Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Austin Boucher

Austin is a great kid and what ever college he chooses( he is a top student and will have not only basketball offers, but also academic scholarships as well) is getting a class act! Austin has put up with jealousy and racism his whole life. He was always the youngest player on the court, diamond, track or field and he always dominated the competition. When he was in the 8th grade he won the conference in cross county and the kid that finished 2nd was 19 months older than him (by the way he also was a national champ in cross county). The kid is a great athlete and even better person, ask any kid or adult that knows him and the will tell you the same. We all know the saying the apple dose not fall far from the tree and his parents are good people also. Ask any teacher- great kid/student good parents. Austin was encouraged by college coaches to reclass and when he did he chose not to compete in sports at Bellmont because he didn't want to brake records or take away spots of other kids at the school. Other kids have been held back or reclassed and they continued to compete at the schools they were attending. The Blackmons have all been held back or reclassed and have been to many different schools, but no one talks negative about them! I detect a lot of jealousy in these blogs from adults that don't even know Austin or the Bouhers. They get second hand here say and exaggerations and try to ruin a young mans future that they don't even know, thats pretty sad!

Put up with racism...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As a white kid that played middle school and HS ball at a school 73% minority, I can understand it.

I had African American coaches at both schools. I was THE token white guy (only one on the team)

I was assumed to be less all the time, until I proved it. I had to prove it over and over. (Mostly from coach-the kids knew I had game)

Plus just like anything, take 11 kids that are the same and 1 different, the masses try to pick on the different one.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

On March 31, 2017 at 2:03 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Austin was the only white kid in the entire basketball program (freshmen, JV or Varsity). During a game three black fans came down out of the bleachers and made threats and racial comments towards Austin and his dad who was an assistant coach. There were also threats targeting him on Facebook by players on the team, their family members and their so called friends. One of the players on the team that tried to bully Austin brought a gun to practice, he was the grandson of one of the fans that came down to the bench during the game. For two years he put up with racist comments from the fans and even sometimes his black coaches. Racism is a two way street you don't have to be black to experience racism. South Side is the second most diverse ethnic school in the county where white kids are the minority. From what I have heard Austin really liked it there , and it was only a few that caused problems for him. The person that treated him the worst was his head coach (who was white) from what I heard was a lot like Bobby Knight and yelled at Austin constantly in practice and during   games. He just got fired because of the zoo of a program he was running. I believe they went from winning 16 games with Austin to only winning 4 this past year without him. The kid got screwed out of playing his junior season at North Side and possibly a state championship. Every since the 3rd grade he has been the best player in the Fort Wayne area ( black or white) in his class. He has had to prove it over and over again more so than his black team mates.We must be honest here, basketball is not color blind! If what happened to Austin at South Side would have happened to a black player at a predominly white school, it would of been a national news story!
Sent from my iPad using Brown Banners 

As a white kid that played middle school and HS ball at a school 73% minority, I can understand it.

I had African American coaches at both schools. I was THE token white guy (only one on the team)

I was assumed to be less all the time, until I proved it. I had to prove it over and over. (Mostly from coach-the kids knew I had game)

Plus just like anything, take 11 kids that are the same and 1 different, the masses try to pick on the different one.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Identical scenario here bro.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, barrettballer said:

Same here. Being the only black kid in my class at Martinsville, IN I put up with racism at times. I'm very interested to hear this...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:09 PM, Fkfootball1 said:

A white kid that has dealt with Racism? Really?

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

I know nothing about this kid's story, but at the risk of jumping off the tracks, are you two suggesting "Racism" is strictly a one-way street?

If so then I believe you have bought into an ideology rather than observed reality in the world at large. If not then,  what are you saying?  

My Podunk high school was like 99% white so I didn't have any experiences like that playing while I was growing up, but it definitely makes sense when it's explained like that. Some of the things runnin_on_empty described seem pretty extreme, like a player bringing a gun to practice to threaten him, but I wasn't there so idk. 

So my question is why did Austin go to South Side in the first place? None of you have to answer because I know for a fact what the answer is. Also I hope Archie doesn't go down this road. Austin is a good kid but his parents will probably want him to transfer if he isn't the PG his freshman year.

I know nothing about this kid's story, but at the risk of jumping off the tracks, are you two suggesting "Racism" is strictly a one-way street?

If so then I believe you have bought into an ideology rather than observed reality in the world at large. If not then,  what are you saying?  

No it's definitely a two way thing. I'd love to talk about it more but I feel as if I'd derail this thread. So I'm just saying I'm just interested to hear how a kid in a predominately white area is dealing with racism. Because it can't be the "token" white guy thing because he obviously has game. Merely just interested in this.

4 hours ago, barrettballer said:

No it's definitely a two way thing. I'd love to talk about it more but I feel as if I'd derail this thread. So I'm just saying I'm just interested to hear how a kid in a predominately white area is dealing with racism. Because it can't be the "token" white guy thing because he obviously has game. Merely just interested in this.

South side of Ft. Wayne is far from predominantly white. I'd say the opposite. If you take the suburbs into account then yes but not on the south side.