Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2016) SG Grant Gelon commits to IU

Wrong again Old Friend. I SAID, statistically this is the same as Priller and April. All 3 were unrated players at the time of their committing. STATISTICALLY, we have no reason to believe this is any different. You can watch all the YouTube clips you want, I was referring to rankings. Absolutely NOT a "baseless" comment. It was based on recruiting rankings.

Guys...I've been playing against and with Grant for some time now and the way he shoots is unlike anything I've personally seen...so quick and effortless with his release...his shooting has the ability to change games with how quickly he can turn the switch, the negativity I think is a bit uncalled for considering all most of you are going off of are rankings and highlight videos...watch him in person then give your opinions

We love our shooters here in Indiana. Myself included. In 35 years of watching IHSAA I've seen a bunch of them and used to get excited about every one of them. But, I realized long ago that a great shooter in HS does not equal B1G player. Nobody is negative towards this kid. The idea of this kid coming to IU unranked, working his but off for four years and becoming a good player is the great story we all love. The reality is that is highly unlikely. Odds are limited floor time for a year or two then transfer to a mid major. People are questioning the move because we need many immediate contributors in this class.

My take on the situation is:
1. Nobody is taking a shot at this young man. Welcome!
2. A lot of us plain and simple have no faith in Crean. He scares the hell out of us with the dumb crap he pulls. I mean calling them brain farts is being polite so yes we have every right to question what the hell he does because he hasn't earned the right to say " trust me"!!!
3. Congrats to Mr. Gelon on his dream come true !

YES!! EXACTLY!! The thread can end on that!

There you go folks, a kid who's dreamed of wearing the Candy Stripes.

@ZachOsterman: "This has been the dream for a long time." Grant Gelon commits to #iubb: http://t.co/HsWZXfZqa2 via @indystar

Great to hear! He sounds like one of us if we had just committed. Could not be more excited to have someone on the team who actually wants to be a Hoosier!

If Crean treats this kid well, maybe he can begin to rebuild his reputation with in-state coaches.

@ZachOsterman: Interesting comment from Gelon's AAU coach on how he might fit with other #iubb targets in 2016: http://t.co/o1kqxjWqAm

Regardless of his ranking I would say the last thing this move was by Crean is a rush. We will have between 4 and 6 open scholarships next year and had 0 commits before yesterday.  This class needs to start coming together and if Grant can be a contributor and good teammate throughout his career then he is worth the scholarship.  As someone pointed out earlier we are in with a number of elite players but those 4-6 spots are not going to be filled with all 4 and 5 star recruits. Within the next 2 months most of the 2016 players will be committing somewhere and if you wait then the options will be really bare.

When the class is going to be as big as 2016 will be I have no problem taking on a kid like this who really wants to be here, has some skills that can translate immediately (shooting) and understands the tradition he is stepping into.  

Regardless of his ranking I would say the last thing this move was by Crean is a rush.

i think it was without question rushed.

Early, first commit, first visit, 1 month into the recruitment. Crean saw Gelon play for the first time 1 month ago. Not saying he won't be good, but it was certainly rushed

i think it was without question rushed.

Early, first commit, first visit, 1 month into the recruitment. Crean saw Gelon play for the first time 1 month ago. Not saying he won't be good, but it was certainly rushed

Where I disagree with you is that this is an early commit.  This is exactly the time period that players start to commit before senior year.  If he was a 2017 or 2018 recruit I would agree it was early but this isn't an early commit.

How about a Top 20 player that doesn't play for the name on the front? I'll take that. Kids now don't commit to schools. At least not top kids. Good chance this kid ends his Indiana career with almost no PT.

in all likelyhood, we have 5 spots left. But, do you like NZ3? Most effect scorer in the country? Yeah I like that. This kid can be that. Shooting takes you a long way. I guarantee if he'd had went to butler & killed his junior or senior year, you would be on here cracking crean for not giving this kid a chance.

Let him develop, as a jr & sr we'll see how he really is. My bet is he will help.

The other day, I received a very large Amazon package. My wife usually orders things for the house so I had no idea what was in it. Big packages can be fun so I opened it up as soon as I got it inside. It was filled with diapers and baby wipes. That was a bit underwhelming even though I knew we needed them. I had the same feeling after hearing about this IU commitment and then coming here .

in all likelyhood, we have 5 spots left. But, do you like NZ3? Most effect scorer in the country? Yeah I like that. This kid can be that. Shooting takes you a long way. I guarantee if he'd had went to butler & killed his junior or senior year, you would be on here cracking crean for not giving this kid a chance.

Let him develop, as a jr & sr we'll see how he really is. My bet is he will help.

My bet is that he'll be where Priller will be. On the bench.

Yeah, but if he went to IUPUI and didn't do much of anything you'd never hear about him again.

Anyone done the legwork to figure out how many successful unranked players Crean has had?