he came in? I think it was in the double digits. I assume that's what would happen if all of the sudden we got rid of Wilson and brought in another coach. It would be like starting all over again, although with better talent to work with.

It takes time to build a consistent program and no one can deny that unlike the Lynch era, the program has been moving in the right direction under Wilson. It took Cutcliffe 5 seasons to get to a bowl game at Duke. He was 15-33 through his first four seasons at Duke, which is fairly similar to Wilson's 14-34. This is the year to start winning some of those close games though and get over that hump. Let's Dig In!!! lol

So under Lynch who went 5-7 his 4th year. Wilson has the program moving in the right direction.

And I might buy the lack of talent argument if he had presided over the worst defense in big ten history his first year but not his 3rd year.

Now if he does make a bowl I am not saying fire him. But it would be dumb to extend him because of one good season *cough* crean *cough*. He's still have 2 years left see if he can sustain the momentum before extending him.

So under Lynch who went 5-7 his 4th year. Wilson has the program moving in the right direction.

And I might buy the lack of talent argument if he had presided over the worst defense in big ten history his first year but not his 3rd year.

Now if he does make a bowl I am not saying fire him. But it would be dumb to extend him because of one good season *cough* crean *cough*. He's still have 2 years left see if he can sustain the momentum before extending him.

I really believe unless this team was absolutely awful that you wait and see the results this year and then you give him an extension. Like a lot of other people, I had my concerns about Wilson that first year. It seemed like a lot of people were leaving because they didn't like his system. But sometimes you have to do the weeding out process and I think he has a room full of kids who like the things he's doing. I think he has a good staff and a staff that the recent signing classes feel good about. Now IU just needs to catch a break or two. They need to make the one big fourth quarter stop that allows them to close out a game. They need to avoid the injury bug to key players. They need to have some success and build off of it. But if they do have success, even if it's one year, I think you give Wilson an extension. Because it is hard to recruit with just two years left on your contract and the university sitting there in wait-and-see mode.

Wilson is a good coach and will be successful when he moves on. I guess at some point you have to make the change. But, it is more about the program sucking as a whole than any one coach.

Not sure I buy that Hep built a team that probably would have gone 9-3 with him instead of lynch.

You never put your coach in lame duck status.  Extend or fire.  6-6 or better and I would think it will be the former.

Lame duck status for the coach is just handicapping him and delaying the inevitable firing that will happen with the reduced ability to recruit.

Not sure I buy that Hep built a team that probably would have gone 9-3 with him instead of lynch.

That's a terrible argument. If my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle. She doesn't. So who cares. Coulda, woulda, shoulda's are not sound basis for any argument.

That's a terrible argument. If my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle. She doesn't. So who cares. Coulda, woulda, shoulda's are not sound basis for any argument.

Ok how about Hep did build a team that went 7-5 in 3 years. So don't blame the program.

You never put your coach in lame duck status. Extend or file. 6-6 or better and I would think it will be the former.

Lame duck status for the coach is just handicapping him and delaying the inevitable firing that will happen with the reduced ability to recruit.

Guess I don't buy having 2 years left as lame duck