Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2016) SG Grant Gelon commits to IU

After leaving IU to attend State Fair Community College and subsequently committing to Missouri State for this next season, and now with a new head coach coming into Mo. St., he's decommitting from Mo. St.  Have to feel a little sympathy for him and I hope he can find a program that works out for him.
hmm

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

After leaving IU to attend State Fair Community College and subsequently committing to Missouri State for this next season, and now with a new head coach coming into Mo. St., he's decommitting from Mo. St.  Have to feel a little sympathy for him and I hope he can find a program that works out for him.

Mo St would’ve been really good for him! IMO ...curious if he goes to UGA?? Lol, I had too!

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Nope - all he had in common with Roth was on the basketball court. Roth was a higher level kid IMO. And that matters a lot too.

I think the absolution of your "nope" statement is difficult to argue against given we'll never know; but Roth was a great spot up shooter.  So was Gelon given the right circumstances; and I think he could have done what Roth did had he hung around and had talent around him.  Neither would have done much on their own.  That I agree with.

Matt Roth nor Grant Gelon should have had a scholarship on any Indiana team that hopes to contend for the accolades our fan base expects. Roth came in during a desperate time in the program, and Gelon came in when even Tim Prillers and Jeremiah Aprils were scholarship recipients. Roth would have been great on a mid-major squad, in my opinion. Beautiful shot, but extremely limited in his effectiveness in extended minutes. Gelon, probably at best, may have developed into a similar role at Indiana. Hope he finds the time to develop and succeed at a mid-major somewhere.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

I think the absolution of your "nope" statement is difficult to argue against given we'll never know; but Roth was a great spot up shooter.  So was Gelon given the right circumstances; and I think he could have done what Roth did had he hung around and had talent around him.  Neither would have done much on their own.  That I agree with.

Agreed, and I agree with you that Gelon’s skill set could have gotten to Roth’s level.
Where I disagree is whether Gelon was anywhere near Roth’s level from the neck up; whether he could have worked hard enough and partied “less enough” to develop.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed, and I agree with you that Gelon’s skill set could have gotten to Roth’s level.
Where I disagree is whether Gelon was anywhere near Roth’s level from the neck up; whether he could have worked hard enough and partied “less enough” to develop.

I have absolutely no idea about the kid from the neck up.  If you know more than I do (which is very likely), I'll defer to you because I have no clue.

I have absolutely no idea about the kid from the neck up.  If you know more than I do (which is very likely), I'll defer to you because I have no clue.

Don’t want to unnecessarily trash him. Let’s just say, I agree that Gelon could’ve been a nice piece with his ability as a shooter. However, he was no Roth.

3 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Matt Roth nor Grant Gelon should have had a scholarship on any Indiana team that hopes to contend for the accolades our fan base expects. Roth came in during a desperate time in the program, and Gelon came in when even Tim Prillers and Jeremiah Aprils were scholarship recipients. Roth would have been great on a mid-major squad, in my opinion. Beautiful shot, but extremely limited in his effectiveness in extended minutes. Gelon, probably at best, may have developed into a similar role at Indiana. Hope he finds the time to develop and succeed at a mid-major somewhere.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

Matt Roth was recruited by Sampson and all indications at the time were that we were going to be a damn good team. Roth, Pritchard, Holloway and Ebanks were in what would have been the '08 class.

Stuhoo must have heard some off court stuff here. That’s interesting.

This was another recruitment that indicated to me Crean’s days were numbered. Lots of people fought me on this one too. Lots of Roth arguments, etc. Gelon showed very clearly in HS he wasn’t Matt Roth. Crean goofed up on this one from the beginning.

On GG, good luck to him and hope he knocks it out of the park wherever he ends up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Stuhoo must have heard some off court stuff here. That’s interesting.

This was another recruitment that indicated to me Crean’s days were numbered. Lots of people fought me on this one too. Lots of Roth arguments, etc. Gelon showed very clearly in HS he wasn’t Matt Roth. Crean goofed up on this one from the beginning.

On GG, good luck to him and hope he knocks it out of the park wherever he ends up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes.

While he was nowhere as good as Roth at the high school level, I don’t dismiss that he could’ve worked hard on his game, not partied too much, and used that good shooting stroke to become a usable piece. That wasn’t who he was, however.

33 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

On the road again.  Just can't wait to get on the road again.

Bethel Hoops @BethelHoops

#BethelHoops proudly welcomes Grant Gelon to the BU Basketball family! #TrueBlueBU

Is this guy trying to be the first PHD completed on basketball scholarship