Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FKfootball

I'm worried about in-state recruiting.

I guess I'm the only one that values Championships. I don't care if you average 28 wins a year for 10 years and someone else averages 20 and they have 1 championship to me they had a better decade.

You're right.  You're the only one that values championships.  You're smarter and set higher goals than everyone here.  Nobody else "values" championships, and nobody really wants to win.  Who needs that pressure??  We're all just happy to be here.

Or......

You're the only one that doesn't grasp the absurdity of that comment.   That actually winning has a title as much or more to do with things like injuries, how a game is officiated, foul trouble, how well you shoot or don't shoot, lucky or unlucky bounces, etc.  Great coaches don't always win championships, mediocre coaches sometimes do, and if that's your sole standard, we'll have to change coaches every season and hope we guess right every year.   Good gravy....

Rollie Massimino, who won 62% of his games during his career won a championship, and he couldn't win at UNLV immediately following Jerry Tarkanian's historic run there when they were still "the sh*t."  Was he a great coach?  You'd rather have him than Bo Ryan?  Jim Valvano won 62% of his games as a head coach, made just one Final Four in his career, and had a lifetime conference record of 71-69 in the ACC; having a .500 record or worse in 6 of 10 seasons.   He's a better coach than Bo Ryan?

Gary Williams won 55% of his conference games at Maryland, finishing 6th or lower eight times.    He had a losing record in the Big Ten over the 3 years he was at Ohio State.  But he won an NCAA title.  He's better than Bo Ryan?

How about Jim Harrick?    He's so good, he was able to compile a 33-31 conference record while at Georgia.  Or Steve Fisher.  He's won 63% of his games.  He's awesome and better than Bo Ryan, right?  Heck, he won 58% of his games at Michigan....WITH the Fab 5 for a few years.  

Bo Ryan has won 76.4% of his games over his career.  He has four, not one, four national titles to his credit.  But he's only got two undefeated seasons.   You're right.  He's had a horrible decade.

I really don't think so.
Calipari had the most talented team to come along, maybe ever and was clearly out coached by Ryan.
And I really think he is a better coach than Crean as much as it pains me to say.
We never get the players he does so wheres that leave us?

Crean has out coached Calipari!

[quote name="Banksyrules" post="180268" timestamp="1436895096"]

From what I I heard is that Bryant is the type of person who holds others accountable for their actions. We've been missing that in the Crean tenure. Maybe that can make a difference.[/quote

I agree and that is what I have seen! This is what we need and what will make a big differance!

You're right. You're the only one that values championships. You're smarter and set higher goals than everyone here. Nobody else "values" championships, and nobody really wants to win. Who needs that pressure?? We're all just happy to be here.

Or......

You're the only one that doesn't grasp the absurdity of that comment. That actually winning has a title as much or more to do with things like injuries, how a game is officiated, foul trouble, how well you shoot or don't shoot, lucky or unlucky bounces, etc. Great coaches don't always win championships, mediocre coaches sometimes do, and if that's your sole standard, we'll have to change coaches every season and hope we guess right every year. Good gravy....

Rollie Massimino, who won 62% of his games during his career won a championship, and he couldn't win at UNLV immediately following Jerry Tarkanian's historic run there when they were still "the sh*t." Was he a great coach? You'd rather have him than Bo Ryan? Jim Valvano won 62% of his games as a head coach, made just one Final Four in his career, and had a lifetime conference record of 71-69 in the ACC; having a .500 record or worse in 6 of 10 seasons. He's a better coach than Bo Ryan?

Gary Williams won 55% of his conference games at Maryland, finishing 6th or lower eight times. He had a losing record in the Big Ten over the 3 years he was at Ohio State. But he won an NCAA title. He's better than Bo Ryan?

How about Jim Harrick? He's so good, he was able to compile a 33-31 conference record while at Georgia. Or Steve Fisher. He's won 63% of his games. He's awesome and better than Bo Ryan, right? Heck, he won 58% of his games at Michigan....WITH the Fab 5 for a few years.

Bo Ryan has won 76.4% of his games over his career. He has four, not one, four national titles to his credit. But he's only got two undefeated seasons. You're right. He's had a horrible decade.

Go colts, I love that you are smarter than everyone here. You are the man! I don't know what I would do without your knowledge.

Go colts, I love that you are smarter than everyone here. You are the man! I don't know what I would do without your knowledge.

People have complained that colts is "condescending" and "abrasive." Back-handed compliments and snarky one-liners that offer little to nothing of value to the discussion at hand might be part of the reason for that. 

People have complained that colts is "condescending" and "abrasive." Back-handed compliments and snarky one-liners that offer little to nothing of value to the discussion at hand might be part of the reason for that. 

Thanks Wat.  Never claimed perfection, and I'm certainly not.  But I will never understand posts like Beowulf's.  As if he and others want to be somehow protected from something that might make them uncomfortable, differ from whatever mold or style they want to read, or Heaven forbid, think a little.  

Ok Go Colts is the victim, I'm sorry! please Co Colts steer us the right way! If you can't see that he is always In the right, In his mind I don't know what to tell you.

[quote name="Old Friend" post="180545" timestamp="1437172164"]

Thanks Wat. Never claimed perfection, and I'm certainly not. But I will never understand posts like Beowulf's. As if he and others want to be somehow protected from something that might make them uncomfortable, differ from whatever mold or style they want to read, or Heaven forbid, think a little. [/quote

Never understand posts like mine?? You claim perfection every time you touch the keyboard! Everyone is wrong and you are right. I'm very comfortable with my love for IU and everything else!

[quote name="Old Friend" post="180545" timestamp="1437172164"]

Thanks Wat. Never claimed perfection, and I'm certainly not. But I will never understand posts like Beowulf's. As if he and others want to be somehow protected from something that might make them uncomfortable, differ from whatever mold or style they want to read, or Heaven forbid, think a little. [/quote

Never understand posts like mine?? You claim perfection every time you touch the keyboard! Everyone is wrong and you are right. I'm very comfortable with my love for IU and everything else!

Dude, what the heck. Drop it. You're being a ton worse by derailing the thread with this stuff

Based on what you/we know, are we satisfied with the recruiting options/focus for 16 and 17? I don't claim to know every recruit we are after but it doesn't seem like we are going to replace Yogi with another 5 star stud. That seems to be my biggest concern

Based on what you/we know, are we satisfied with the recruiting options/focus for 16 and 17? I don't claim to know every recruit we are after but it doesn't seem like we are going to replace Yogi with another 5 star stud. That seems to be my biggest concern

Agree.  Have said it before....  Indiana is going to be very good this coming season.  I don't think that's in question, and I think everyone's happy.  The issue is the long term health and success of the program, and that's where Crean has fallen short over the course of his career.   The whole conversation about Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo, or anyone like that is simply that those guys have a system they recruit to, they get kids who know exactly what the expectations are, and they win consistently no matter who the players are.   Indiana is a program that deserves the same, and it's questionable whether or not Crean can deliver.  

We don't have Yogi's replacement on the radar.   We don't have Williams' replacement (he'll be gone and deservedly so after this season.  The NBA will invite him to join that party quickly).   I'm not sure Blackmon will stick around.  We have lots of holes to fill, lots of depth to build; and Crean's pattern has been a shotgun, year to year approach that doesn't really build consistently winning teams, but rather a good collection of talent every few years and complete mediocrity surrounding it.    

It's all but impossible to compete on a Final Four level every season, but being in the Big Ten conversation and giving Indiana a chance is a reasonable and very attainable goal he's not met in his tenure here.   And I think you're spot on to consider that a concern for the 16-17 season and beyond.  The 2016 recruiting class is a deep one.  I saw a kid named Xavier Simpson play not long ago..a point guard from Lima, OH.  He's quick, a great distributor, and he forced a lot of mistakes playing defense.   Would love him to show up at Indiana, but we're not even on his list.  His options are Michigan State, Xavier, Purdue, Iowa, and Illinois.  He's rated somewhere in the 70's, I think.  He would be a good target for Yogi's replacement...for example.  But I haven't heard a word about him or really any others.   CJ Walker from Indy Tech already committed to Florida State, but he's got some potential.   I think he's a top 100 kid.   Another target might be Jordan Bone.  He's from Nashville, but plays a lot of AAU ball with and against kids from Indiana and Kentucky.   I also wonder where Vijay Blackmon will end up.   He's more of a combo guard, but a pretty solid player.  He's not James, but he has better ball handling skills.

Kyle Guy already committed to Virgina, so the only other target I know of (at PG) is that kid from Evansville who's not even a top 150 kid.  I bet we get a JUCO.

You give Crean zero credit and he has out coached Calipari!

I've given Crean credit multiple times on this board, when I felt it was deserved. I'm just not hesitant to criticize him when it's deserved either.

Yes, Calipari is a better coach. He was more successful before he got to UK than Crean has been in his entire career including IU. Head to head matchups aren't a good barometer of coaching ability; Mike Davis beat Izzo, Patino and K in the same year.

Agree.  Have said it before....  Indiana is going to be very good this coming season.  I don't think that's in question, and I think everyone's happy.  The issue is the long term health and success of the program, and that's where Crean has fallen short over the course of his career.   The whole conversation about Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo, or anyone like that is simply that those guys have a system they recruit to, they get kids who know exactly what the expectations are, and they win consistently no matter who the players are.   Indiana is a program that deserves the same, and it's questionable whether or not Crean can deliver.  

We don't have Yogi's replacement on the radar.   We don't have Williams' replacement (he'll be gone and deservedly so after this season.  The NBA will invite him to join that party quickly).   I'm not sure Blackmon will stick around.  We have lots of holes to fill, lots of depth to build; and Crean's pattern has been a shotgun, year to year approach that doesn't really build consistently winning teams, but rather a good collection of talent every few years and complete mediocrity surrounding it.    

It's all but impossible to compete on a Final Four level every season, but being in the Big Ten conversation and giving Indiana a chance is a reasonable and very attainable goal he's not met in his tenure here.   And I think you're spot on to consider that a concern for the 16-17 season and beyond.  The 2016 recruiting class is a deep one.  I saw a kid named Xavier Simpson play not long ago..a point guard from Lima, OH.  He's quick, a great distributor, and he forced a lot of mistakes playing defense.   Would love him to show up at Indiana, but we're not even on his list.  His options are Michigan State, Xavier, Purdue, Iowa, and Illinois.  He's rated somewhere in the 70's, I think.  He would be a good target for Yogi's replacement...for example.  But I haven't heard a word about him or really any others.   CJ Walker from Indy Tech already committed to Florida State, but he's got some potential.   I think he's a top 100 kid.   Another target might be Jordan Bone.  He's from Nashville, but plays a lot of AAU ball with and against kids from Indiana and Kentucky.   I also wonder where Vijay Blackmon will end up.   He's more of a combo guard, but a pretty solid player.  He's not James, but he has better ball handling skills.

Kyle Guy already committed to Virgina, so the only other target I know of (at PG) is that kid from Evansville who's not even a top 150 kid.  I bet we get a JUCO.

You've said you're all for high quality players no matter where we get them from. We have a top 75 pure pg from Philly that is perceived to be an IU lean (Tony Carr). Also a top 50 PG/SG combo (Bruce Brown) leaning IU.  Whaddya think?

We are also in heavily on Ohio Ibi Watson, Eron Gordon, and I betcha we are still hoping Vijay can play at the B1G level. Grant Gelon in the mix too. There you have it; Two highly rated national prospect guards, and four midwest guards in our sights. 

As for Troy's replacement, we are in the top five for Michigan native Bridges (though he's unlikely), and we are the perceived leader for top 75 Lamar Stevens. We also have midwestern kids Hartman, OG, and Morgan in the mix (unless we are going to say that Nashville is the midwest but Missouri is not).

Isn't that about what you are saying you were hoping for? I'm with you on quality of coaching questions, but I still contend that recruiting a nine or ten man quality rotation, one that includes many kids from surrounding areas, will not be an issue.

You've said you're all for high quality players no matter where we get them from. We have a top 75 pure pg from Philly that is perceived to be an IU lean (Tony Carr). Also a top 50 PG/SG combo (Bruce Brown) leaning IU.  Whaddya think?

We are also in heavily on Ohio Ibi Watson, Eron Gordon, and I betcha we are still hoping Vijay can play at the B1G level. Grant Gelon in the mix too. There you have it; Two highly rated national prospect guards, and four midwest guards in our sights. 

As for Troy's replacement, we are in the top five for Michigan native Bridges (though he's unlikely), and we are the perceived leader for top 75 Lamar Stevens. We also have midwestern kids Hartman, OG, and Morgan in the mix (unless we are going to say that Nashville is the midwest but Missouri is not).

Isn't that about what you are saying you were hoping for? I'm with you on quality of coaching questions, but I still contend that recruiting a nine or ten man quality rotation, one that includes many kids from surrounding areas, will not be an issue.

I don't know a thing about the kid from Philly, so I can't comment with any intelligence, but if he's the right kind of kid, I'm all for him.   Would rather prioritize local kids, but we don't need to rehash all of that.    I like some of the midwestern kids, and I know what you're saying.   I'm not here to argue with you.  I would rather have kids from the local area than Philadelphia.   I think it matters that kids understand the lay of the land when they set foot on campus.   We'll see who we're able to actually sign and how we do in the couple of years following the coming season, and how our program builds a foundation.  The biggest problem I have is we don't seem to HAVE a foundation, and I think a lot of that is a breakdown of the local pipeline and corresponding fan interest, etc.   One man's opinion.

I don't know a thing about the kid from Philly, so I can't comment with any intelligence, but if he's the right kind of kid, I'm all for him.   Would rather prioritize local kids, but we don't need to rehash all of that.    I like some of the midwestern kids, and I know what you're saying.   I'm not here to argue with you.  I would rather have kids from the local area than Philadelphia.   I think it matters that kids understand the lay of the land when they set foot on campus.   We'll see who we're able to actually sign and how we do in the couple of years following the coming season, and how our program builds a foundation.  The biggest problem I have is we don't seem to HAVE a foundation, and I think a lot of that is a breakdown of the local pipeline and corresponding fan interest, etc.   One man's opinion.

We were having this discussion on the board a few nights ago ; that is, the discussion about recruiting for Yogi's successor.

We must be either:

A)Thinking that Rojo is a starting floor general by his junior year (I have my doubts that he's a primary ball handler)

B)Feeling pretty confident that Tony Carr or Devonte Green is the pg answer and that we're getting one of them