Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2015) C Caleb Swanigan to MSU

That's a problem, isn't it?  In-state kid we never had a chance at?    Nothing against Bryant, but why can we get a kid from West Virginia/New York and don't have a chance at a kid from Indiana?   That is truly frustrating to me.

His legal guardian is Roosevelt Barnes, who played at Purdue. Thinking we had a shot here is like thinking we should have gotten Glenn Robinson's son. 

That's a problem, isn't it?  In-state kid we never had a chance at?    Nothing against Bryant, but why can we get a kid from West Virginia/New York and don't have a chance at a kid from Indiana?   That is truly frustrating to me.

Among other things Barnes also told IU that they were not in the mix because of IU's Adidas Affiliation .

^^Bingo.

We never had a chance with Swanigan, and we can't fault Crean for not landing him.  I'm happy we didn't waste any time recruiting him.

He's really not much of a fit for our style of play anyways.  It sucks we'll have to play against him though, probably for 4 years as he doesn't look like a kid who will be in the NBA after 1 or 2 years.

His legal guardian is Roosevelt Barnes, who played at Purdue. Thinking we had a shot here is like thinking we should have gotten Glenn Robinson's son.

If Barnes is that loyal to Purdue he would be upset with MSU over the Dawson recruitment.

If he'd have gone to Purdue, you'd have a point.   Since he committed to Michigan State, I'm not sure what your point is, nor do I understand the Robinson reference.  Can't you make that same reference to James Blackmon?   

If he'd have gone to Purdue, you'd have a point. Since he committed to Michigan State, I'm not sure what your point is, nor do I understand the Robinson reference. Can't you make that same reference to James Blackmon?

The handler deal is only a small part of it. We deal with handlers all of the time. Thon Maker? He had no interest in IU from the beginning,

If he'd have gone to Purdue, you'd have a point. Since he committed to Michigan State, I'm not sure what your point is, nor do I understand the Robinson reference. Can't you make that same reference to James Blackmon?

I think the GRob reference validates it, though I'll admit ignorance to the role shoe companies may have played. In any case, with GRob and Swanigan you have big time northern IN kids, places with not so stellar track records for IU recruiting, who have parents/guardians who played at PU. Neither ended up at PU, and neither ever considered IU. Given their backgrounds it could be as simple as them growing up rooting against IU. It could be a lot of things. You don't see any similarities?

You could argue that the Blackmons are more an exception, or that Sr's coaching job in Indiana opens him up more to IU. I would also wager that in situations like those mentioned above, the player goes to a school that is not a rival of the parent/guardian far more often than the player ends up at a rival school, which refers back to the idea that the Blackmons are more the exception than the rule

In the end I agree it's frustrating when an Indiana kid shows no interest in IU. And it's even more frustrating that it happens so much more often than it used to.

I was not impressed with Swanigan the 3 times I have seen him. The state game against reitz he was 3 inches taller than everybody and had 20 pounds on them and he didn't look like a top 20 player. I know he is good but maybe a tad overrated and definetely doesn't fit our system.

I agree that typically if there's a 5* player in Indiana and a similar one in upstate NY, I'd prefer the one from Indiana. But in this case I think Bryant is the better fit for Crean's system and the personnel we currently have. From the footage I've seen of Swanigan, and full disclosure it's limited, he seems more like a plodding center. A guy that might not be in the best shape and more of a bruiser (which I wouldn't mind). Where Bryant is more of a fluid guy that can run the floor and fit into what we already currently do.

Swanigan---Bryant--Stone--Giddens---etc.  The BIG Ten is living up to its name and reloading once again.  I love it when the conference is tough and we are tough.  Makes us an even better team.

---Maker?