Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FindEndNow

Does "This is Indiana" really have pull anymore?

You're speaking as if Bobby Knight is still around and it's 1984. Well it isn't. The one and done era needs to be embraced by this coaching staff(if it is around long enough). No reason to shy away from great players. No reason Indiana isn't recruiting the absolute best of the best. That is what's put Indiana where it is now. Not being able to recruit the best and that started with Knight not being able to change and keep up in the mid 90's.

No, I'm not.  I'm speaking as if I give a damn about the quality of basketball being taught and played at Indiana.   The best of the best?  That's what Randy Wittman was?  That's what Ted Kitchell was?  That's what Daryl Thomas was?  That's what Brian Evans was?  That's what Greg Graham was?  (You can give me Cheaney, Alford, etc....but then tell me where those kids were from and tell me how they played.   Then....go watch Wisconsin and tell me what you see)   We can go after top kids; but Crean has a bench full of dad weight every year because he doesn't do well building teams or finding kids who don't always need the ball or who know how to get open or play defense, etc.   The importance of that didn't go away in 1984; and if you look around the country at teams like Gonzaga, Wichita State, Notre Dame this season....who move people, move the ball, guard, and rebound aggressively; you'll find a bunch of winners.   Just have to laugh at your comment.

YOU are speaking as if you think Indiana is just like everyone else.   And...well...it isn't.  Indiana is not paying top college basketball money for a guy to finish 7th in the Big Ten and be just like everyone else.   Bad basketball is bad basketball; and if you DON'T have the best players year after year - and we don't, you need to play a game that can beat teams that do.  Sort of like.....what Wisconsin did.  You can look for a while and let me know the number of top 10 recruiting classes they've had.  And....all they do is win.  Bo Ryan's been at Wisconsin 14 seasons.   Never finished below 4th in the Big Ten; won it 4 times; been in the NCAA Tournament all 14 years and has ONE first round loss to go along with 7 Sweet 16's.   Meanwhile....at Indiana.....

No, I'm not. I'm speaking as if I give a damn about the quality of basketball being taught and played at Indiana. The best of the best? That's what Randy Wittman was? That's what Ted Kitchell was? That's what Daryl Thomas was? That's what Brian Evans was? That's what Greg Graham was? (You can give me Cheaney, Alford, etc....but then tell me where those kids were from and tell me how they played. Then....go watch Wisconsin and tell me what you see) We can go after top kids; but Crean has a bench full of dad weight every year because he doesn't do well building teams or finding kids who don't always need the ball or who know how to get open or play defense, etc. The importance of that didn't go away in 1984; and if you look around the country at teams like Gonzaga, Wichita State, Notre Dame this season....who move people, move the ball, guard, and rebound aggressively; you'll find a bunch of winners. Just have to laugh at your comment.

YOU are speaking as if you think Indiana is just like everyone else. And...well...it isn't. Indiana is not paying top college basketball money for a guy to finish 7th in the Big Ten and be just like everyone else. Bad basketball is bad basketball; and if you DON'T have the best players year after year - and we don't, you need to play a game that can beat teams that do. Sort of like.....what Wisconsin did. You can look for a while and let me know the number of top 10 recruiting classes they've had. And....all they do is win. Bo Ryan's been at Wisconsin 14 seasons. Never finished below 4th in the Big Ten; won it 4 times; been in the NCAA Tournament all 14 years and has ONE first round loss to go along with 7 Sweet 16's. Meanwhile....at Indiana.....

You're gave examples of Randy Wittman, Ted Kitchell and Brian Evans.. all players under Knight lol. Those guys played forever ago. It is 2015. It is a different time. Bobby Knight is no longer around. We wouldn't be in a good place if Knight was still somehow coaching. It was very apparent at the end of his IU career that he couldn't keep up on recruiting.

No, I'm not. I'm speaking as if I give a damn about the quality of basketball being taught and played at Indiana. The best of the best? That's what Randy Wittman was? That's what Ted Kitchell was? That's what Daryl Thomas was? That's what Brian Evans was? That's what Greg Graham was? (You can give me Cheaney, Alford, etc....but then tell me where those kids were from and tell me how they played. Then....go watch Wisconsin and tell me what you see) We can go after top kids; but Crean has a bench full of dad weight every year because he doesn't do well building teams or finding kids who don't always need the ball or who know how to get open or play defense, etc. The importance of that didn't go away in 1984; and if you look around the country at teams like Gonzaga, Wichita State, Notre Dame this season....who move people, move the ball, guard, and rebound aggressively; you'll find a bunch of winners. Just have to laugh at your comment.

YOU are speaking as if you think Indiana is just like everyone else. And...well...it isn't. Indiana is not paying top college basketball money for a guy to finish 7th in the Big Ten and be just like everyone else. Bad basketball is bad basketball; and if you DON'T have the best players year after year - and we don't, you need to play a game that can beat teams that do. Sort of like.....what Wisconsin did. You can look for a while and let me know the number of top 10 recruiting classes they've had. And....all they do is win. Bo Ryan's been at Wisconsin 14 seasons. Never finished below 4th in the Big Ten; won it 4 times; been in the NCAA Tournament all 14 years and has ONE first round loss to go along with 7 Sweet 16's. Meanwhile....at Indiana.....

This is about the branding of IU. Please stay on topic and refrain from turning this thread into your personal soapbox for your vendetta against Crean

This is about the branding of IU. Please stay on topic and refrain from turning this thread into your personal soapbox for your vendetta against Crean

This is nothing against Crean. This is against you thinking we can still recruit like it's 1985 again.

I don't, nor did I quote your post

He was absolutely right.   There are a TON of posts just within the last 10 days that get off topic.   Why are you so concerned with any one in particular?   Crean's the one doing the recruiting right now, so he's sort of relevant to the conversation and he hasn't exactly done a great job.

He was absolutely right. There are a TON of posts just within the last 10 days that get off topic. Why are you so concerned with any one in particular? Crean's the one doing the recruiting right now, so he's sort of relevant to the conversation and he hasn't exactly done a great job.

Easy killer. You know us. You know if there is something you aren't liking to send a PM. This wouldn't be the best way to handle it. You guys got your discussion going. Some aspects of that have been beaten to death is what the other mod was trying to get at. Don't make it a personal thing cause he doesn't know who you are. We are trying to let all mods develop their own opinions of different people.

Easy killer. You know us. You know if there is something you aren't liking to send a PM. This wouldn't be the best way to handle it. You guys got your discussion going. Some aspects of that have been beaten to death is what the other mod was trying to get at. Don't make it a personal thing cause he doesn't know who you are. We are trying to let all mods develop their own opinions of different people.

Okay....   Nobody likes to be singled out.   I think it's a little difficult to discuss "branding" of our basketball program if talking about the guy in charge of it is taboo; yet certainly didn't intend anything personal.  Just wondered...

I get tickled by the people----especially those in opposing fanbases----- who claim we have become a mid-major program. In reality they envy us and like to see us have down years.  Maybe our winning percentage has become mid-majorish of late--- but we are certainly not a mid-major program.  Our fanbase and facilities and tradition are second to none and mid-majors don't regularly reel in top 20 recruiting classes like we do year after year--- or have multiple first round draft picks in the pros. McDonald 's All-Americans regularly come here and don't usually go to mid-majors.  We are still an ELITE program---but we have to start winning at an elite clip NOW or a coaching change must and will be made. It has to start and continue this next season.  After all---This Is Indiana! :biggrin:

I agree with you, to a certain extent. I think we are much more than a mid-major program, despite our winning percentages. I would put us as a top 25 program, but no longer with the rest of the ELITE/Blue blood programs.  Whats keeping us relative is the history, fans, and support.

of course I could be totally misunderstanding your post if it's just a matter of semantics when it comes to what you consider "Elite" xD. When I think elite, I think annual final four contenders, top 1 or 2 of conference every season... etc

Just looking for an appropriate thread to share this. On game show 500 questions, a question was who was the last D1 NCAA to win a National Championship after going undefeated.

We clearly know the answer. (Wish I could find video)

Guys response who fancies himself a basketball fan: Michigan St, Michigan, Duke, UNC, UCLA, ummm, Arizona State, Stanford.

Wow!!!

I will not give him that pass. If he was Kevin Ollie then I'd give him a pass because then he'd be in his 2nd year.

Kevin Ollie is Mike Davis 2.0. Let's revisit this in 5 years.