Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2017) SG Al Durham Jr. to IU

EYBL has a 5-game event this weekend in Atlanta.

5/28 – Beat All Ohio Red 84 – 77.  16 pts. on 6 of 14 FG’s; 0 for 4 on 3’s; 4 of 7 FT’s; 2 reb; 9 assists; 4 TO’s; 0 stls; 0 blks.

Collin Sexton:  35 pts. on 7 of 21 FG’s; 1 of 8 on 3’s; 20 of 24 FT’s; 2 reb; 0 assists; 2 TO’s 1 stl; 0 blks.

5/28 – Lost to Mac Irvin Fire 79 – 76.  18 pts. on 6 of 16 FG’s 2 of 6 on 3’s; 4 of 6 FT’s; 6 reb; 4 assists; 2 TO’s; 0 stl; 0 blk.

Collin Sexton:  34 pts. on 10 of 12 FG’s; 3 of 5 on 3’s; 11 of 14 FT’s; 3 reb; 1 assist; 6 TO’s; 1 stl; 0 blk.

5/29 – Beat Georgia Stars 85 – 83.  8 pts. on 3 of 7 FG’s; 0 for 1 on 3’s; 2 of 2 FT’s; 4 reb; 1 assist; 8 TO’s; 0 stl; 0 blk.

Collin Sexton:  44 pts. on 12 of 22 FG’s; 2 of 4 on 3’s; 18 of 20 FT’s; 10 reb; 1 assist; 2 TO’s; 3 stl; 0 b0k.  

I'll post season-to-date numbers tomorrow afternoon but Durham's shooting % is pretty poor - through 15 games this spring he's only 33% from the field and 26% on his 3's.  Sexton is 45% and 32% respectively plus Sexton hits 90% of his FT's.

2016 AAU Season To Date.  Because I've also been including Collin Sexton's stats, I'll post Sexton's 16 game averages first and then the details of Durham's season thus far.

Sexton:  31.7 ppg on 46% shooting from the field; 33% on 3's; and 90% from the foul line.  Also averaging 5 rebounds; 2 assists; 3 turnovers and 1 steal per game.  Sexton gets to the line a lot as in 10 of his 16 games, he's been in double figures just from the free throw stripe.

Durham's Stats.  As I pointed out in my previous post, his shooting % leaves a lot to be desired.

Date Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks.
4/16 19 5 17 2 5 7 8 6 1 3 0 0
4/16 10 4 13 1 3 1 3 6 5 5 1 0
4/17 11 3 10 2 6 3 6 7 0 2 1 0
4/22 12 4 22 0 4 0 0 3 0 2 1 0
4/23 5 2 13 0 5 0 0 5 2 2 0 0
4/23 29 7 13 3 6 12 18 3 4 2 0 0
4/24 10 4 7 1 3 0 0 6 7 4 0 0
5/13 22 6 17 1 4 9 10 9 6 1 4 0
5/14 19 4 13 2 4 9 14 8 5 1 0 0
5/14 19 6 12 2 4 5 6 4 1 4 1 0
5/15 25 7 24 1 10 10 10 3 1 4 4 0
5/28 16 6 14 0 4 4 7 2 9 4 0 0
5/28 18 6 16 2 6 3 4 6 4 2 0 0
5/29 8 3 7 0 1 2 2 4 1 8 0 0
5/29 12 2 11 1 4 7 9 6 2 1 0 0
5/30 4 1 8 0 3 2 2 6 8 3 0 0
Avg 14.9 32%   25%   75%   5 4 3 1  

On 5/29/2016 at 7:06 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Sexton is a stud. No debate. A volume shooter and driver. +50% fg%. +80 ft%. Putting the team in his shoulders. His FG% has been solid all along.

Reminds me of Nigel Williams Goss and Stan Robinson. Stan was thought to be good until he shared a backcourt with Goss. Then everyone knew Goss was the player. Ratings went in opposite directions.

Did I mention I hate early signings??

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well I hope this comparison doesn't pan out. I'm  worried about this one. Hope we didnt blow a scholly here.

Well I hope this comparison doesn't pan out. I'm  worried about this one. Hope we didnt blow a scholly here.

Don't think it's a blown scholarship but I do think we could have done better. I haven't seen enough live tape or games to get a great judge but the scouts aren't enamored. Sexton is clearly the go to player on the team. Good size for a guard. Good athleticism. Just really hate early signings on mid level talent.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Don't think it's a blown scholarship but I do think we could have done better. I haven't seen enough live tape or games to get a great judge but the scouts aren't enamored. Sexton is clearly the go to player on the team. Good size for a guard. Good athleticism. Just really hate early signings on mid level talent.

Well when you're throwing out scholarships like candy at a parade...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

This thread is pathetic smh

How do you guys know? It's so much that goes into it beyond on the court stuff. IU clearly fell in love with Al Durham the person. Doesn't hurt that he's a hell of a player

Screw Sexton. Small as hell. How do you guys know he would be a fit at IU? Because he makes a lot of shots in EYBL? Lol Jesus Christ

2 hours ago, X-Hoosier said:

Crean is addicted in trying to find "diamonds in the rough" and it is getting dangerous IMO.

I will agree with this 100%!! As nice as Sheehey, Oladipo, OG are and were it seems like Crean is obsessed with continuly going for the next one. At IU we shouldn't have a problem at least getting top 100-150 kids as the worst case scenario. Holt could be thrown in as well I guess. Putting one kid as a #2 pick and OG a potential 1st has swayed him into an obsession lol. I don't mind it if we have great players like we do now to live with a miss, but next year we may be in a different position. I believe in Crean though so we will see how things pan out just don't want to keep wasting schollys.

32 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

I will agree with this 100%!! As nice as Sheehey, Oladipo, OG are and were it seems like Crean is obsessed with continuly going for the next one. At IU we shouldn't have a problem at least getting top 100-150 kids as the worst case scenario. Holt could be thrown in as well I guess. Putting one kid as a #2 pick and OG a potential 1st has swayed him into an obsession lol. I don't mind it if we have great players like we do now to live with a miss, but next year we may be in a different position. I believe in Crean though so we will see how things pan out just don't want to keep wasting schollys.

He said on the new video from Huber Farms he'd always take a guy that was still improving over a finished product. I think the point being he's not interested in players that have reached their potential.  

You can also add Zeisloft and to a certain extent Max Beilfeldt to the list of diamonds in the rough. Remember, Nick Z was a five point a game two-year role player at Illinois State, and after two years at Indiana he's getting a workout with the Dallas Mavericks.

7 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

I think it's most likely a holdover from how he had to recruit in the past. Until you're in with the top players and an obvious "big boy" you need to figure out how to recruit the less heralded prospects. In order to maximize success there, you find diamonds in the rough. If they aren't a diamond, you can always throw them back in a season or two. Now that we're more consistently in with higher level prospects, it's less necessary and either Crean will fade it out or get stuck in it and it will destroy him.

I think it's most likely a holdover from how he had to recruit in the past. Until you're in with the top players and an obvious "big boy" you need to figure out how to recruit the less heralded prospects. In order to maximize success there, you find diamonds in the rough. If they aren't a diamond, you can always throw them back in a season or two. Now that we're more consistently in with higher level prospects, it's less necessary and either Crean will fade it out or get stuck in it and it will destroy him.

I think this is fair. Crean is better than the average Joe at finding the "diamonds" but it's clearly a riskier tactic. That being said, Durham fits in this category. Coaches son. Tall and long for a guard. Apparently a great kid (madabout says). The jury will be out for a while here. I understand what Creans sees as potential here but his performance does not inspire the greatest confidence. Madabout doesn't care about AAU performance.

My experience is great players excel at all levels. Durham was the 2nd go to player on his AAU team. That isn't bad. His teammate was breaking records . It makes sense. He will more than likely be a solid player.

He said on the new video from Huber Farms he'd always take a guy that was still improving over a finished product. I think the point being he's not interested in players that have reached their potential.  

You're not getting finished products in the Top 30.