Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FKfootball

I'm worried about in-state recruiting.

Probably an incorrect assumption, based on this 5-year data from 2013, but nice try!

http://db.desmoinesregister.com/college-basketball-recruiting

Fact checking is incredibly easy if you can spare 10 extra seconds and access Google :)

Cool article.

But it is from 2009-2013 if I'm not mistaken. Seems our totals were rising quickly. Would be neat to see most recent numbers. It has us at 420k in 2013 and I think our figure was 800+k last year.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Cool article.

But it is from 2009-2013 if I'm not mistaken. Seems our totals were rising quickly. Would be neat to see most recent numbers.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yeah agreed. I didn't dig too deep to find more recent numbers as the newspaper that acquired them had to go through public records requests, but seeing Kansas and Louisville up top aligns with what I expected. I'd also assume as much as our recruiting budget has grown, theirs have grown proportionally.

4 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

The point is, Indiana University, the school synonymous with college hoops, multiple National Championships, and the largest budget (I'm guessing), should be better at recruiting the state of Indiana.

Has anyone been able to consistency land the top Indiana prospects every year?  Did IU even do that when RMK was winning nattys?  This is a list of your description from 2007 (from or played HS ball in Indiana and top 50)

2007 - 1 Gordon (IU), 27 Moore (pu), 44 Johnson (pu), 50 Martin (pu)

2008 - 16 Zeller (UNC), 49 Garcia (Memphis)

2009 - N/A

2010 - 19 Thomas (O$U)

2011 - 7 Teague (puke), 10 Zeller (IU), 17 Dawson (MSU), 50 Chandler (UCF)

2012 - 17 Robinson (UM), 19 Harris (MSU), 21 Yogi (IU), 36 Hollowell (IU)

2013 - 29 Irvin (UM), 34 Jackson (ND)

2014 - 10 Lyles (puke), 20 JBJ (IU), 39 Bluiett (X)

2015 - 18 Swan (pu), 37 Lands (Ill), 50 Humphries (puke)

2016 - 37 Guy (UVA)

Straight by the numbers:

IU (5/24), pu (4/24), puke (3/24), UM (2/24), MSU (2/24), ND (1/24), Ill (1/24), X (1/24), UNC (1/24), O$U (1/24), UCF (1/24), Memphis (1/24), UVA (1/24)

Observations...

That coach who shall not be named was more concerned about bringing in guys that were NOT like Moore, Johnson, Martin, and Zeller.  Proof, look what happened when things blew up.

Thomas ended up at O$U because of connections with the staff.

Teague was a good player but was an OAD.  Dawson and Chandler had character issues.  (opinion) Not too upset we missed on them.

Robinson blew up late if I recall.  We were on Hollowell for awhile.  Wish we could have landed Harris though.

Irvin would have been a nice get but we landed Troy instead.  I don't see how Jackson plays behind Yogi until he's a senior.

Lyles, no thanks.  He's a good player but dad wanted things.  Bluiett would have been a good get.

Swan doesn't fit, would have to completely change offense.  Coleman-Lands had an okay frosh campaign but he would have had limited playing time at IU behind Yogi, JBJ, RoJo, and then on down the list.  Humphries, not really an Indiana kid but played at LaLu.

Guy, would have been a good get but would also be playing behind upperclass guards.  I think CuJo and DG might work better by not expecting as much PT early on.  I guess we'll see.

5 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Yeah agreed. I didn't dig too deep to find more recent numbers as the newspaper that acquired them had to go through public records requests, but seeing Kansas and Louisville up top aligns with what I expected. I'd also assume as much as our recruiting budget has grown, theirs have grown proportionally.

IU was under sanctions that limited recruiting though.  I 'd imagine that cut into the $$$ spent for recruiting.

Hopefully we can pull Wilkes. I am by no means following it like Pap, but the tea leaves suggest Scruggs is going elsewhere. I haven't kept up on Langford either, but he obviously would be huge as well. A couple of solid classes for Crean to make some noise in state. Hard to say what comes of it at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hopefully we can pull Wilkes. I am by no means following it like Pap, but the tea leaves suggest Scruggs is going elsewhere. I haven't kept up on Langford either, but he obviously would be huge as well. A couple of solid classes for Crean to make some noise in state. Hard to say what comes of it at this point.

You still feel that way about Scruggs even after them saying they will take an official here?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You still feel that way about Scruggs even after them saying they will take an official here?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I just feel the need for Guaranteed PT at the point will be difficult with who we have most likely coming back. It seems he wants to be option 1A at the 1. Not something we can guarantee. But as we all know the hockey style subs happen and he could easily get PT. Him making it past that Xavier visit was a nice boost.

I would say we have a chance with Scruggs but it's not likely. If Scruggs makes it to campus for that OV I like our chances even more.

I'm not sure how much PT we could offer and even less at the point. If he's willing to take a backseat to players like JN, RoJo, and possibly JBJ he'll have plenty of time as a sophomore. I'm not sure he's willing to wait.

5 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Probably an incorrect assumption, based on this 5-year data from 2013, but nice try!

http://db.desmoinesregister.com/college-basketball-recruiting

Fact checking is incredibly easy if you can spare 10 extra seconds and access Google :)

When you try to be snarky then post incorrect data... Another wise cracking jokester.. 

I'm talking about budget within the state. The entire argument is that Indiana is not landing in state talent. And compared to the other teams in the state, my guess was, that indiana has the largest budget. I know some folks may not have jobs but posting in between client appointments makes it difficult to do a ton of fact checking and detective work before every post.

I wish I had the ability to reply to all the ridiculous 

When you try to be snarky then post incorrect data... Another wise cracking jokester.. 

I'm talking about budget within the state. The entire argument is that Indiana is not landing in state talent. And compared to the other teams in the state, my guess was, that indiana has the largest budget. I know some folks may not have jobs but posting in between client appointments makes it difficult to do a ton of fact checking and detective work before every post.

Can we at least go back 25 years instead of the arbitrary 10 years then? Cause that's when it really started where kids left state.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Can we at least go back 25 years instead of the arbitrary 10 years then? Cause that's when it really started where kids left state.

Whatever works.. I didn't think it would be so outrageous to say that Indiana has been getting elite talent plucked from under its nose. I thought it was common knowledge.

Baltimore's list may be distracting from a good point to discuss -that being does Crean has an in state issue with some HS coaches.

I have to admit that we have missed on a few kids that seem to be good character kids. I think that may be as much related to inconsistent on court performance but it does make me wonder if there is some truth to this.

Does anyone know if Crean has coaches clinics like RMK used to have?

The 2017 class in Indiana will hopefully reveal that we can recruit and land the best in this state. But if not, it is hard not to wonder.

I was responding before you had your last thought out. Guessing you are not really wanting to discuss anything. Which is cool. You just had a thought you wanted to get out. It really doesn't change we have had hits over the last 25 years and plenty of misses. Wish we would have got May and Montross. I think both would have elevated their respective teams.

Baltimore's list may be distracting from a good point to discuss -that being does Crean has an in state issue with some HS coaches.

I have to admit that we have missed on a few kids that seem to be good character kids. I think that may be as much related to inconsistent on court performance but it does make me wonder if there is some truth to this.

Does anyone know if Crean has coaches clinics like RMK used to have?

The 2017 class in Indiana will hopefully reveal that we can recruit and land the best in this state. But if not, it is hard not to wonder.

I guess I'm in between in this argument. I don't think Crean is well respected in the state but I don't think we missed out on a ton of talent (by his standards, played HS ball instate and top 50 guys). I definitely think we missed on some but there's reason more than Crean for that.

My thing with in state recruiting and recruiting as a whole is you honestly just never know. Look at a guy like Vic who wasn't rated very high and out of state. He came to IU and is now probably one of the most beloved players ever, but on the flip side you have Hanner. Hanner was a 4 star if I remember correctly and in the state of Indiana and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could've been any worse for our program. It's truly a crap shoot and no one truly knows what will happen until the kids get here and get on the court. I just hope Crean and staff finds guys that fit our style/program regardless of where they're from.