Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

IUFB Announces Reconciliation with "IU 10"

11129169.jpeg

The Story.

In 1969 ten African-American members of the Indiana University football team boycotted the last three games of the season because the coaching staff would not adequately address their concerns about unequal treatment on the basis of race. Coach John Pont allowed the players to keep their scholarships. Earlier this year, Mr. Adams led an effort to reach out to Indiana University, through President Michael McRobbie's office, to address issues lingering from the 1969 boycott by the players who later became known as the "IU 10".

In response, the president's office embraced this opportunity and invited all surviving members of the IU 10 to Bloomington to meet with senior university officials to hear their concerns and to explore ways they might be addressed. These meetings were quickly arranged and took place on campus in early April.

Five of the eight surviving members of the IU 10 attended: Mr. Adams; Charlie Murphy; Benny Norman; Clarence Price; and Don Silas. Gordon May, Greg Harvey, and Larry Highbaugh did not attend. Sadly, Greg Thaxton and Bobby Pernell are deceased. Also attending on behalf of the IU 10 was Trish Geran, activist and author, who served as special advisor to Mr. Adams. Representing the university in these meetings were: James Wimbush, Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs and Dean of University Graduate School; Fred Glass, Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics; Kurt Zorn, Associate Vice-Provost and Faculty Athletics Representative; Clarence Boone, Jr., Alumni Relations Officer and Director of Diversity Programs, Indiana University Alumni Association; Anthony Thompson, Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Wellness & Performance and Sport Administrator for Football; Mattie White, Associate Athletic Director for Academic Services/Excellence Academy and Senior Woman Administrator; and Mark Deal, Assistant Athletic Director for Alumni Relations.

Any attempt to bridge the gap of race relations is honorable to me. I was a "minority", as a white person, in middle and High school in the schools I attended. I learned so much through that experience. I witness racism on so many levels.

Always happy to find others that view the world like me. We may all be different, but we are all equal. Each race has its good and bad seeds. These past few years in the U.S. have been horrible for race relations regarding police responses (my views on that are strong and varied). My biggest hope during the Obama administration was for improved race relations. It really didn't happen, and if anything it went the other direction.

These causes are excellent!

Things on this board have been very neutral to positive about Crean since the Bryant/Yogi/Williams/Blackmon news.

Those of us who have doubts are obliged to have these doubts and share them in appropriate threads at appropriate times. You are doing neither in your defense.

Rather than sabotaging these other threads, start a "Praise Crean" thread and remind us of all his good qualities. 90% of the posters here know these qualities already but you would still be better served.

Things on this board have been very neutral to positive about Crean since the Bryant/Yogi/Williams/Blackmon news.

Those of us who have doubts are obliged to have these doubts and share them in appropriate threads at appropriate times. You are doing neither in your defense.

Rather than sabotaging these other threads, start a "Praise Crean" thread and remind us of all his good qualities. 90% of the posters here know these qualities already but you would still be better served.

I've been as critical and outspoken on my feelings regarding Crean as anyone on this board, and really they haven't changed, and even I'm not going to put those feelings in this kind of thread.

Any attempt to bridge the gap of race relations is honorable to me. I was a "minority", as a white person, in middle and High school in the schools I attended. I learned so much through that experience. I witness racism on so many levels.

Always happy to find others that view the world like me. We may all be different, but we are all equal. Each race has its good and bad seeds. These past few years in the U.S. have been horrible for race relations regarding police responses (my views on that are strong and varied). My biggest hope during the Obama administration was for improved race relations. It really didn't happen, and if anything it went the other direction.

These causes are excellent!