Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rebelhoosier848891

UM Graduate Transfer Max Bielfeldt To IU

Put a cape on him and tell you he's going to be great? Who said that? We're talking about a guy who would play 10-15 mins a game at the most. Backing up Bryant and probably Holt. You act like everyone is saying he's the next Cody Zeller! Even if he doesn't contribute at all who cares! He's only filling a spot for 1 year and DD and HMP aren't coming back. I'd rather roll the dice with this kid than an April or Priller.

The cape comment comes from several years of experience with some IU fans who just jump all over a kid because he said yes.   Some threads about Bawa Muniru on old chat boards are all anyone needs to see.    Mike White was labeled "Kong" and a huge difference maker..  On and on.   Not quoting anybody, simply making the point that because some big kid says yes doesn't make him a good fit or a player who can help.  And you act like he automatically adds "quality depth" because he's big.   If he doesn't fit the system, he doesn't.   He just adds a body.    No question he's likely better than April, and probably better defensively than Priller.   And I'm not saying he's going to be bad.   Just saying I'm not sure his game fits the system or Bobby Capobianco would have had a nice career at Indiana.

two words....

1)ROLE ....

2)PLAYER

Every team needs them.....

Every team that utilizes role players needs them.   Not sure a team that never sets screens off the ball and doesn't play help defense well at all needs role players.   Every Knight team needed role players.   Not sure I think Crean's teams do....we sure haven't had very many.

The cape comment comes from several years of experience with some IU ump all over a kid because he said yes.   Some threads about Bawa Muniru on old chat boards are all anyone needs to see.    Mike White was labeled "Kong" and a huge difference maker..  On and on.   Not quoting anybody, simply making the point that because some big kid says yes doesn't make him a good fit or a player who can help.  And you act like he automatically adds "quality depth" because he's big.   If he doesn't fit the system, he doesn't.   He just adds a body.    No question he's likely better than April, and probably better defensively than Priller.   And I'm not saying he's going to be bad.   Just saying I'm not sure his game fits the system or Bobby Capobianco would have had a nice career at Indiana.

Why do you keep comparing Max to players that aren't him....responding to posts that weren't made....being condescending to people who aren't posting these things here....?

Max is Max.  He's not Mike White.    We're happy to be adding a player in an area of need. 

Every team that utilizes role players needs them. Not sure a team that never sets screens off the ball and doesn't play help defense well at all needs role players. Every Knight team needed role players. Not sure I think Crean's teams do....we sure haven't had very many.

i agree with much of what you say but weren't Hartman and Ziesloft role players last year? I am not as enamored about this addition as others but I do like the fact it's a 1 year commitment with no downside, albeit limited upside.

Wow---imo this is such a no brainer---I saw Dakich's tweet that any team would be lucky to grab him as a starter and a great person---but for me the obvious reason is Max would be an experienced ONE YEAR INSURANCE POLICY if something happened to Bryant or Holt and could give us minutes when they get in foul trouble. You don't have to be "flashy" to get the job done. We'd be fortunate to get a late pick-up like this. He already showed the ability to get 9 rebounds against MSU in limited minutes and would arguably be just as productive as an inconsistent Hanner or a still recovering Davis. Sign him up.

And did I forget to say---IT'S FOR ONE YEAR! Step away from the ledge...no real down side here!

This!!!!!!!!!!

The discussion in this thread is exactly the same as the discussion when we signed NZ last year. You never know what the ultimate impact is and I think most of us agree that we wish we were bringing in another 6'11" player who could potentially start. But given the time of year that just isn't happening. The fact is we just lost 2 of our big men I think this is a great way to replace them.

I don't think it is really the same. Last year we needed a big and we signed two guys that were obvious reaches and a shooter. We really did not necc need a shooter but rather we needed a big that could offset guys like Purdue's frontline.

So there was legitimate concern last year because despite NZs good year we still needed a big far more than another shooter.

That being said, I am fine with bringing Max on.

Smart move by Coach to have Zeisloft and Hartman meet with him/show him around-----Z3 can give him the grad transfer perspective and how he can find a role and playing time through hard work. Max is supposed to be a hustler and play with desire and heart like Hartman (Max won UM's 6th man award and the University's spirit award)---so he and Hartman match up personality-wise as well. 

Also nice to see a player like Max who even as a 5th year senior commented he liked how Crean planned to push him to improve his game--- and I liked his comments on how he respects the IU tradition and likes the idea of playing for a top notch team next year.  He's left The Hall with some losses while playing for Michigan so he knows what our crazy fan base is like.

We will soon see if it's enough.