Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierReb01

Typical ESPN crapola

I think you're going out of your way to discredit the progress that has been made by CKW with this program. I agree, the results are not consistently there, but there have been plenty of positives recently.

What progress.  Easier schedule fewer wins. 

Umm hate to break it to ya but IUs football team was a complete joke they played a cakewalk schedule and still got their asses spanked six ways to sunday.  They gave up over 40 points 6 times last year.  Wilson hasn't built crap in his 4 years.  You say Lynch left him with a gimmick team.  Guess what they were last year and the 3 years prior.  A GIMMICK TEAM. 

Just a reference Lynch's last year we allowed 410 yards a game. 

Wilsons 4 years 459, 464, 528 and 434. 

So you say Lynchs teams sucked because he didn't recruit defense.  So what does that say about Wilson he recruits defensive players and his defenses are even worse. 

Just checked Lynchs worst defensive teams had 432 yards per game allowed.  Lynchs worst was better than Wilson best. 

IU's football season was over the second Sudfeld separated his shoulder. Outside of Coleman, the offense literally couldn't move the ball, and as a result the defense was on the field more than they should have been and in terrible starting field position a lot of the time.

Knorr made a lot of improvements with the defense last year. Tackling technique, gap filling, pass rushing were all improved, and that was while implementing a completely new scheme. Again, it takes time to build a defense. The talent Wilson has recruited on that end were true freshmen in the 528 year, they were 19 last year. Wilson had no one on defense when he took over, and yes that is Lynch's fault. Lynch also benefited from the players Hep brought in did little to sustain what he started with. This isn't a video game where you get one talented defensive player and he single handidly shuts down an opponent's offense. Depth is crucial to CFB defense. Why do you think Penn State and USC tailed off when they got sanctioned, even though they still brought in four and five star talent on defense? Because they had no depth. IU is bringing in talent, but it takes several successive classes to parlay that into actual results.

The numbers aren't as relevant as the direction the program goes in. Wilson's team is trending upwards, Lynch's teams plateaud at the bottom of the conference after 07. This team is very close to being semi-relevant in the conference. I know that's an idiotic sounding statement, but for IUFB that is progress. There's promise in this team, and I think we've brought in a pretty good d-coordinator whose scheme will alleviate some of the deficencies that were stuck with.

Talent wise and trajectory wise, the defense WIlson is now fielding is incomparable to what IU used to have under Lynch. We have four-star talent on the defensive line an an Army AA playing safety. That's a long way from Richard Council, Chris Adkins, and Matt Ernest covering division 1 receivers. 

You want to talk about Lynch's last year? We had an NFL-caliber receiver, the Big 10's leading passer, 8 home games, and we couldn't even make a bowl game (without anyone getting injured along the way either). If Lynch had come back the next year we would have won one to two games and still be in the funk we were in his second and third year. If you don't want to believe in this team that's your choice, and so is hating on Kevin Wilson, but it doesn't change reality.

What progress. Easier schedule fewer wins.

Higher profile wins, more consistent recruiting, and personnel on defense that have experience and talent. If over the next two years we do not see results in the win column, then we can talk about CKW's failures.

IU's football season was over the second Sudfeld separated his shoulder. Outside of Coleman, the offense literally couldn't move the ball, and as a result the defense was on the field more than they should have been and in terrible starting field position a lot of the time.

Knorr made a lot of improvements with the defense last year. Tackling technique, gap filling, pass rushing were all improved, and that was while implementing a completely new scheme. Again, it takes time to build a defense. The talent Wilson has recruited on that end were true freshmen in the 528 year, they were 19 last year. Wilson had no one on defense when he took over, and yes that is Lynch's fault. Lynch also benefited from the players Hep brought in did little to sustain what he started with. This isn't a video game where you get one talented defensive player and he single handidly shuts down an opponent's offense. Depth is crucial to CFB defense. Why do you think Penn State and USC tailed off when they got sanctioned, even though they still brought in four and five star talent on defense? Because they had no depth. IU is bringing in talent, but it takes several successive classes to parlay that into actual results.

The numbers aren't as relevant as the direction the program goes in. Wilson's team is trending upwards, Lynch's teams plateaud at the bottom of the conference after 07. This team is very close to being semi-relevant in the conference. I know that's an idiotic sounding statement, but for IUFB that is progress. There's promise in this team, and I think we've brought in a pretty good d-coordinator whose scheme will alleviate some of the deficencies that were stuck with.

Talent wise and trajectory wise, the defense WIlson is now fielding is incomparable to what IU used to have under Lynch. We have four-star talent on the defensive line an an Army AA playing safety. That's a long way from Richard Council, Chris Adkins, and Matt Ernest covering division 1 receivers. 

You want to talk about Lynch's last year? We had an NFL-caliber receiver, the Big 10's leading passer, 8 home games, and we couldn't even make a bowl game (without anyone getting injured along the way either). If Lynch had come back the next year we would have won one to two games and still be in the funk we were in his second and third year. If you don't want to believe in this team that's your choice, and so is hating on Kevin Wilson, but it doesn't change reality.

Of course the team is trending upwards. The worst team in big ten history doesn't have anywhere else to go.

You keep saying this team is making progress but that's the same crap that been getting said every summer. The facts don't back it up.

Our defense has sucked all 4 of Wilson's years. You don't get to keep blaming lynch after 4 years.

Of course the team is trending upwards. The worst team in big ten history doesn't have anywhere else to go.

You keep saying this team is making progress but that's the same crap that been getting said every summer. The facts don't back it up.

Our defense has sucked all 4 of Wilson's years. You don't get to keep blaming lynch after 4 years.

When this team played to its potential last year, they beat the eventual SEC East champions at their place. That game wasn't a fluke. It has been 20 years since an IU team has even had a ceiling like that, let alone an expectation of what they are typically capable of when things click on both sides of the ball. Not that they will be competing with ranked teams week in and week out, but that is progress. And considering there was literally no one on defense when Wilson took over, three years is enough to still blame Lynch. Year four goes on Mallory, but the program has rectifyed that situation. I agree that the excuse period is over at this point, but I don't understand why you fail to realize there were perfectly legitimate reasons outside of Wilson's control for why this team struggled his first few years.

I really think its all about the talent we get on both sides of the ball in the recruiting process.  We've got to overcome the reputation of IU football and that has not been too successful in many decades. Of course winning is key I realize that but good players have to be attracted to IUB and I hope we are making strides in that regard.

Umm hate to break it to ya but IUs football team was a complete joke they played a cakewalk schedule and still got their asses spanked six ways to sunday.  They gave up over 40 points 6 times last year.  Wilson hasn't built crap in his 4 years.  You say Lynch left him with a gimmick team.  Guess what they were last year and the 3 years prior.  A GIMMICK TEAM. 

Just a reference Lynch's last year we allowed 410 yards a game. 

Wilsons 4 years 459, 464, 528 and 434. 

So you say Lynchs teams sucked because he didn't recruit defense.  So what does that say about Wilson he recruits defensive players and his defenses are even worse. 

Just checked Lynchs worst defensive teams had 432 yards per game allowed.  Lynchs worst was better than Wilson best.

Citing last year without recognizing that we were playing our third string true freshman QB about half the time isn't fair. It is hard to stop anyone from scoring when you have to spend so much time on t be field. The defense made strides last season big ones

I don't know what Kevin Wilson did to you Brass Cannon, but even a blind person with enough reason would agree that the program is moving in the right direction. I will not argue and just let the team prove it out in the field.

Something I literally hear every single year about IU football. Just lol inducing at this point.

Something I literally hear every single year about IU football. Just lol inducing at this point.

Actually it's a relatively new conversation, I'd say in the last 4-5 yrs (shockingly under the CKW watch), that this is true. Under Lynch we digressed each year and before that (Cameron and DiNardo) it felt like we just spun our tires, neither moving or backwards. The exception would be Hep (but I'm not sure he would have been 'the guy' for long-term from an X's/O's standpoint but he was bringing excitement back to iufb).

You can not count Penn State. They were hardly the traditional Penn State.

Why not? The traditional Penn State hasn't existed in almost 20 years. They're still a good program who pulls in top-tier talent. The sanctions' effect on that game was minimal to say the least. I know that you obviously don't understand how teams build themselves, but most of those players were holdovers from the Paterno regime, the depth issues were just starting to make an impact, and Paterno would have been dead regardless, so them dealing with a new coach was going to happen regardless.

What has confounded me about IU's football team is that while our defense has sucked, our offense has been able to put points up on just about anybody not named Wisconsin. Like many of you, I thought that if we'd just have an average defense, we'd net out an additional two or three wins a year, and that ought to put us in a good position for post season play. Well, our defense showed improvement last year, from wretched to merely bad. Of course, it was then our offense's turn to tank, with Sudfield going down, and a freshmen forced in to action, way ahead of schedule. What can we expect this year? Even with so many question marks, and negative history surrounding our football team, we ought to be 3-0 heading to Wake Forest. Whether or not we can beat Wake remains to be seen. They sometimes field a decent team. With a bit of luck, and a revived offense, we might be 4-0, coming home to face....Ohio State? I'd like to think we start out the Big Ten 1-3, making us 5-3 at the bye. Then we have Iowa at home, a rebuilding Michigan at home, Maryland on the road and the scum of the earth in West Lafayette. Surely, we can find one more win out of that motley crew. If I don't have confidence, than at least I have hope.  :yes:

Why not? The traditional Penn State hasn't existed in almost 20 years. They're still a good program who pulls in top-tier talent. The sanctions' effect on that game was minimal to say the least. I know that you obviously don't understand how teams build themselves, but most of those players were holdovers from the Paterno regime, the depth issues were just starting to make an impact, and Paterno would have been dead regardless, so them dealing with a new coach was going to happen regardless.

Yeah the fact they had some down year perfectly coinciding with the sanctions is just a total coincidence. 

Even with so many question marks, and negative history surrounding our football team, we ought to be 3-0 heading to Wake Forest. Whether or not we can beat Wake remains to be seen. They sometimes field a decent team. With a bit of luck, and a revived offense, we might be 4-0, coming home to face....Ohio State? I'd like to think we start out the Big Ten 1-3, making us 5-3 at the bye. Then we have Iowa at home, a rebuilding Michigan at home, Maryland on the road and the scum of the earth in West Lafayette. Surely, we can find one more win out of that motley crew. If I don't have confidence, than at least I have hope. :yes:

The problem with this is we ALWAYS seem to lose one of the guaranteed wins. Which is why we've ended short a couple times now. So disappointing. That being said, this year we will be bowling. 100%.

Yeah the fact they had some down year perfectly coinciding with the sanctions is just a total coincidence. 

They went 7-5 that year with one quality win, which is what Penn State has been doing three out of four years for the last 15 years. What about that game would have been so different if it was just another year for them? They still would've been on to a new coach (and they got a pretty good one in O'Brien). They still would have been starting a new QB (and they had a pretty good one in Hackenberg, his freshman year anyway). They still would have been overwhelmingly starting the same players on offense and defense. Silas Redd was their only big loss from the sanction transfers, and he wasn't going to stay there by 2013. If anything, they would have had the same team without the #1 QB in that class, and probably would have been starting some 3-star from Erie, PA.

The fact is that record wise, that team wouldn't have been much different than the team they were going to be fielding anyway. The only thing you could argue would have been different is that Tom Bradley may have still been around as d-coordinator, which they were hurt by. But personnel wise in 2013 they were just about what they would have been. Last year was when the effects of the sanctions started to really hit them, as their o-line was severely depleted.