Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FKfootball

I'm worried about in-state recruiting.

He is a bettet coach then crea but thats not saying much. The zeller team had enough talent to still do well and i suspect this one does as well. Now winning a national title requores good coaching. That is something we will never see with crean as coach.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well we're in full agreement that we'll never see a national title with Crean. I'll go as far as to say he'll never make another Final Four, I'm fully convinced his one appearance was a total fluke.

I really don't think so.
Calipari had the most talented team to come along, maybe ever and was clearly out coached by Ryan.
And I really think he is a better coach than Crean as much as it pains me to say.
We never get the players he does so wheres that leave us?

I hate to give the sleaze ball any credit but he's actually a pretty good coach on his own right. Ryan just happens to be a really good coach.

I really think we have the pieces in place to be a very good team.

Bryant adds inside presence and Yogi's going to want to go out a winner.

This is a crucial season not just for CTC but for the programs status as well.Everyone involved has to know that.

You would think that they'll play with a chip on their shoulder.I hope so anyway.

i cant wait for the season to get here.Going to be a loooong summer.

Go Hoosiers!

I agree. I think we could see an elite 8 maybe and thats all fred glass would need to lock crean up for another 10 years. Elite 8 is as far as he will ever get though.

how do suppose we reach 30 wins and only get to the elite 8. I guess it is possible but very unlikely

how do suppose we reach 30 wins and only get to the elite 8. I guess it is possible but very unlikely

12 wins in preseason and then 14 in conference. You follow that up with 2 in the btt and 3 in the tourney. That is 31 wins.

I don't fully agree about not being able to win a championship because of a coach. I dislike Crean as much as most but sometimes a transcendent player, luck, tourney draw, injuries, chemistry configure and the stars align.

See Kevin Ollie. Crean could be as lucky. But the odds aren't in his favor.

We are far more talented than that UConn team IMO. Many teams are.

I don't fully agree about not being able to win a championship because of a coach. I dislike Crean as much as most but sometimes a transcendent player, luck, tourney draw, injuries, chemistry configure and the stars align.

See Kevin Ollie. Crean could be as lucky. But the odds aren't in his favor.

We are far more talented than that UConn team IMO. Many teams are.

We've seen it before with the run in 2002 to the final. Davis was smart enough to go along for the ride and not screw it up. Not sure Crean, being the control freak he is, could do the same.

I'm so sick of hearing about Bo Ryan. Yes he's a good coach but he has 1 championship and he had the National Player of the year and another top 20 pick on his team. And freshmen Koenig hit his stride at the right time.
I'm just saying to me the more talent out weighs a good coach.

I'm so sick of hearing about Bo Ryan. Yes he's a good coach but he has 1 championship and he had the National Player of the year and another top 20 pick on his team. And freshmen Koenig hit his stride at the right time.
I'm just saying to me the more talent out weighs a good coach.

Actually Bo Ryan has 4 national championships to his credit as a coach.

Just throwing some numbers out there to see where your bar really is.  

1)  Bo Ryan has been a head coach for 31 seasons.  In his first season, his team finished 7th in its conference.  That was in 1985.   Since then, he has 30 straight top 5 conference finishes.

2)   His teams have won 12 conference titles and finished 2nd 6 more times.   Which means his teams are either 1st or 2nd in conference 60% of the time.

3)   At WIsconsin, Bo Ryan has reached the NCAA Tournament every year - 14 times - and has lost in round one exactly once.   He has 7 Sweet 16 appearances in 14 years.

4)   He has won 71% of his conference games in the Big Ten and 73.4% of his conference games overall.   Teams that know his system and know his teams beat him less than 30% of the time, even in one of the best conferences in America.  His winning % as a head coach is 76.4%.   Better than Bob Knight.  About the same as Mike Krzyzewski,  Better than Jim Boeheim.  Better than Tom Izzo (in the Big Ten and overall).  And just a percentage point below Calipari, Dean Smith, and Roy Williams.

5)   He has never finished below 4th place in the Big Ten.   At Wisconsin.  Think about that for a minute.

He's a lot better than "a good coach."  He is historically and statistically one of the best ever, and he's done so with FAR less talent than any coach I mentioned above, save maybe Knight.    Wisconsin is in the conversation for Big Ten champion every year. What is it you're tired of?   The reality that he's much better than what we have?   I would agree there, but you can't short the guy.  Izzo has just one title, but so does Rollie Massimino.   So did Jim Valvano.  Mike Davis almost won one.   You don't have to be a great coach to win a title, and lots of the greatest coaches ever have won one or never won at all.   Lou Carnesecca, for example won more games percentage wise than Knight did, but he never won a title.   Where's your bar?

Bo Ryan is a marvelous recruiter.  No, he doesn't always have top talent, but he recruits kids who can and do succeed in his system, and he does it year after year after year.   He knows how to build a program that wins no matter who the pieces are, and that's the mark of a fantastic coach.   Winning titles takes so much more than most people ever credit.  Kentucky had by far the most talent this season, and they didn't win it.    

Definitely NOT too long a read. That post was AWESOME,

Damn, Bo Ryan is good.

I guess I'm the only one that values Championships. I don't care if you average 28 wins a year for 10 years and someone else averages 20 and they have 1 championship to me they had a better decade.

You must really want Crean gone then

I guess I'm the only one that values Championships. I don't care if you average 28 wins a year for 10 years and someone else averages 20 and they have 1 championship to me they had a better decade.

I want championships. Calipari gets UK championships. I'll take a Bo Ryan type Wisky run over Calipati's championships any day. As far as I'm concerned the value of the championship depends on how you went about getting it.