Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUHoosier5

Is Banner 6 a realistic possibility?

With Yogi announcing he will indeed be back next year as well as Thomas Bryant signing his LOI, I cannot help but get excited at the possibility of hanging Banner 6 while being a sophomore at IU. Is this actually realistic though? I just want to have a little discussion if this is actually a realistic possibility with this team or if all of our hopes are too high.

My take is that this is indeed a realistic possibility. Yogi had his best season yet and could've very well made the jump to his ultimate goal (the NBA), yet he decided to stay and serve as the captain of our most talented team in years. To me, this means that Yogi truly believes this year is a banner or bust type of year like his tweet mentioned.

JBJ also mentioned that there is "unfinished business" to do. We all know he wants to leave for the NBA, but that will only be possible if he is able to attack the time rim harder and finish as well as improve his defensive skills tremendously. I expect JBJ to contend for All-American honors.

Troy also knows that this will more than likely be his last year before the NBA barring injury. Simply, I expect him to take a huge step his junior year much like Oladipo did. Not much to add on that. We know how that story went.

HMP finally got a full season under his belt with the more minutes than he probably saw his first two years combined, and with that came valuable experience. The competition with Bryant is only going to make HMP better, and he won't be asked to do as much. I believe this will help HMP more than one expects.

Thomas Bryant...Ahhh...It sounds so great to talk about him as a Hoosier. He may only be a freshman and there will be a learning curve, but his basketball IQ, maturity, and leadership skills are going to set a fire under this team's behind and push them to great lengths. This was such a huge get for our program, and it will be evident through the course of the season.

This bench may be one of the better benches in all of NCAAB. Hartman, ROJO, Ziesloft, OG, and Morgan all bring something different to the table and will be able to do a solid job while the starters take a seat. I'm extremely confident in each and everyone of these players next year.

What do you guys think?

Next year's team is shaping up nicely. But how does this compare to the Zeller/Oladipo/Watford/Hulls team (with Elston, Sheehey and others) that won the B1G title, then melted down in the tournament?

Can we realistically expect better results in 2015-16 than in 2012-13?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Indiana certainly has all the pieces in place in theory. How will everyone gel? How will everyone progress this offseason? What is Thon Maker going to do? Lots of questions still but they are the same questions that can be asked about any team at this point in the year. You also have to wonder about the field... who else is going to make a run at it? 

Next year's team is shaping up nicely. But how does this compare to the Zeller/Oladipo/Watford/Hulls team (with Elston, Sheehey and others) that won the B1G title, then melted down in the tournament?

Can we realistically expect better results in 2015-16 than in 2012-13?

Inquiring minds want to know.

The fact that the 2012-13 team couldn't do it really makes it hard to believe this team can actually do it because of the experience they had, but I truly believe this team will be able to make a greater run. I don't know why exactly, and I wish I did.

All you can ask for in March is to have a team that has a chance to make a deep run. You do not have to be the most talented team to win it all. I feel on paper we have our horse in the race. Good guard play is crucial for success in March. Having said all this Iu won't go anywhere if defense dosent improve. I think our defense will improve with our newest additions. (The year before last we had a top 50 kenpom defense on a 17-15 team. i find it hard to believe losing Will, vonleh, and gordon took us from a top 50 adjusted defense to a adjusted defense in the 200's. I think a rim protecter will make a huge difference

Coach Crean has done a great job of recruiting. As I have posted before, no one was going to leave. Yogi is not likely to be a NBA star. He may be a good sub and can make a lot of money doing that.

Be aware that the Crean bashers will still be here hoping that we lose while claiming they are I.U. fans.

All you can ask for in March is to have a team that has a chance to make a deep run. You do not have to be the most talented team to win it all. I feel on paper we have our house in the race. Good guard play is crucial for success in March. Having said all this Iu won't go anywhere if defense dosent improve. I think our defense will improve with our newest additions. (The year before last we had a top 50 kenpom defense on a 17-15 team. i find it hard to believe losing Will, vonleh, and gordon took us from a top 50 adjusted defense to a adjusted defense in the 200's. I think a rim protecter will make a huge difference

I completely agree with this post. Thomas Bryant's impact will be most notable here. I really hope Crean will play Bryant and HMP together. What harm would it do to have to big men play together with our guards?

It's definitely a possibility. Even Vegas has pretty decent odds of Iu winning it all. I think they had it at 25:1. That was the same as duke. The NCAA tourney is a tough tourney. Any team can lose at any time. This team looks strong enough to win the big 10 for sure. That I do know.

Coach Crean has done a great job of recruiting. As I have posted before, no one was going to leave. Yogi is not likely to be a NBA star. He may be a good sub and can make a lot of money doing that.

Be aware that the Crean bashers will still be here hoping that we lose while claiming they are I.U. fans.

The problem is that he doesn't recruit well for his own system. A system that is flawed to begin with. But I have no doubt Izzo wishes he was still recruiting for him.

1. Can TB live up to the expectations that we're all piling on him?
  2. Can we improve our defense (or lack thereof)?
  3. Can we stay healthy?
  4. Can we exhibit progress as the season winds down and not our normal season ending regression?
  5. Can we avoid off-court stupidity?
  6. Can we see some better game management from the head coach?

If we can answer yes to all 6 questions, a 6th banner is a definite possibility.  If we can just answer yes to 4 of the 6, we should have a deep run at a 6th banner. 

• Can TB live up to the expectations that we're all piling on him?
  • Can we improve our defense (or lack thereof)?
  • Can we stay healthy?
  • Can we exhibit progress as the season winds down and not our normal season ending regression?
  • Can we avoid off-court stupidity?
  • Can we see some better game management from the head coach?

If we can answer yes to all 6 questions, a 6th banner is a definite possibility. If we can just answer yes to 4 of the 6, we should have a deep run at a 6th banner.
I think all of these things can happen and will happen. I just really hope we do stay healthy

1. Can TB live up to the expectations that we're all piling on him?
  2. Can we improve our defense (or lack thereof)?
  3. Can we stay healthy?
  4. Can we exhibit progress as the season winds down and not our normal season ending regression?
  5. Can we avoid off-court stupidity?
  6. Can we see some better game management from the head coach?

If we can answer yes to all 6 questions, a 6th banner is a definite possibility.  If we can just answer yes to 4 of the 6, we should have a deep run at a 6th banner. 

Will the coach use this teams strengths or will it be the same small ball experiment?

He  commented after the Iowa game that we needed to get bigger and was right.

We'll be much bigger this season.

Will he use that to his advantage? I sure hope so.