Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hyzy

Devin Davis cited for marijuana possession

Hanner and a few others seem to lack common sense. Once you have been busted, you have to learn from it and stay on the straight and narrow. These kids get busted and then turn around and do it again. Doesn't make them bad kids, but they aren't scared and aren't learning. Say what you want but that is on Crean

A life-threatening or career-ending injury that was, let's say, "more probable or not" a result of two people on this team messing around and illegally using substances they weren't supposed to be using. DD is already pretty much a guy who should be talking at high school convocations about the dangers of underage drinking...and HMP was just lucky he got pulled over before getting in a situation where he'd end up as a presenter at "Scared Straight - The IU Basketball Edition." Are these guys trying to bring back "After School Specials" or what?!? I guess we have Exhibits A and B for "This is your brain on drugs..." because the decision-making here is pretty questionable. These are repeat offenders - not just based on rumors or secret-IU-drug-tests, but by actual incidents where the POLICE had to get involved.

Once again, not the purpose of my post.

When you're a leader of young (wo)men you have to take emotion out of it. I'm not sure the current "leader" is capable of that. Obviously the super secret punishments haven't been working properly or we would have multiple repeat offenders. Who that has been in trouble hasn't been a repeat offender... (Holt) and he received a solid 4 game suspension for his first offense.

That is a great mentality. Now go and be the one who leads without emotion. I'm just saying its a lot harder than many here are implying.

Hanner and a few others seem to lack common sense. Once you have been busted, you have to learn from it and stay on the straight and narrow. These kids get busted and then turn around and do it again. Doesn't make them bad kids, but they aren't scared and aren't learning. Say what you want but that is on Crean

I agreed with everything until your last sentence. It's on them. If you don't learn when someone is teaching, it's on you. Plain and simple.

I agreed with everything until your last sentence. It's on them. If you don't learn when someone is teaching, it's on you. Plain and simple.

i think that is the point. Crean isn't getting the message across. Thus not teaching. I actually think that crean has allowed too much slacking even before this incident.

i think that is the point. Crean isn't getting the message across. Thus not teaching. I actually think that crean has allowed too much slacking even before this incident.

Communication, as well as teaching and learning, is a two way street. Many here are criticizing the character and judgement of these players, and then also wondering why Crean can't lead. The failure is on all parties.

Communication, as well as teaching and leaning, is a two way street. Many here are criticizing the character and judgement of these players, and then also wondering why Crean can't lead. The failure is on all parties.

Would you say there is a trend of IU players getting in trouble with the law or NCAA for substance abuse? Where would the IU program rank in the B1G with arrests/citations over the last year to year and a half?

The discipline on the court reflects the discipline, or lack thereof, off the court.

Would you say there is a trend of IU players getting in trouble with the law or NCAA for substance abuse? Where would the IU program rank in the B1G with arrests/citations over the last year to year and a half?

The discipline on the court reflects the discipline, or lack thereof, off the court.

I don't have numbers on citations/arrests of other programs, so I have no idea.

U just keep making excuses.

good teachers are respected and find ways to teach/inspire/reprimand students in a way that has an impact on them. Whatever Crean is doing isn't working. You know the definition of stupid; he needs to change something with his approach with these kids

Edit: agreeing with you here obviously

This is my question as well. How many more of these type incidents til you clean house? 1more? 2 more? 5more?

Heard an interesting take yesterday.  The first episode is a kid's problem.  A second becomes the coach's problem.  All after that become the administration's problem; and the basketball program has had 6 issues in the last 18 months.    This is now a university problem, and Crean obviously doesn't have control of his kids or their behavior.   At Indiana, basketball players are expected to act differently than normal college kids.   Just like at Notre Dame, football players are expected to act differently.   Same with basketball at Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina.   If this were the basketball program at Clemson, nobody really cares or looks twice.   This is not Clemson.  Maybe Crean is a better fit when he's not in a fishbowl and does not have high expectations; but he clearly does not have control over the kids in his program and at some point, enough is enough.   That said, if Michael McRobbie doesn't understand that and doesn't care, Fred Glass isn't going to be held accountable, and therefore, neither is Tom Crean.    I find that sad.

This is not "other programs," so I don't think it matters what the numbers are at Kansas State or Minnesota.   Indiana is either a special program or it isn't.   And if it isn't to Michael McRobbie or Fred Glass, then it's probably time for fans to re-evaluate their passion.   I like Devin Davis.  I really want to give the kid a chance.  However, he needs to be held accountable.  And Tom Crean needs to be held accountable.  This just keeps happening....and it's not okay.   I said last month that if Indiana can't get Brad Stevens, they might as well keep Tom Crean for the time being.  However, with yet one more drug episode, I no longer feel that way.   I don't like him as a coach, and I have no respect for him as a leader.   Yes, he's done some nice things.  But you cannot be "in charge" and looked at as a responsible, positive leader if your kids don't respect their place on campus and the expectations placed on them.   Indiana's players clearly do not, and I don't care if Victor Oladipo says he loves Tom Crean or not.

I like to think of the situation in perhaps a more positive light, and I started to put together a few scenarios that would make this event "less bad"...

It's the very first week of the summer session and basketball is quite a ways away, drug tests usually administered closer to the start of the season are awhile off, and most of the students in the Union street apartments have already moved out.  I'd like to think that Devin takes his basketball seriously at IU and doesn't want to jeopardize it when closer to or during the season.  I'm assuming that if a basketball player were to smoke weed, it would be at this point of the year, with less people around and possibly no drug tests until near the start of next basketball season.  Adorning my rosy glasses now, i'll give Devin the benefit of the doubt that this instance wasn't the norm for him and that things conspired against him in the worst way at that moment when he was doing something he really should not have been doing. I'd like to think that this was a one-off event for Devin and only happens at the beginning of summer (when their schedule allows for it and perceived consequences are lower). 

Also, didn't the report say that someone outside of the building smelled weed smoke?  if any of you have been to the union street apartments where this went down... there are TON of windows on this thing.  Unless the individual who smelled the weed had also seen smoke coming out of a window before it dissipated, then it would be nearly impossible to tell where it's coming from. 

I'm wondering how someone outside the building was able to determine where the smell was coming from first off, then also, what possessed them to go out of their way to enter the building and locate the room and bust whoever inside.  Obviously it's illegal, so the actions taken were legitimate, but i'd argue that most police officers wouldn't go out of their way for a weed smell on campus unless it was blatantly obvious where it was coming from. 

Could the police have investigated the weed smell outside those dorms more carefully knowing that it could possibly be the basketball players and they could have a high profile citation or arrest?

Edit: this is purely thought diarrhea right now and i'm just typing it out as i think it.  Just food for thought and a different perspective.  I'm not personally defending Devin's actions or criticizing our law enforcement, as they do a great job.

I don't have numbers on citations/arrests of other programs, so I have no idea.

Not sure how accurate this site is, but here is a link for such stats. You will see Yogi and others listed. Arrest is not accurate in regards to some, only citations were issued - still wrong. 

http://arrestnation.com/2015-stats/ 

I like to think of the situation in perhaps a more positive light, and I started to put together a few scenarios that would make this event "less bad"...

It's the very first week of the summer session and basketball is quite a ways away, drug tests usually administered closer to the start of the season are awhile off, and most of the students in the Union street apartments have already moved out.  I'd like to think that Devin takes his basketball seriously at IU and doesn't want to jeopardize it when closer to or during the season.  I'm assuming that if a basketball player were to smoke weed, it would be at this point of the year, with less people around and possibly no drug tests until near the start of next basketball season.  Adorning my rosy glasses now, i'll give Devin the benefit of the doubt that this instance wasn't the norm for him and that things conspired against him in the worst way at that moment when he was doing something he really should not have been doing. I'd like to think that this was a one-off event for Devin and only happens at the beginning of summer (when their schedule allows for it and perceived consequences are lower). 

Also, didn't the report say that someone outside of the building smelled weed smoke?  if any of you have been to the union street apartments where this went down... there are TON of windows on this thing.  Unless the individual who smelled the weed had also seen smoke coming out of a window before it dissipated, then it would be nearly impossible to tell where it's coming from. 

I'm wondering how someone outside the building was able to determine where the smell was coming from first off, then also, what possessed them to go out of their way to enter the building and locate the room and bust whoever inside.  Obviously it's illegal, so the actions taken were legitimate, but i'd argue that most police officers wouldn't go out of their way for a weed smell on campus unless it was blatantly obvious where it was coming from. 

Could the police have investigated the weed smell outside those dorms more carefully knowing that it could possibly be the basketball players and they could have a high profile citation or arrest?

Edit: this is purely thought diarrhea right now and i'm just typing it out as i think it.  Just food for thought and a different perspective.  I'm not personally defending Devin's actions or criticizing our law enforcement, as they do a great job.

I would imagine the investigating officer may have detected the odor outside the building and subsequently narrowed it down to a specific room once inside the building. 

I believe the NCAA test year round. Dollars to donuts the team or certain team members were just recently tested which lead someone to believe they were in the clear to partake.