Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rebelhoosier848891

UM Graduate Transfer Max Bielfeldt To IU

Interesting development and I could get behind this recruitment. A big body to help up front and another good team leader like Zeisloft. He won the spirit award at UM and helped develop UM's young bigs. Had several double figure games---9 boards against Michigan State and Nebraska in back to back games.  I think he's about 6'8" and 220+ and already has a degree in Kinesiology. He was hampered by injuries early in his UM career and had surgery---hip/labrum before last season and his production last season was much better and he considers himself healthy again.  He's from Peoria, Illinois. He could hold his own at the 4 or if Bryant got in foul trouble.

Michigan tried to stop him from transferring within conference but he appealed it and won a favorable ruling from the Big Ten Conference. He would be eligible immediately.

Reports are listing him at 6'8" and 245 pounds----with averages of 5.1 points and 3.6 rebounds per game in 14.5 minutes of action per game.  He also was on Michigan's good teams including the final four team (only played about a minute in the semifinal) but that experience could be helpful for our intended final four run next season.  On a humorous note---he apparently has twitter accounts from UM fans dedicated to his calves because they are so large and Dakich has commented on them during televised games. Seems like a good kid and in the interviews I saw he was always talking about team unity and helping the team.  We could use a little of that right now. Not the best athlete---not a shot-blocker----but I read several accounts about him playing with desire and hustle.

Well this isn't going to help the relationship between the two programs....especially if Michigan tried to stop him from transferring within conference.

Now it's our chance to wreck THEIR program!

This is the way rivalries go----maybe they will go after DD or Hanner! :punish:

Bielfeldt has already visited Nebraska and I hear Illinois has interest too.  Iowa State and DePaul also want him and reading between the lines Iowa State is the early leader as he said he really enjoyed his visit there with Hoiberg. Of course, that's before he comes to Btown and experiences the magic that is Indiana University.  We have a chance ANYTIME we get a potential recruit on campus!

What makes Iowa State so appealing to transfers? Seriously, every time a notable player is transferring, Iowa State is mentioned.

Hoiberg takes anyone and everyone, plays an NBA style, and has moderate success. Seems like one of his top players the last 3 years has been a transfer.

Does anyone know why he's transferring? Why not just stay at Michigan?!

Reading between the lines----it seems he was told early on he was not guaranteed a scholly for the grad school year so he started looking around----and it seems he felt he was "Beileined" because they have some BIG from overseas that they are waiting on to get qualified and when LeVert came back there was no more room for him. It sounds like they expected him to walk-on. A little chip on the shoulder can often result in extra motivation! I read through some comments from their fans and many of them hate to see him go because he was a solid contributor and hustled.