Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2016) SG Grant Gelon commits to IU

Statistically this is a Priller/April/Hoetzel type signing in August for 2016. Chew on that a bit.

Crean was "Intrigued" one month ago, now he is a Hoosier.

Astonishing.

How in the world do you know?   This comment is completely baseless.  April and Hoetzel are gone.  Priller is a kid Indiana should never have looked at, let alone signed.  He does not have a single Big Ten skill.   This kid has at least the ability to catch and shoot at the Big Ten level, and he understands how to play the game...you can learn that from the youtube clips.   If he stays 2 years and plays more than 34 seconds a game, he's far better than April.  If he scores 300 points in his career, he's 3x the player Hoetzel was, and I'll give you long odds on both, assuming he's not recruited over and actually shows up.   You're panicking, and you have no idea what this kid will or won't be.  Just because he's not a 5* kid who impresses you on paper means nothing, and I still fail to see the validity of recruiting your 5*'s, then your 4*'s, then your 3*'s and fill in's.  That's not how this game works.

i understand it just fine. High Major elite teams don't behave this way. Just another example proving we aren't an elite program anymore. Indiana should get the Kyle Guys of Indiana.

I don't have unfettered trust in Crean's recruiting like others do. He has been wrong as much or more than he has been right.

You mean teams other than, say, Wisconsin...who recruits like this every year and wins 80% of their games along with the Big Ten all the time?   

The order of kids' accepting scholarship offers is completely meaningless.   You're getting all worked up and fighting with anyone who disagrees with you based on nothing other than your opinion.  Take Kentucky out of the equation....and ALL teams "behave" in a manner than says "go get kids you think can help your program."   Some end up being wrong, but someone said other higher level schools were beginning to get involved with this kid, and Indiana was simply first on the "major school" list.  He accepted.  I think it's great.  If he's Matt Roth, he makes Indiana better.  If he's Leary, he makes Indiana better.  He's a 6'5" kid who understands the game and is a great shooter.  You really don't think other schools would start to come calling pretty soon?   If so, I think you're naive and you're definitely getting all excited over nothing.

You mean teams other than, say, Wisconsin...who recruits like this every year and wins 80% of their games along with the Big Ten all the time?

The order of kids' accepting scholarship offers is completely meaningless. You're getting all worked up and fighting with anyone who disagrees with you based on nothing other than your opinion. Take Kentucky out of the equation....and ALL teams "behave" in a manner than says "go get kids you think can help your program." Some end up being wrong, but someone said other higher level schools were beginning to get involved with this kid, and Indiana was simply first on the "major school" list. He accepted. I think it's great. If he's Matt Roth, he makes Indiana better. If he's Leary, he makes Indiana better. He's a 6'5" kid who understands the game and is a great shooter. You really don't think other schools would start to come calling pretty soon? If so, I think you're naive and you're definitely getting all excited over nothing.

As said earlier, Wisconsin has Bo Ryan who would red shirt this kid, build him to fit his system, and then release him on the court only when he's ready.

I'm not very confident that will be GG's path here.

Alright enough, or we will start dishing out warning points for not complying with what we have asked!

We have asked nicely multiple times to get over it, and it hasn't. I understand the concern and voicing it, but after awhile of going back and forth gets very annoying and disrupts the board. Final warning!

Looking for something to complain about? That is your response?

I am responding honestly to the news of Indiana getting its first recruit for 2016 and that being a 1 or 2 star recruit.

I am not "looking for something to complain about"

Let's all be honest, none of us were expecting the first commit of our so called 2016 "superclass" to be a no star recruit. That being said, some of us are frustrated at this. No one is "complaining". This kid is an Indiana kid, who seems to be able to shoot. Rankings matter, and all of us were expecting a higher ranked player as our first of likely 6.

How in the world do you know? This comment is completely baseless. .

Wrong again Old Friend. I SAID, statistically this is the same as Priller and April. All 3 were unrated players at the time of their committing. STATISTICALLY, we have no reason to believe this is any different. You can watch all the YouTube clips you want, I was referring to rankings. Absolutely NOT a "baseless" comment. It was based on recruiting rankings.

As said earlier, Wisconsin has Bo Ryan who would red shirt this kid, build him to fit his system, and then release him on the court only when he's ready.

I'm not very confident that will be GG's path here.

Time will tell.   I don't see the negatives in this kid a couple seem to.  He's only recently bloomed on the recruiting scene, and he still has a year left in high school.  Kid's 6'5", smart, and can shoot.  I'm stunned there's so much negativity surrounding his commitment.    Not sure what people think Indiana needs to be or what they want in a basketball player.   Not every kid on our team needs to be a guy who needs the ball and plays like he's on the street in New York.

Three years from now when GG and MSB walk out of Rupp Arena after lighting the roof on fire we'll all regret doubting him. Really though, he's not going to be a low ranked kid who turns into a stud like Paul George or Oladipo. He probably won't even be a Collin Hartman type. Worst case scenario he's a kid who sits the bench for four years who we don't have to worry about going out and getting in trouble with the law or causing distractions in the locker room. Not who you want to start a class off with, but nothing we can do about that now. Also, get that boy on an all protein diet asap. He's skinny as a rail.

Guys...I've been playing against and with Grant for some time now and the way he shoots is unlike anything I've personally seen...so quick and effortless with his release...his shooting has the ability to change games with how quickly he can turn the switch, the negativity I think is a bit uncalled for considering all most of you are going off of are rankings and highlight videos...watch him in person then give your opinions

All he is is a nick zeisloft-- white boy who can shoot 3s but can't drive or guard at the big ten level. He will get creaned.