Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Starting 5 as of Today

I would LIKE to see a starting 5 of: 

1) Yogi

2) JB2

3) Troy

4) Holt

5) Bryant

I PREDICT we will see: 

1) Yogi

2) JB2

3) Rojo

4) Troy

5) Bryant

... Honestly won't be shocked if Hanner starts over Bryant though...

Yea, Crean loves his seniors. I think Hanners starts over Holt. I really want to see a more traditional lineup that allows Troy to play small forward.

Yea, Crean loves his seniors. I think Hanners starts over Holt. I really want to see a more traditional lineup that allows Troy to play small forward.

Thats what I want. I also think thats what would make us best. But, since we all know Crean loves stretching the floor, I anticipate he likes Troy/Colin at the four over Holt/Davis/Hanner

Thats what I want. I also think thats what would make us best. But, since we all know Crean loves stretching the floor, I anticipate he likes Troy/Colin at the four over Holt/Davis/Hanner

That is what old Tom Crean would do. New and improved Tom Crean ( I'm so hoping for) will do what we suggest, lol.

As nuts as this sounds, we have the option to go "big" if we need to.

Yogi, JBJ, Troy, Hanner, Bryant.   That's some serious length...Not much in the way of perimeter defense, but if we run up against a...Purdue, for example; this would all but take away the advantages they used to beat us.   

I think the more likely lineup is the one given by the OP.  Yogi, JBJ, Johnson, Williams, Bryant; but at least we have options, and I think Morgan is going to make a case for himself, too.

Yogi

JBJ

Troy

HMP

Bryant

I would rather see Holt start in the place of HMP, but Crean would never do that. The reason for this lineup is so we would have RoJo to come off the bench for Yogi/JBJ. Having two players inside allows us to do more things. I remember the way Jeffries and Newton worked together. When the ball got inside. One defended the ball while the other would come over and block the shot. We put a lot of pressure on a single post player without having help inside.

Holt is a better rebounder and scorer than HMP. HMP gets the start simply because of his experience.  Holt and Morgan could take minutes in the 4 wile backing up Bryant. If we start 3 guards, they will get worn down and our depth with Davis/Holt/Anunoby/Morgan/HMP would be wasted. Start HMP or Holt and we can use or build more depth.

2016 has to be the year to bring in pg's.

I may have a breakdown if I see Hartman playing inside this year. Put him on the wing where he can score and defend.

Starters: Bryant, Yogi, Morgan, Troy, Blackmon.

If Devin is able to come back full speed, I think it might be wise to redshirt Holt this year. With Hartman, Hanner and Davis all filling the 6-7 or better bench slots, someone could be saved for later.

With Zeisloft and RoJo in the mix, that gives us 10 guys (barring injury, of course), which is about the max. that can get significant playing time even with a redshirt.

Bryant is a bull compared to thon that's all I'm saying so I would rather see Bryant banging with the centers

I don't think that if they were on the court together they would have a set position, whether it be the 4 or the 5. They would just match up against whoever they match up against better. For example, Thon would be better guarding someone like Frank Kaminsky, but TB would be better guarding someone like AJ Hammons.

I still believe that Nick Z will be gone, but I hope not!  We'll find out soon enough though.

If Z leaves, we would have to replace him with another guard. I suppose someone would propose that Troy could play a guard, but they would be wrong without a lot of work. Remember trying to turn Hollowell into a pg?  That failed miserably.

If Z left, what are the odds we would get a better player more ready to step in and play at this time? Who is available?

I'm thinking it'll be the same as this year with one difference:

Yogi

Blackmon

Johnson

Williams 

Bryant

Bryant in place of Hanner will help the defense because someone will be able to challenge shots at the rim, our perimeter players have to start giving a crap about staying in front of someone though.

Agree, the guys on the outside have to do a much better job of stopping their man. If the guys on the outside play defense like they did last year, even Bryant will look as if his head is on a swivel. 

If Z leaves, we would have to replace him with another guard. I suppose someone would propose that Troy could play a guard, but they would be wrong without a lot of work. Remember trying to turn Hollowell into a pg?  That failed miserably.

If Z left, what are the odds we would get a better player more ready to step in and play at this time? Who is available?

I assume this is why we are looking at Mulder.

I think we could see a BIG improvement from Hanner this off season. Don't underestimate the influence that legitimate competition for playing time can have on a player's development. HMP was the guy by default this year. Bryant will push Hanner to be much, much better next year. Probably too little, too late, but I think Hanner will have the biggest jump this off season.

And I'll bet you think the Easter Bunny is real?   :shout:        It would be wonderful if we did but I'm not holding my breath.  In fact I think he potentially becomes the odd man out in the rotation.

This has been a fun thought of mine since Saturday after finding out about the addition of Thomas Bryant. Coach Crean has a lot of options next season, but I would think that the one thing that he knows he must improve is the Defense.  There's really no way of sugar coating it, IU was horrible at Defense this season.

I could easily say that we return all of our starters, and that we could go for chemistry and just start the same guys as we did this year only substitute Bryant for Hanner, but I still don't think that improves our Defense.  I really feel that for IU to make a noticeable improvement on Defense that Coach Crean has got to play bigger players on the court together .  Not only does Coach Crean like to play 3 guard lineups, but the guards that he's started together have typically been small guards, and while they've been effective on offense they've often times been exploited, defensively.

Next year, assuming everyone that's a core player comes back, then I'd like to see Yogi and James Blackmon Jr in the back court.  With Troy on the wing, Collin playing a stretch 4 kind of role and Thomas Bryant down low.  This lineup allows us to play bigger players which should help defensively, it lets Troy play his more natural position, it gives Collin more possibilities to do what he does best; find open shooters and make plays with the best offensive players that we have on the court, and it allows Bryant to be able to kick out to two of our better shooters and have space to make plays for himself around the hoop.  While I think that Rob Johnson is deserving to start, with only 4 guards on the roster, I think that he will need to be Yogi's backup.   From a Defensive standpoint, it allows us to match up against teams that have more size while still maintaining the ability to stretch the floor, but one key thing is that we will finally have weak side help around the rim.  

This has been a fun thought of mine since Saturday after finding out about the addition of Thomas Bryant. Coach Crean has a lot of options next season, but I would think that the one thing that he knows he must improve is the Defense.  There's really no way of sugar coating it, IU was horrible at Defense this season.

I could easily say that we return all of our starters, and that we could go for chemistry and just start the same guys as we did this year only substitute Bryant for Hanner, but I still don't think that improves our Defense.  I really feel that for IU to make a noticeable improvement on Defense that Coach Crean has got to play bigger players on the court together .  Not only does Coach Crean like to play 3 guard lineups, but the guards that he's started together have typically been small guards, and while they've been effective on offense they've often times been exploited, defensively.

Next year, assuming everyone that's a core player comes back, then I'd like to see Yogi and James Blackmon Jr in the back court.  With Troy on the wing, Collin playing a stretch 4 kind of role and Thomas Bryant down low.  This lineup allows us to play bigger players which should help defensively, it lets Troy play his more natural position, it gives Collin more possibilities to do what he does best; find open shooters and make plays with the best offensive players that we have on the court, and it allows Bryant to be able to kick out to two of our better shooters and have space to make plays for himself around the hoop.  While I think that Rob Johnson is deserving to start, with only 4 guards on the roster, I think that he will need to be Yogi's backup.   From a Defensive standpoint, it allows us to match up against teams that have more size while still maintaining the ability to stretch the floor, but one key thing is that we will finally have weak side help around the rim.  

By calling the defense horrible you did sugar coat it.

I like RoJo as 6th man also.

Depending on matchups would like to see Holt and Hartman share the 4 spot with Hanner relieving Bryant.