Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2016) SG Grant Gelon commits to IU

Why does the order in which kids commit matter at all? Are we trying to win the battle on paper and in social media, or trying to win games on the floor? This kind of player helps any team win games. Maybe not in his first year or maybe in his first TWO. But he's clearly a smart player...watch his position defense and how he uses screens. Leave alone his shot...watch how he sets up other players to score. I don't understand why his being the first commit for 2016 means a thing.

Along with other noted reasons which are legitimate, does Gary Harris ring a bell?

So many reasons.....

Other offers include Iona, IUPUI, Toledo, Illinois/Chicago.

We could get this kid at any time.

14th rated player in Indiana.

Am I right, we only have 3 guaranteed roster spots next season right? Z, Max, Yogi??

I know we think 2 more are gone to Pros/etc..but a lot has to happen.

Why rush this????!

i agree mostly. Unfortunately buzz, momentum does matter a little bit. If we signed a 5 star point guard first, it would be a good selling point to bigs etc and would show recruits, here is who you will be playing with. Goes a long way

It's all smoke, mirrors, and "buzz."  It matters little.  These kids ALL talk to each other.  No signing is a surprise, really.  Maybe "either, or" but no surprises.  This will have almost zero bearing one way or the other on who comes or doesn't come.  I can also say with 100% confidence that it can work both ways.   A team signs a "star" other kids view as difficult to play with, a prima donna, a ball hog, someone who shoots too much, etc....they'll avoid playing with a kid like that.   A kid like Gelon?   No negatives and no baggage.   Just a player who's part of a class.

Along with other noted reasons which are legitimate, does Gary Harris ring a bell?

So many reasons.....

Am I right, we only have 3 guaranteed roster spots next season right? Z, Max, Yogi??

Why rush this????!

Smartest man in the room.

It's all smoke, mirrors, and "buzz." It matters little. These kids ALL talk to each other. No signing is a surprise, really. Maybe "either, or" but no surprises. This will have almost zero bearing one way or the other on who comes or doesn't come. I can also say with 100% confidence that it can work both ways. A team signs a "star" other kids view as difficult to play with, a prima donna, a ball hog, someone who shoots too much, etc....they'll avoid playing with a kid like that. A kid like Gelon? No negatives and no baggage. Just a player who's part of a class.

very true, it can work both ways. I would prefer it the other way, but it's all strategy, Crean just needs to play it right now

Why does the order in which kids commit matter at all?   Are we trying to win the battle on paper and in social media, or trying to win games on the floor?  This kind of player helps any team win games.  Maybe not in his first year or maybe in his first TWO.  But he's clearly a smart player...watch his position defense and how he uses screens.   Leave alone his shot...watch how he sets up other players to score.   I don't understand why his being the first commit for 2016 means a thing.

The order DOES NOT MATTER. Not even a little...not at all.

As long as all necessities are filled, that is.

I am pretty confident that's what we will be able to do. However, I understand that it is more nerveracking to not get one of "the horses" first.

So many reasons.....

Why rush this????!

true didn't think about this. back to earth 

So many reasons.....

Why rush this????!

Perhaps Crean sees something in the kid that makes him think he's underrrated. People put way too much stock in those ratings.

We have 4 next year for sure we have an unused one this year. And we will have 2 more JBJ and Troy are leaving.

Nope...we still have an open spot at the moment, giving us four guaranteed roster spots for '16.

That, and this is Troy Williams's last season at IU, barring (lord forbid) a red-shirt injury year.

Frank Kaminsky was an unranked kid who committed over a year before he played college ball.

Not saying this kid will be like Kaminsky but jeez people stop writing him off.

but even Kaminsky had a ranking and in the Top 300.

Ok since that was too subtle a way to put it.

Rankings are stupid they do determine how well a player will perform at the college level. For the most part it's their work ethic. How many former 4 and 5 stars did Oladipo get drafted before. If you count the ones that weren't good enough to get drafted. ALot.

Perhaps Crean sees something in the kid that makes him think he's underrrated. People put way too much stock in those ratings.

We have 4 next year for sure we have an unused one this year. And we will have 2 more JBJ and Troy are leaving.

Those ratings aren't completely meaningless, actually they can be a pretty good guide if not 100% accurate.  Point being, if a player is ranked that low (or not at all) there's probably a reason.

I haven't seen anything of this kid, and couldn't possibly care less about YouTube highlights since they can make anyone look good, but rankings aren't meaningless.

He also had Bo Ryan, who is a heck of a coach.

Rankings are stupid they do determine how well a player will perform at the college level. For the most part it's their work ethic. How many former 4 and 5 stars did Oladipo get drafted before. If you count the ones that weren't good enough to get drafted. ALot.

Players like Vic are the exception, that's why they make such a good story.

This debate happens every year. Scouts are really good. Rankings are very strong. Can a player outperform his HS ranking? Sure. But 5 Star players are very good. They nearly All start as freshman. Many become pros. The statistics support this strongly.