Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FKfootball

I'm worried about in-state recruiting.

Well there were a ton of posters on various boards who basically stated Bryant was a saviour. He was going to transform this team to another level. Fair or not expectations for Mr Bryant are very high.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well, it's a very rare player who can put a whole team on his shoulders and carry them. And as for the ton of posters, that's how they weigh manure too.

Here ya go!

Right up the alley of those who prefer the local kid. Only one D1 offer so far, but we are monitoring for 2016 and he could be who we end up with instead of a guy in the mid-low three or four star category such as Curtis Jones, Eli Wright, Mitchell Ballock, etc.

Big week for Gelon. RT @Stof34: Indiana Elite Central 2016 Grant Gelon of Crown Point offered by Western Michigan, interest from IU.

"Grant Gelon no doubt attracted the attention of a few college coaches in attendance this week at the Adidas Invitational for his ability to knock down the outside shot. Gelon, a 6-5 senior-to-be from Crown Point, shot 11-for-23 from the 3-point line in his first three games with Indiana Elite Central 2016. That percentage isn't an anomaly for Gelon, who set a Crown Point school record with 102 made 3-pointers as a junior at a 43 percent clip.

I'm trying to be a better all-round player this summer, but that's probably the main focus of my play is my shooting ability," said Gelon, who averaged 14.3 points a game as a junior.

Crown Point finished 19-9 and advanced to a Class 4A regional final before losing to South Bend Riley by three points.Gelon hasn't yet snared a Division offer but is getting interest from programs such as Denver, Furman, Illinois State, Iona, IUPUI, Montana State, Western Michigan and Youngstown State."

PS: 

Stop comparing the relative value of Rawle Alkins versus Eron Gordon. We have room for both and we want both.

Instead, compare the relative value of getting Grant Gelon versus Curtis Jones, Eli Wright, Mitchell Ballock.

That's the real question.

Well there were a ton of posters on various boards who basically stated Bryant was a saviour. He was going to transform this team to another level. Fair or not expectations for Mr Bryant are very high.

There were "a ton of posters on various boards" who thought Hollowell and Perea were one and dones and that VO would lose his starting spot to them. Just like there were fans who thought Crean's first team had NIT potential with a chance at being on the bubble. There are a lot of homer IU fans out there who overrate the team every year only to lower the bar when their expectations aren't met. 

You're confusing "savior" with "missing piece". I frequent multiple boards and I don't think I've seen anyone saying Bryant is going to carry the team or being the focal point. He's talented 5 on a team that has most other aspects covered, except inside play.

You're confusing "savior" with "missing piece". I frequent multiple boards and I don't think I've seen anyone saying Bryant is going to carry the team or being the focal point. He's talented 5 on a team that has most other aspects covered, except inside play.

Crean promised Bryant he would be a vocal point!

"A focal point" and "the focal point" aren't the same. Coaches say a lot of things in recruiting. This is Yogi's team. Yogi is the engine, and guys like Blackmon and Troy are as well. Bryant will be our best/featured big and a big piece of our success. But, he's the missing piece, not the savior. He's a cog in the wheel, albeit an important one.

Crean promised Bryant he would be a vocal point!

"A focal point" and "the focal point" aren't the same. Coaches say a lot of things in recruiting. This is Yogi's team. Yogi is the engine, and guys like Blackmon and Troy are as well. Bryant will be our best/featured big and a big piece of our success. But, he's the missing piece, not the savior. He's a cog in the wheel, albeit an important one.

It's a joke. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

After the Derby Classic, during an interview Thomas mispronounced focal at least 3 times thus the intentionally misspelled word.

I guess if i have to explain it it wasn't funny.

Yogi should feed the post more this year.

That is in my eyes is the weakest part of his game.

Holt has great hands and Thomas looks to be the same.There's no excuse  not to play thru the middle more with this squad.

Weaves and pounding the ball on the perimeter make us easy to guard in the half court sets.

Holt has great hands and Thomas looks to be the same.There's no excuse not to play thru the middle more with this squad.
Weaves and pounding the ball on the perimeter make us easy to guard in the half court sets.

100%

Holt has great hands and Thomas looks to be the same.There's no excuse  not to play thru the middle more with this squad.

No question.  You just hit the nail on the head why I commented a couple of months ago that some things need to change for Bryant to be the difference maker he can be.  Vonleh wasn't utilized the way he could have been, and the team suffered because of it.   Yogi has never been asked to play in any role but "creator," which has built his game in such a way that everything's off the dribble on the move; and Crean's offense has done nothing to change that.   I'd like to see post screens and also utilize post players as great passers.

No question.  You just hit the nail on the head why I commented a couple of months ago that some things need to change for Bryant to be the difference maker he can be.  Vonleh wasn't utilized the way he could have been, and the team suffered because of it.   Yogi has never been asked to play in any role but "creator," which has built his game in such a way that everything's off the dribble on the move; and Crean's offense has done nothing to change that.   I'd like to see post screens and also utilize post players as great passers.

Absolutely agree with the principle, but disagree about Vonleh. Vonleh was (is) a great natural talent, but his game was very immature when we had him. Saw us feeding the post to Vonleh, invariably with negative results. Noah's court vision was not good at all, or maybe he wasn't coached on the basics of passing out of the post. Either way, it was a disaster when it happened. Vonleh was barely 18 as a freshman, and IMO, had a transient attitude from day one. HE is an example of an out of state recruit that did not work out. If he'd stayed a few years, it would have been a success, but that's not where his head was at.

Holt showed much better instincts, and Bryant has the reputation of being a willing passer; maybe this year. It would be a nice change.

All of that having been said, our ball security and ball movement was so much better last year that any post improvement would be gravy.

I know it's been beaten to death, but defensive awareness, defensive guard play, and some (any?) kind of defensive presence at the rim will open so many possibilities for this year's team. Moreover, those improvements are far more necessary than an active post game.

No, you're good! I just completely missed it :).

It's a joke. I wasn't disagreeing with you.
 After the Derby Classic, during an interview Thomas mispronounced focal at least 3 times thus the intentionally misspelled word.
I guess if i have to explain it it wasn't funny.