Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2016) SG Grant Gelon commits to IU

Man, I was really saying that a class teaching personal finance and corp. benefits should be required before any kid graduates from college...forget about the sports guys....I mean everyone....No class no diploma...

Since the thread popped back up anyway, I missed this response before.

My post that you quoted was more the point of, if the NCAA makes the decision, they can affect 460,000 kids. In order to affect that many kids for colleges, you have to have 12 IUs all agree on the same piece of required curriculum. One is more politically feasible than the other.

I'm stirring the pot?? Errrr!!!! Ok don't let me interrupt your negativity. Carry on.

I remember being at a game and Mike Roberts getting booed for laying the ball up instead of dunking it on a fast break.

Dude can you drop the anti-negativity comments. That stuff is obnoxious to read every time you post

Two good pulls from the article (I mean, you guys read it yourself, obviously from my posts my "good pulls" are vastly different than anyone elses)

"As Crean took a seat on the first row of the bleachers amid several other mostly mid-major coaches, a couple of Gelon’s Indiana Elite teammates nudged him.

“They were like, ‘Hit some 3s right there by Crean,’” Gelon said."

BA as heck to see a D-1 coach show up to watch someone else (Eron Gordon) and move where you're taking your 3s from to be more impressive.

And...
"Basketball hero: Gelon’s hero growing up was former Duke star Jon Scheyer, who is now a Duke assistant. “I always tried to model myself after him,” Gelon said. “He’s always been my personal favorite. I was a few feet away from him in Vegas in July but we weren’t supposed to say anything to coaches so I kept my mouth shut.”"

Doesn't that just give us the best picture of how Indiana high school basketball players view the IUBB history everyone wants to go on about? Scheyer wasn't even born when we last won a championship. I mean, let's not even talk about how the high school players themselves weren't born until after our boom period ended, the players they grew up watching weren't even born until after our boom period ended.

This is an IUBB commit, Indiana native, sister goes to IU, talking to an Indianapolis paper, and he breaks out a Duke player and coach as his basketball hero.

Two good pulls from the article (I mean, you guys read it yourself, obviously from my posts my "good pulls" are vastly different than anyone elses)

"As Crean took a seat on the first row of the bleachers amid several other mostly mid-major coaches, a couple of Gelon’s Indiana Elite teammates nudged him.

“They were like, ‘Hit some 3s right there by Crean,’” Gelon said."

BA as heck to see a D-1 coach show up to watch someone else (Eron Gordon) and move where you're taking your 3s from to be more impressive.

And...
"Basketball hero: Gelon’s hero growing up was former Duke star Jon Scheyer, who is now a Duke assistant. “I always tried to model myself after him,” Gelon said. “He’s always been my personal favorite. I was a few feet away from him in Vegas in July but we weren’t supposed to say anything to coaches so I kept my mouth shut.”"

Doesn't that just give us the best picture of how Indiana high school basketball players view the IUBB history everyone wants to go on about? Scheyer wasn't even born when we last won a championship. I mean, let's not even talk about how the high school players themselves weren't born until after our boom period ended, the players they grew up watching weren't even born until after our boom period ended.

This is an IUBB commit, Indiana native, sister goes to IU, talking to an Indianapolis paper, and he breaks out a Duke player and coach as his basketball hero.

So the kid hit a few 3s and next thing you know he gets a scholly?

So the kid hit a few 3s and next thing you know he gets a scholly?

Yeah. That appears to be the short version.

I still don't have an opinion on him except that we should have slowed our recruitment a little. But, I do like the tenacity it takes to blatantly show-off like that.

I think CTC and my 9-year old granddaughter have a lot in common.  If she has a dollar in her pocket, it must be spent immediately and available schollys seem to have the same effect on our coach.  I don't know that Gelon is necessarily a bad recruit but the fact he was the first commit and off the radar that really caught us off guard.  Getting a commit from CuJo helps, but we still have a lot of holes to fill on next season's roster.

I don't see the problem with offering the kid. Not every player that we are going to bring in is going to an All American. When we brought Zeisloft in, the majority of fans were really against it. He played a certain role for our team and I think Gelon can come in and fill the same roll. And if it doesn't work out it could be a Max Hoetzel situation and he could find greener pastures somewhere else. Plus he is an Indiana kid. To many complain that we don't go after them. For all we know he could turn into a lesser version of Kellen Dunham for us.

I don't see the problem with offering the kid. Not every player that we are going to bring in is going to an All American. When we brought Zeisloft in, the majority of fans were really against it. He played a certain role for our team and I think Gelon can come in and fill the same roll. And if it doesn't work out it could be a Max Hoetzel situation and he could find greener pastures somewhere else. Plus he is an Indiana kid. To many complain that we don't go after them. For all we know he could turn into a lesser version of Kellen Dunham for us.

The comments you see about our in state recruiting aren't really about the ones that might be just inside the top 15.

The comments you see about our in state recruiting aren't really about the ones that might be just inside the top 15.

Plus, those comments are dumb. There is no support to the assertion Indiana kids are smarter at basketball or love IU more or whatever it is that makes them the greatest recruits ever.

And, of course, all those fools who delude themselves into thinking they know something were assuring us this time last year that Hartman "will never see the floor."

And, of course, all those fools who delude themselves into thinking they know something were assuring us this time last year that Hartman "will never see the floor."

They were? Who? Where? I literally never saw a single person say that. Everyone I saw talking about Hartman expected him to play the 6th man role and average about 12 to 15 minutes a game. I mean, no one really expected to have him be our starting post-defender because we aren't crazy people.

Wait, are you sure you didn't see people expressing concern about his recent injury? "Oh boy, I hope he has a fast recovery, I don't know if he'll see the floor if he isn't able to play or practice until December!"

I remember a lot of comments like that. Here's one related, but unrelated...

I think:

Nate Ritchie > Collin Hartman

But nothing untrue?

Seriously though, I can surely find some comments like that, and tons saying he was going to be an all-star. That's simply the nature of having a large group of diverse fans discussing a topic. I mean, who wants to go into the April or Priller thread and find the people talking about how Crean may have done it again with a diamond in the rough and how everyone was wrong last time they discounted whatever player. It's just the nature of discussions between multiple humans.